So I have always played in E standard. I always had a floyd too, but I just got a new guitar, Jackson Kevin Bond Rhoads, so I decided to drop C the guitar. Is there going to be any problems?I have searched and called a few local stores, and have heard about 3 different things:

" it will be fine, just put 12s on it and use a chromatic tuner"

"the inotation will be messed up"

" put 12s on it and then adjust the truss rod"

Is it going to be all of these a couple or none? I've never adjusted any of these, and know there are plenty of post on this site to help guide me through this
Honestly...I wouldn't put 12's on it...

I used 56-10 when I would drop D or C.

If you want to be absolutely positive, I would put on some thicker strings, and either learn how to do a set up, or just take it to a shop and have it set up.

I've never had any problems when I did it though...
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
if the guitar is set up in E standard you will have to adjust the neck and bridge to get the intonation right and fix any fret buzz problems. you will also have to get thicker strings so that they don't flop around, other than that you should be good to go.

Instead of 12's try 11's with a low end. 11-50 or something like that.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Use light top/heavy bottoms. Those work well for drop C. Check your intonation when you're done putting them on. If it didn't change, you're good to go. If it did change, go ahead and do a setup. Too easy.
Quote by CodySG
Honestly...I wouldn't put 12's on it...

I used 56-10 when I would drop D or C.

If you want to be absolutely positive, I would put on some thicker strings, and either learn how to do a set up, or just take it to a shop and have it set up.

I've never had any problems when I did it though...

do not put 12s on, i played my guitar in drop A today with 9's on it. it had absolutely no fret buzz and the strings weren't too loose at all... just put some 9s or 10s on it...
I hate 9's...and regular 10's...

It's whatever feels right honestly, but as a general heavy strings work well with lower tunings.
You may need to use thicker strings if you don't like the feel of slimmer strings tuned down, which many people don't. Thicker strings will also help with tuning stability when tuning down.

Thigns to bear in mind when tunign down with thicker strings though is your guitar will need a complete set-up for them. This means having the nut slots widened (which can't be undone) or having a new nut fitted (which could be undone but many would argue this would still be ruining the guitar), re-intonated, you'll likely have to have the truss rod tightened a bit, and you'll need to start using higher action if you want to have any sustain.

To be perfectly honest, if you can afford drop-tuning, do. It can even be better to tune the guitar to a different standard tuning rather than drop-tuning because of the tension difference (e.g. tuning to D Standard is healthier and easier on the guitar rather than tuning Drop-D, assuming it's properly set-up both ways)
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Honestly...I think that's a bit much.

I mean yeah, if you want just absolute PERFECTION sure, go all out...but most people are just wanting to jam only or with friends, maybe start a band.

In my opinion it's really not worth going through that much, unless you're in a pro band doing world tours.

I've had guitars go from standard using 10-56, drop D using the same guage, d standar 11-52 and haven't really had any problems.

If you really think it's worth it, sure, but again in my opinion you're guitar isn't going to blow up if you down tune and just put some thicker strings on.
well, I didn't get a chance to get back on here before leaving for my friends to change the strings I had already bought(12s from the other day). I ended up buying a Korg pitchblack tuner while I was out too, nice tuner I got in drop C, but the 12s didn't fit well in the nut and looking at the the above post, I am a little worried that I could've messed that up? The intonation seems to be fine, but if you hold the guitar so your eye is looking down the neck the middle of the fret board is a little bit farther from the strings, just a little, but it's bothering me since I just got the guitar.

So my ?'s are:
Did I mess up my original set up by switching to 12s from 9s and drop C tuning?

Should I take those 12s off right now so there's less stress on the neck and put lighter gauge strings on tomorrow?

If I put lighter gauge strings on will not be the same as it was before the 12s and drop tuning?

Should I just leave it?
I play Drop D with 10-46s on my LTD, and Drop C with 10-52s on my Ibanez.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I dont think the stock nut is meant to take those thick strings, mine barely takes the 11's that I use
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Loosened up the strings last night, and am going to get some 10s or 11s today. Hopefully the nut isn't messed up now.
I dont like thin bottoms, so i use the DAddario Jazz Med 13-56's for my Drop C tuning.

I needed a setup to get my guitar right, cost 40$ since I didn't trust myself doing it. That got everything innotated right, action down to as low as it could go, and the nut refiled.
Quote by Lancelundy
I dont like thin bottoms, so i use the DAddario Jazz Med 13-56's for my Drop C tuning.

I needed a setup to get my guitar right, cost 40$ since I didn't trust myself doing it. That got everything innotated right, action down to as low as it could go, and the nut refiled.

That's a pretty good deal, the local shop wants $75.00
to be completely honest, I would only suggest you getting the guitar set up for drop tuning if you're going to stay in that tuning. I switch tunings once in a while, anywhere from drop C to E standard, and i don't have fret buzz. Of course, I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but from personal experience I say that a set of thicker strings (nothing rediculous, I use 11s) and a little bit of patience (strings take a while to stay in tune when changing tuning) will do you just fine for drop tunings
your guitar will be fine if you drop tune it, i play with super light strings and i down tune to drop B all the time, just dont leave it droped tuned for several months, if you doo then compsate with either heaveir strings or adjust the truss rod.

super lights are .09mm-.46mm i think
Quote by DespisedIcon
I'd get something like 11-59s.

11's are great they can drop tune but arent like SUPER thick I use them on my RG and play in Eb most of the time sometimes D Standard. I realize those arent drop tunings but yeah anyway.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
nothing will be wrong with it. your strings will be floppier than if you were in standard and your strings will break easier than if you had 12s on but thats it. it won't wreck your guitar.i use 13's for drop c (regrettably)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by locosenor13
to be completely honest, I would only suggest you getting the guitar set up for drop tuning if you're going to stay in that tuning. I switch tunings once in a while, anywhere from drop C to E standard, and i don't have fret buzz. Of course, I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but from personal experience I say that a set of thicker strings (nothing rediculous, I use 11s) and a little bit of patience (strings take a while to stay in tune when changing tuning) will do you just fine for drop tunings

true, i was under the impression that you are serious. My guitar is set up so nicely for Drop C or B that I can not tune up to standard, even with a 10-46 gauge. It simply will not play since i have the action as low as it can go and the tensions set perfectly. But boy she is fun and as smooth as butter.
Quote by Lancelundy
true, i was under the impression that you are serious. My guitar is set up so nicely for Drop C or B that I can not tune up to standard, even with a 10-46 gauge. It simply will not play since i have the action as low as it can go and the tensions set perfectly. But boy she is fun and as smooth as butter.

I had to go get 2 professional setups before it felt right to me but now it feels great. Mines setup for Eb but I used to use D Standard and I still use the 11's for Eb. I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys they feel great to me anyway.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112