So I have been working on material for recording a demo and I have most of it already worked out. I found this drummer who is helping me do my music and form a band but he's not nailing it. He's getting the basics but I feel like he's struggling and I think he has potential to get the music but it's not there yet.

Also, I want to tell him how I envision my music sounding but at the same time I don't want him to feel like he doesn't have any input.
If it tickles and doesn't burn, it's ok.
let him have input, but let him know what sound you want. work with him and practice. if you can do rough recordings, have him try your way enough to get it right and have him listen to it, see if he likes it. dont let him get frustrated with not bring able to play it at first, and work with him till he does get it. be like, man you can do it, its gonna sound so good. lots of encouragement. a frustrated musician will never play good. where a happy guy banging on a trashcan will make it sound good.
If you want him to have input as to what he plays, you have to accept that it might be different than you envisioned it.

If you envision it a certain way, and want that to be realized the way you envision it, then he can't really have any input, no?

My take on this has always been, "If I knew more about drumming than you, then I'd be doing the drumming. You're the drummer. I want you to come up with something better than I would come up with myself." If he does that, you all win. If he can't, then you hired the wrong guy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
If you want him to have input as to what he plays, you have to accept that it might be different than you envisioned it.

If you envision it a certain way, and want that to be realized the way you envision it, then he can't really have any input, no?

My take on this has always been, "If I knew more about drumming than you, then I'd be doing the drumming. You're the drummer. I want you to come up with something better than I would come up with myself." If he does that, you all win. If he can't, then you hired the wrong guy.

CT

this x10
If it's your vision, and your demo, and he's been paid as a sessionist, he should play it how you like.

Otherwise, who cares? What he comes up with might be as good or better!