So I've decided to do the talent show for the first time ever considering it's my senior year. I'm planning on playing "Drifting" by Andy McKee.

my question is that, naturally, it's going to be PA'd, but the problem lies in my guitar. I have a Yamaha acoustic(not sure of the model or year. if someone could point me in the direction of a serial number decoder or whatever, it'd be appreciated). It's just a straight up dreadnought. Now in order to get all of the percussive properties am I going to HAVE to get it pick-up'd or is the school going to have to mic the hell out of it?

Oh, I wasn't sure if this is the right forum or not. I just kind of guessed since the problem potentially involved pickups.
You can use either method; I'd try experimenting with micing before hand, though, to see if you get a suitable sound quality.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
try mic'ing it to see how it sounds before you go out and buy a pickup, also if possible you can borrow an acoustic that has a pickup from someone

if neither of those is possible what is your budget to buy an acoustic pickup?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
I think it'd be really hard to pickup the percussion of hitting the acoustic guitar though.
So hit real hard LOL.
The talent show isn't for awhile I don't think so test micing isn't exactly an option at the moment. I'm just trying to make preparations. I know Mr. McKee has three different pickups in his guitar so that way his percussive stuff is well...picked up.

But at the moment, I'm super tight on money. Plus I've got Winter Formal and Prom coming up. But I might come into some money pending on if the pizza place I applied for hires me.

But yea, I've got some time until this actually goes down.