Hello all, this is my first post here, I will try to make it quick and concise.

I received a Squire Strat as a gift and I have been practicing steadily for about 45 minutes to an hour a day for the past few weeks.

After a few days I started to develop callouses and was able to play longer without my fingers hurting. The problem is, the skin underneat them has started to become exposed and my fingers are hurting again.

Is this normal? Or does this mean I am pushing to hard? How long should I expect to practice before I will have steady callouses and can go forever without my fingers hurting?

Thanks!
Dont worry man,it's normal. It used to happen to me too when I first started out but I can go hours without develping thm
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
I had that problem too. Dead skin comes back quick so I'd wait for a bit until you have a pad again. Soon enough they come back and they won't do it ever again.
GEAR
Guitars
Yamaha RGS-121
IBANEZ GIO GAX30
Sound
ACQUIRING AMP
Boss ME-6 multi-effects
Boss DS-1

New things are in order.
My fingers used to bleed all the time. It's normal. Just gotta tough it out.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
Perfectly normal dude. Your fingers are just going to get tougher and you'll be playing longer. Thats what you want!
Quote by musicjunkie207
My fingers used to bleed all the time. It's normal. Just gotta tough it out.

bleeding's not normal... O__o feeling sore is normal, bleeding is not.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It's normal. Your fingers will peel/flake a number of times before the calloused skin settles in. Expect it to take a few month's before this stops happening.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
I have never even gotten callouses. Even playing hours in a row multiple days in a row will not put callouses on my fingers. However, my fingers definitely become stronger, and they only hurt after the occasional full day practices. So I wouldn't worry so much about callouses being there as much as building up finger strength.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Does it become easier to bend the fingers for certain chords, like G/C major when I have built up more strength, or is that independent of the callouses?
If you're just starting guitar, you should worry about things that matter. Like MUSCLE MEMORY so get used to running exercises.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
If u stick your hand in pickle juice. I heard that helps, or like some people do. Pee on it, but i wouldn't do that; if it doesn't disgust you though u might wanna give it a try
Quote by master_ofmetal
If u stick your hand in pickle juice. I heard that helps, or like some people do. Pee on it, but i wouldn't do that; if it doesn't disgust you though u might wanna give it a try

Where the hell do you get this information?! Lol. I've never heard that 2nd one. Although, I've heard the first...and also soaking your hands in like warm(?) water for a few minutes before playing.
Quote by raevin
Where the hell do you get this information?! Lol. I've never heard that 2nd one. Although, I've heard the first...and also soaking your hands in like warm(?) water for a few minutes before playing.

Soaking your fingers in water and then playing destroys callouses. If you've ever taken a nice hot shower an then played guitar you'll know what I mean. It hurts more too because your skin gets sensitive.

I think that moisturizing your fingers actually helps you build callouses because it prevents your hard callouses from ripping off, which then turn into a soft callous. The desirable guitar callous is actually a soft one, not a hard one.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Soaking your fingers in water and then playing destroys callouses. If you've ever taken a nice hot shower an then played guitar you'll know what I mean. It hurts more too because your skin gets sensitive.

I think that moisturizing your fingers actually helps you build callouses because it prevents your hard callouses from ripping off, which then turn into a soft callous. The desirable guitar callous is actually a soft one, not a hard one.

Is this also true for very fast exposure to water, like when I'm washing my hands?

I tend to practice a little at night after a shower, guess I'll have to stop doing that. = /
In the beginning your fingertips will hurt when playing and feel numb when you aren't. After a while you will develop calousses and you won't be in pain when playing. There may be ways to speed up the development of your callouses, but daily practice will get you there eventually.

As said, hard callouses aren't good, in fact they're uncomfortable and can be painful when playing. Leathery callouses are what you want. I sand down my hard callousses with a special vulcanic stone. I don't know what it's called in english, but you can probably find it where you would buy skin care products.
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase
As said, hard callouses aren't good, in fact they're uncomfortable and can be painful when playing. Leathery callouses are what you want. I sand down my hard callousses with a special vulcanic stone. I don't know what it's called in english, but you can probably find it where you would buy skin care products.

Vulcanic stone? You mean pumice, right?

Quote by Syz10
Is this also true for very fast exposure to water, like when I'm washing my hands?

I tend to practice a little at night after a shower, guess I'll have to stop doing that. = /

I don't believe so, but make sure your hands are really dry anyway. You'll rust the strings if you don't. I dunno about you, but I take really hot showers, which is why my callouses used to rip off if I played after a shower.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Vulcanic stone? You mean pumice, right?

Exactly that. In danish it's called "pimpsten". I didn't attempt a translation, because I wouldn't want anyone going to a store asking for "pimp stone"
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Definitely avoid playing after a hot shower. I take hot showers as well and have had bad experiences playing right after it. Personally I never use moisturizer on my fingers because I like them to be rough and although I'm probably wrong, I don't think it helps build callouses. While playing alot helps beld callouses, remember that your skin has to heal and in order for them to form, so if you feel like you can't stop playing then go all out but rest the next day.
I don't need a sig....
After i've had my callouses for about a month, I cut them off to grow new ones because the old ones just take a real battering,
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
After i've had my callouses for about a month, I cut them off to grow new ones because the old ones just take a real battering,

You cut them off? You should just buff them with a file man, works great!
Quote by Staind4201
You cut them off? You should just buff them with a file man, works great!

Oh yeah? Never tried that. Will do it next time.
I normally use nails clippers to cut them off.

But I have some amazing skin on my tips now, especially my middle finger, rock hard, but it's really smooth, i'm sure that'l all change in a few weeks though when I get round to it next time.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Like Captive said, a soft callouse is more deirable than a hard one. I've been playing for a while now, and do not have any callouses, but I can play 8 hours straight without hurting my fingers or anything. And like everyone else said, you'll develop callouses with time. If you want to develop them faster, however, play acoustic guitar for a while.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Callouses are things that develop over months/years of playing, not over a few weeks.
They will come in time young grasshopper