I am trying to set the intonation on a Squier Strat. I have adjusted the saddles to get the same note on open and the fretted 12th, but some of the frets in between play sharp. This is particularly noticeable when I compare the 5th fret note to the open note of the next higher string. The tone is significantly different. This is most prominent on the lower strings. Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment of the neck or the entire bridge that is needed? I'd appreciate some guidance.
you could try checking the neck. it could also be you putting more pressure on those fretted notes than others.

good luck!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Could be the guitar itself! Are the strings really high in the middle of the neck? IF so, the deflection needed to move them from rest to fully fretted may be pullling it out of pitch.
Moving on.....
in my experience with a Squire Strat, the action is mile high, and so i agree with KenG, that string could be traveling quite a distance when fretted, thus causing a sharp tone. one option is a trus rod adjustment, or you could try a deeper filed nut.
www.purevolume.com/chops
GEAR:
Fender Custom Tele-
Invader (B)
ESP/LTD EC-400-
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N)
DigiTech RP-200
Zakk Wylde OD
Boss Bf-2
MXR Phase 90
Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Half Stack
The action is pretty high. I will try to lower the strings. Thanks for the advice!
click the green link in my sig.

a high action isnt going to cause sharp notes, but high frets are.

doesnt mean you cant lower the action a little, just keep in mind you;ll need to adjust the intonation again afterwards.

also, make sure your bridge is level.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Several Luthier website do point to high action, high nut or excessive relief causing poor intonation!
It only make sense as you have to move the string farther to fret the note resulting in a sharper pitch
Moving on.....
haha, i dont know man. if you say so.
it's just that, the string is fret at the same place.
and it's what you do after you fret it. (touching vs mashing at the fret)

a higher string if rung out on a fretless guitar would have a greater distance to travel...

nah, i'm going to stick with fret heights on this one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 24, 2009,
Unfortunately, the guitar is a quite poorly tempered instrument. The placement of the frets is worked out as an average, and doesn't allow all notes to be perfectly in tune. Short of getting yourself a true-temper neck, you will have to deal with this compromise. Earvana also have a special nut which helps to a degree.

When intonating, it is worth doing so at the highest fret on your guitar for the top strings, as well as at the 12th. Since it is rarer to use the upper frets on your lowest strings, it is worth concentrating on getting the lower frets as well intonated as possible. The whole thing is a compromise, so you've got to prioritise the areas that you play in most. When done properly, you can get fantastic results this way.
Quote by jj1565
haha, i dont know man. if you say so.
it's just that, the string is fret at the same place.
and it's what you do after you fret it. (touching vs mashing at the fret)

a higher string if rung out on a fretless guitar would have a greater distance to travel...

nah, i'm going to stick with fret heights on this one.

I don't disagree about higher frets either! Fingering extra hard on them would definitely distort the pitch! Any fret over 0.050" tall would qualify I think as 0.040" is fairly normal.
Moving on.....
The frets could have been measured poorly..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^most likely a few high ones. (because it's some frets more than others)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62