Page 1 of 3
that tone lies in your wood choice a lot more than i previously thought.

this walnut RG is obnoxious...

not necessarily in a BAD way, but it has the same JB pickup as a previous alder strat that i build, the difference is night and day, really.

the alder strat has a more muddy tone where as i could pump the peavey ultra 60 to ultra gain on master volume of 6 and pick a G chord note for note and i wouldnt hear the treble strings at all, whereas the walnut RG i can hear every note, quite sharply at that.

i guess its a good thing, but its definitely got some growl, rattles windows when i pump the bass strings, melts the faces of those who loved Mick Mars when i rip on the trebles.

yes the tests picked up relative frequencies of the strings vibrations through the pickups, but there could be some phenomenon resting within the movement of the strings and air waves coming from the type of wood.

i think there is alot more to the whole "tone" thing than many people think.

who wants a youtube clip?
I do! I do!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Me too!

I also find it absurd that the tests done by professionals used Alder and Ash in Telecasters, two of the most similar sounding woods in guitars that had metal surrounding the pickup, thereby making them sound even more similar.

Dumbasses
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
yeah, I pretty much just roll my eyes at people that say the sound of a guitar is coming 100% from the pickups, to even say mostly from the pickups would still be massively inaccurate. I always believed that tonewood had a small effect on the overall tone of the guitar till I completely transferred the electronics (Pickups, pots, switch, everything) from one guitar to another. They sounded really dark in the first guitar it was a nice creamy bluesy sound, just what I wanted, but the guitar it self left something to be desired so I put the electronics in the second guitar and they became much too bright for my taste, they sounded completely different. After I started modding guitars more, and switching out pickups and what not, I began to realize that the sound of a guitar as a whole has little to do with the pickups and more to do with the tone wood. It's actually gotten to the point where I don't even switch out pickups anymore unless they die, cause if you want to change the tone your guitar by replacing any electronic component then replacing the potentiometers and tone caps yields much more noticeable results.
Last edited by david_highland at Jan 19, 2009,
Are you sure you're an idiot?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
LP, now just sit back and enjoy your discovery, whilst experimenting. Let the forum experts who know everything keep on telling the newbies that wood choice equates to nothing!

Welcome to 'the other side'

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
I feel like a huge asshole, because I've spent the better part of 2 years telling people the exact opposit of this.

For the first time in a long time, I fail epically.

Thanks for telling us Kyle, now we all have some real evidence to go through.

YOUTUBEZ NAO.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
its uploading! i took the video with a turdy digital camera, but its got mad shreds, and a GREAT demonstration of bolt-on neck sustain =]

ormsby, i assumed that you either A) died, B) got kidnapped, taken overseas, sexually molested and left in an ally in a foreign country or, C) hated UG.

glad to see you back.
Quote by ormsby guitars
LP, now just sit back and enjoy your discovery, whilst experimenting. Let the forum experts who know everything keep on telling the newbies that wood choice equates to nothing!

Welcome to 'the other side'

Holy Shit its Perry Ormsby
Don't you hate how long youtube takes to upload...

*refreshing page every 5 seconds*

haha

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by guitarcam123
"this video is unavailable"

It musn't be up yet.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Interesting.
Quote by YouTube
This video is unavailable.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
yeah, it works now. I like your playing.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper

I was hoping for a comparison as well...
sounds awesome non the less...

listen to the sustain, you could go have a bite and it would still be ringing
Thank god, now I don't feel like a retard when someone yells at me for reccomending a guitar because of a certain tonewood.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
oh wow, nice im not a fan of shred really but youve got a nice tone, the clean stuff was really nice and thing can sustain
Quote by LP Addict
that tone lies in your wood choice a lot more than i previously thought.

this walnut RG is obnoxious...

not necessarily in a BAD way, but it has the same JB pickup as a previous alder strat that i build, the difference is night and day, really.

the alder strat has a more muddy tone where as i could pump the peavey ultra 60 to ultra gain on master volume of 6 and pick a G chord note for note and i wouldnt hear the treble strings at all, whereas the walnut RG i can hear every note, quite sharply at that.

i guess its a good thing, but its definitely got some growl, rattles windows when i pump the bass strings, melts the faces of those who loved Mick Mars when i rip on the trebles.

yes the tests picked up relative frequencies of the strings vibrations through the pickups, but there could be some phenomenon resting within the movement of the strings and air waves coming from the type of wood.

i think there is alot more to the whole "tone" thing than many people think.

who wants a youtube clip?

I get really sick of everyone saying wood doesn't affect tone when someone asks it makes a big difference.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by BD 425
yeah, it works now. I like your playing.

aye, you've got better chops than you let on about.
Quote by Øttər
I feel like a huge asshole, because I've spent the better part of 2 years telling people the exact opposit of this.

For the first time in a long time, I fail epically.

Thanks for telling us Kyle, now we all have some real evidence to go through.

YOUTUBEZ NAO.

How does someone send you a message on here? Comes up with 'user not found'...

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Send me an e-mail, the PM system does not recognize the characters in my name.

My e-mail address is on my profile.

EDIT: Annoying to do business with me?

Sorry, I'll stop buying hundreds of dollars of your things .

By the way, when does your allparts order get in?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Øttər
Send me an e-mail, the PM system does not recognize the characters in my name.

My e-mail address is on my profile.

EDIT: Annoying to do business with me?

Sorry, I'll stop buying hundreds of dollars of your things .

By the way, when does your allparts order get in?

Me and you both Otter...not to be pushy or anything Kyle ...hey Otter. is Otter your name or have you got a different one?

EDIT: oh and LP do you have any rosewood or ebony fingerboard blanks you would be willing to stick in the box with my shipment of parts? If so what kinda $$$ do you want?
Last edited by lumberjack at Jan 19, 2009,
i never really wanted to believe that the wood didnt matter. physics tells me the opposite, and i usually listen to physics, cause more often that not, it wins.
Page 1 of 3