Opinions?

Is an ebony neck much better than rosewood?

I've not tried ebony, if I had the choice is it much of a difference?
You mean fingerboard, don't you?
I prefer dark rosewood because it just so beautiful.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yes, fretboard.
I found a nice 7 string with ebony cheaper than a 6 with rosewood and I'm really torn between the 2.

The 7 is nicer it seems by I hair I assume, but I dunno if I'm ready for 7 strings as my main guitar.
Quote by Deadlok
I found a nice 7 string with ebony cheaper than a 6 with rosewood and I'm really torn between the 2.

The 7 is nicer it seems by I hair I assume, but I dunno if I'm ready for 7 strings as my main guitar.

In that case, you shouldn't be judging by fingerboard alone. If six strings are more important to you, then the difference between rosewood and ebony should be negligible.
Quote by Deadlok
Yes, fretboard.

well dont choose because of the fretboard...what are the two guitars?
i;ve always wanted a 7 string
deffinately ebony, rosewood sounds too muddy for me. ebony is a nice hard wood with a good sound to it.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
It's the Schecter Blackjack ATX c-7 over a Hellraiser C-1

Tough, the 7 is actually about $60 cheaper

The aged look of the ATX is also awesome but it lacks the abalone binding.

I dunno mostly I feel 7 strings are harder to play, just better sound.
Maybe I should learn.

But mostly do you think the ebony fingerboard is a big +?
Last edited by Deadlok at Jan 19, 2009,
they feel a bit different and sound a bit different. depends on what you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deadlok

The aged look of the ATX is also awesome but it lacks the abalone binding.

I dunno mostly I feel 7 strings are harder to play, just better sound.
Maybe I should learn.

But mostly do you think the ebony fingerboard is a big +?

I'd take the 7 over the hellraiser any day.The ATX has better tone and feel than the hellraiser series IMO and the 7th string and ebony board just seals the deal.When I switched to 7 strings there wasn't much of a learning curve,it took me about an hour to get used to the neck,so don't let that stop you.Also,the ATX lacking the abalone binding and those tacky cross inlays is a big plus IMO ahah.

Make sure to play both of them or actually spend some time on the 7 before you buy just to make sure you like the guitar you decide on.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The prob is I can't play either in the UK... I'll have to push the button online..... I'm so tempted.

I hear you bro.
Quote by Deadlok

well you've played them both right?
whats your input?
i would get the blackjack, for quite a few reasons.
i like blackouts better than 81/85s.
i love 7 strings, and do not have one(nor do you i assume)
and i forget the third sorry lol
EDIT: sorry that was late, well which do you like better emgs or seymour duncans?
try to narrow it down
Quote by gnaraaron
deffinately ebony, rosewood sounds too muddy for me. ebony is a nice hard wood with a good sound to it.

so steve vai, and satch have muddy tone????
Quote by Deadlok
The prob is I can't play either in the UK... I'll have to push the button online..... I'm so tempted.

I hear you bro.

They're both decent guitars,but the ATX has the extra string and the better pups IMO.I also hate the super glossy neck on the hellraiser,the vintage finish on the ATX feels much better to me.The low B opens up a whole new world of possibilities if you're going to use it,so I think the ATX wins hands down on this one.Just make sure that if you order online you end up going with a company that has a good return policy.Nobody wants to end up stuck with a guitar they don't like.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I respect your replies, I'm kind of wary of the 7 string, I mean it's a whole lead of neck.
Only really because I don't have a good 6 I'm happy with.

I worry about getting used to playing only the e down or changing positions.
Bit to get your head around.

But thanks for the replies it does solidify what I assumed, which is the 7 is a much better deal.
I totally hear you Prognut, but I do kind of like the abalone in the pics.

Do you reckon it looks bad?

I think the aged finish is much more classic.
Black also looks awesome , the binding looks yellowish in pics.

They only have the white available atm though.
it is all prefernce.. also depends what style music your playing as well.. I have ebony and i love it. Rosewood is good too. Try em both out and just see what feels/works best for you.
i'd say ebony as its smoother, but it doesnt look as nice
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote: Originally Posted by gnaraaron deffinately ebony, rosewood sounds too muddy for me. ebony is a nice hard wood with a good sound to it. so steve vai, and satch have muddy tone????

Do appreciate this stuff doesn't make much difference, good is good. but there's still better!

Thanks for the replies, I really dunno, I'm used to a 6 and the players I admire do fine with 6.

I really do think the white c-1 hellraiser looks PIMP from the pics.

tough choice.
Quote by Deadlok
I totally hear you Prognut, but I do kind of like the abalone in the pics.

Do you reckon it looks bad?

I think the aged finish is much more classic.
Black also looks awesome , the binding looks yellowish in pics.

They only have the white available atm though.

I think abalone looks good when used selectively,but the whole body treatment seems a bit too flashy and gaudy to me.It seems like an attempt to make the guitar stand out way too much.Then again,I'm a minimalist when it comes to binding and stuff like that.I like guitars with no neck binding,just side dots on wood,and if I can find it,no inlays on the board.That's probably why I like the ATX more than the HR.Different binding and a minimalist approach to the inlays on an ebony board with the flat vintage finish appeals to me more.When I went out and did extensive play tests with both an ATX and HR model I found the ATX to be superior as far as feel/playability/and sound went.To me the HR just seemed like a really dressed up mid-range guitar and didn't wow me and make me an instant fan.A lot of people on here will tell you things like "Zomg the hellraiser is teh best evar!!!" but IMO I've played guitars that are a lot better, and a few of them are other Schecters,mainly the ATX series,The Loomis sig,and above all,the Stiletto Classic.

In the end it's completely up to you but I figured I'd just explain why I always pick the ATX over the HR in threads like these.The HR is nice,but now that the ATX is out,in my opinion the HR is no longer their best buy at that price point.

I think abalone looks good when used selectively,but the whole body treatment seems a bit too flashy and gaudy to me.It seems like an attempt to make the guitar stand out way too much.Then again,I'm a minimalist when it comes to binding and stuff like that.I like guitars with no neck binding,just side dots on wood,and if I can find it,no inlays on the board.That's probably why I like the ATX more than the HR.Different binding and a minimalist approach to the inlays on an ebony board with the flat vintage finish appeals to me more.When I went out and did extensive play tests with both an ATX and HR model I found the ATX to be superior as far as feel/playability/and sound went.To me the HR just seemed like a really dressed up mid-range guitar and didn't wow me and make me an instant fan.A lot of people on here will tell you things like "Zomg the hellraiser is teh best evar!!!" but IMO I've played guitars that are a lot better, and a few of them are other Schecters,mainly the ATX series,The Loomis sig,and above all,the Stiletto Classic. In the end it's completely up to you but I figured I'd just explain why I always pick the ATX over the HR in threads like these.The HR is nice,but now that the ATX is out,in my opinion the HR is no longer their best buy at that price point.

Thanks man, I would probably go for the flashier side but I do agree this is an awesome guitar.
Specs are sick for this price point, Ido also have a blackout in my RG560 and it's hot as hell.

I do kind of like that abalone and the bolt is a bit cheesy I think.
The finish does seem better though.
GRRR aged white with mother of pearl binding!!!! BLING BLING

I think i'm sold on the 7 though, I should really get with a 7 rather than tuning down.

It's just a big POS compared to my Ibanez, would give me good reason to practise that much harder I guess if anything.
Quote by Deadlok
Thanks man, I would probably go for the flashier side but I do agree this is an awesome guitar.
Specs are sick for this price point, Ido also have a blackout in my RG560 and it's hot as hell.

I think i'm sold on the 7 though, I should really get with a 7 rather than tuning down.

It's just a big POS compared to my Ibanez, would give me good reason to practise that much harder I guess if anything.

remember that there are insanely expensive guitars with bolt ons....frankenstrat would be the most, and all strats for that matter
yeah, I don't think it makes much difference as long as there's good contact.
Quote by Deadlok

My main reason for not liking the HR is the glossy neck,I can't stand them,they always get sticky and feel odd to me when I play them hahah.The down tuning issue is one of the main reasons why I switched to playing 7 strings.It's nice to have standard and drop tuning on the same guitar.I play anything from classical Spanish style cleans to progressive metal so it's a huge help.I just tune the first 6 to standard then drop the low B down.Some people say that the 7th string makes playing six string material harder,but I haven't noticed any problems with it.I can play all my old six string material on my 7 with no problems at all.It's actual made my picking and runs on the low E a lot smoother and accurate since I have to clean up my picking on it to compensate for the 7th string.It's also sweet to get that body shaking low end out of your chords using the low B ahah.

My main reason for not liking the HR is the glossy neck,I can't stand them,they always get sticky and feel odd to me when I play them hahah.The down tuning issue is one of the main reasons why I switched to playing 7 strings.It's nice to have standard and drop tuning on the same guitar.I play anything from classical Spanish style cleans to progressive metal so it's a huge help.I just tune the first 6 to standard then drop the low B down.Some people say that the 7th string makes playing six string material harder,but I haven't noticed any problems with it.I can play all my old six string material on my 7 with no problems at all.It's actual made my picking and runs on the low E a lot smoother and accurate since I have to clean up my picking on it to compensate for the 7th string.It's also sweet to get that body shaking low end out of your chords using the low B ahah.

Yeah I totally hear you, also I get what you're saying about the gloss, the black HR I saw in vids was fingerprinted to hell.

It prob looks a lot better with the aged finish in the flesh

Thanks a lot for the opinions, either of these I'm sure will do much to improve my satisfaction if I pony up the $.
If you want some of the looks of the HR series with the same vintage flat finish and 7th string as the ATX you could always look around for one of these:

Yeah,I kinda had to suggest it just because it's really unique with the maple board and hard ash body.

didn't really see any mention of tonal characteristics, although I only glanced over it, ebony has a brighter, sharper attack than rosewood, rosewood is warmer, smoother etc.. don't expect it to be a huge difference though.
Wow maple, that's awesome.
More like the Loomis.

Really I always liked maple cause I liked the way my original squier got totally imprinted with my fingers.

I really don't like the Celtic inlays though, even dots are better.
The vine inlay's the best for sure.

Also a serious lack of pots on that one.
Quote by Deadlok
Wow maple, that's awesome.
More like the Loomis.

Really I always liked maple cause I liked the way my original squier got totally imprinted with my fingers.

I really don't like the Celtic inlays though, even dots are better.
The vine inlay's the best for sure.

Also a serious lack of pots on that one.

Yeah,I was looking into this model and came to the conclusion that the only way I could use it for all my stuff would be to add an 18 volt mod to the pups and put a concentric pot on there to have my tone control back haha.It does play amazingly well though,the FR version is bad ass.I like the vine inlays as well.I saw an Ibanez J custom 7 string a while back that had a full board vine of life style inlay done with abalone,MOP,and various colored pearloid.It looked awesome.

Yeah,I was looking into this model and came to the conclusion that the only way I could use it for all my stuff would be to add an 18 volt mod to the pups and put a concentric pot on there to have my tone control back haha.It does play amazingly well though,the FR version is bad ass.I like the vine inlays as well.I saw an Ibanez J custom 7 string a while back that had a full board vine of life style inlay done with abalone,MOP,and various colored pearloid.It looked awesome

I think that would be truly \m/.
Ash body is great, just needs some pots, other guitar i seriously have been considering is GIbson U2 because of the great build and config options.

For crazy bodies I'm still lusting after the Zemantis pearl Daita from Siam Shade uses.
Quote by Deadlok
I think that would be truly \m/.
Ash body is great, just needs some pots, other guitar i seriously have been considering is GIbson U2 because of the great build and config options.

For crazy bodies I'm still lusting after the Zemantis pearl Daita from Siam Shade uses.

I'm currently looking into an Agile for my next guitar.They make a 7 that has similar features to the Schecter hellraiser except it doesn't have the abalone,has an ebony board with no inlays,and has a deep green dyed quilted maple top.

I heard somewhere that they also make models built to your specs for really cheap.I'm going to look into it since I'd love the guitar I mentioned with a thinner neck that has a satin or oil finish on it.

Quote by xander307
i'd say ebony as its smoother, but it doesnt look as nice

I actually prefer the look of Ebony to Rosewood...too many guitars have Rosewood...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Pr0gNut
If you want some of the looks of the HR series with the same vintage flat finish and 7th string as the ATX you could always look around for one of these:

Yeah,I kinda had to suggest it just because it's really unique with the maple board and hard ash body.

Hey that looks like my C7FR jus w/o the FR . Tho Im adding another vol and tone knob, Im a custom wood worker once im done you would think it was made like that. I will post pics when done

The main difference between Rosewood and ebony is a couple hundred dollars. if you keep your fretboard polished theres not a whole lot of difference.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 19, 2009,
cocobolo is the sex. my guitars have rosewood though. ive also liked figured maple too.