4001 vs 4003?

I want to get one, not right now (money wise, they're not the cheapest basses).

Just wondering, since it's hard to find it, I'd rather ask for people's opinions here, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I know a 4001 I'll have to get it second hand, the vintage status is something making it more appealing, but playability wise, is the 4003 better or are they very similar?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I played a 4001 about a week ago at an awesome little shop by my house, most definitely one of the sexiest basses I've ever held in my little hands. Haven't tried a 4003, but other then replacing any worn or corroded parts, I'd say the 4001 would worth every penny of its ridiculous price tag ($4000+ from what I've seen)
I've seen some going eBay for about $2,750 (AUD) (that's the 4001 models).

I'm sure the 4003's will be MUCH cheaper, especially if I was to get it imported, but I'd be willing to pay up to 3 grand on one when I have the money saved up for it.

I've just read about the 4001's that the truss rods in them were pretty weak and the neck was slim and generally weaker, could this quite possibly cause a major malfunction with the bass in years to come?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I've been lucky to play both and I actually prefer the 4003 over the 4001. The neck was easier to play on the newer model and it had a bit more bite than the older model. Both are great basses and I wouldn't refuse either if someone sent one my way.
Quote by Mootallica
I've seen some going eBay for about $2,750 (AUD) (that's the 4001 models).

^^
Thats a pretty damn good price, however you cant really check out the condition, a good condition vintage is worth the extra cost. But how much do the 4003's run?
The 4003's, I've actually never checked prices. I've been to a few stores, but none of them stock them in, and I wasn't bothered to ask the clerk as to whether they can order one in, because I knew I'd probably vomit at the price XD.

Looking on eBay though, the prices are around the 3.5-4.5 grand mark (the way that the markets have been). Since I'm looking to get one in a few years time, if the market has stabilised and gained strength and the dollar is buying better to other countries, I could imagine this price dropping to the 2.5-3.5 g mark. It's probably the reason the 4001's I was looking at were so cheap (It was right on the peak of the Australian Dollar before the markets began to plunge - it's the reason I got my current Cort Curbow so cheap).
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I've played both, and own a 4003.

This has been discussed over and over again. It comes down to a preference thing. But if you can snag a 4003 made AFTER 06, you'll essentially have both. They have a "vintage" push/pull knob which adds/removes a cap from the circuit they used to have in the 4001 that cut lots of the bass. The 4003's also have two truss rods, making them much more solid. Buying any old 4001 has TON of risks. People have mistreated them over the years, and their necks were very fragile. Simply playing them with roundwound strings came as a risk. They are essentially the same bass, just with an upgraded neck and slightly different electronics. The 2006+ ricks have the same electronics.

The 4003's are essentially an upgraded version. Like everything else, the Rick might not be for everyone. It's taken me a couple of months to finally get comfortable with my Rick, as it is a pretty uncomfortable hold. I recommend playing one before buying one.

As far as price is concerned, I got lucky and snagged mine for $800. Buying a new one is going to cost you about $2000 (give or take $200), and you'll probably have to wait for about a year for one. They are pretty hard to come buy, and don't seem to stay very long. Rickenbacker makes only a few of them so that the demand is high so that they can sell them for much more. Yeah, people also argue about the hefty pricetag on the Rick.

Personally, I see them as the ULTIMATE rock bass. I've gotten nothing but compliments from other rock musicians with my Rick. The jazz players haven't been to fond of it when I whip it out but the rock guys DIG it. If you need some help finding a deal / sale / etc in your area, or have ANY other questions feel free to PM me at any time. I'd be happy to help out.

Again, to wrap up, I'd go with a 2006 or later model, and buy it secondhand so that its both cheaper and there's no wait time. The old Ricks are currently almost 40 years old, and if you want them to last another 30 years thats really asking alot.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at Jan 20, 2009,

4001 feels more sticky. and is often damaged. and worse sounding.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I was reading about the vintage push/pull knob on the recent 4003's.

I'll be getting it off eBay from a trusted buyer, purely because if it's listed, then it is in stock and I dont have the wait time of a year to actually get it.

I'm one of those people who gets impatient waiting for something, especially if it's something as epic as a rick.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I've played both, and own a 4003.

This has been discussed over and over again. It comes down to a preference thing. But if you can snag a 4003 made AFTER 06, you'll essentially have both. They have a "vintage" push/pull knob which adds/removes a cap from the circuit they used to have in the 4001 that cut lots of the bass. The 4003's also have two truss rods, making them much more solid. Buying any old 4001 has TON of risks. People have mistreated them over the years, and their necks were very fragile. Simply playing them with roundwound strings came as a risk. They are essentially the same bass, just with an upgraded neck and slightly different electronics. The 2006+ ricks have the same electronics.

but your forgeting, all the colors they offer after 2006 have been ****.
with the exeption of the color of the years that they've stoped doing last year.
i mean seriously, only black, maple and "fireglo"?
those are the worst colors.

i've always wanted a white rick, they dont **** around.
You can easily paint it yourself

But I just want a black rick. IMO, they look the toughest, but I agree, white ricks dont F around too.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Quote by 2112pk
with the exeption of the color of the years that they've stoped doing last year.

black ricks with white pickguards are the tuxedo of bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by 2112pk

Yeah, but if it sounds good who gives a shit ?!

i dont know, anyone who wants a rick be DOSENT want to look like everyone else who has a rick?
your's is monazuma brown right?
see, you have a good colour, it dosnt matter to you.
black with white is a BORING colour, if i had a black rick i'd TOTALY put a purple pickgaurd on it
That's good for you, man. But in terms of the QUALITY of the 4003 vs 4001, color doesn't matter a bit. Perhaps the TS and I don't care about our image quite as much as you.

Sorry it just PEVES me to see people refuse to use a GOOD instrument simply because they'll look the same as everyone else.... blurgh

surely if everyone else is using the same instrument they'll SOUND the same too.
really what use is a good instrument if no-one is going to be able to tell you from adam?

i'm just pissed about rickenbacker removing ALL the opinions on there basses.
and generally sucking as a company resently
Quote by 2112pk
surely if everyone else is using the same instrument they'll SOUND the same too.
really what use is a good instrument if no-one is going to be able to tell you from adam?

i'm just pissed about rickenbacker removing ALL the opinions on there basses.
and generally sucking as a company resently

not everyone has your brain
not everyone has your fingers
and not everyone will dial in the same tone as you

if every bassist in the world used the same bass you'd still tell that jaco was jaco, john entwistle was john entwistle and so on, it's not about what instrument you use it's how you go about using it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
4003, simply because when you adjust the neck, there's no risk of the fretboard popping off.
Nope, no sig here.
hmmm, just checked musiciansfriend, and after going through the whole "email me the price thing" (Rickenbacker doesn't want them posting the actual price), and a new 4003 in jetglo came out at about $1950. I think the Rickenbacker bug has bit. Off to go sell my car, my other instruments, and my soul so I can pick up a 4003.
The old 4001 has so many inherent issues that I don't see why anyone would be seriously interested in one for anything other than a vintage collection. The fretwire is so soft as to not be able to handle roundwounds, and the neck must be clamped in order for the trussrod to be tightened (or else the fingerboard may crack or come off). 4001's did have twin trussrods, but the neck was thinner and much more susceptible to failure due to user error.

4003's are by far the superior instruments.

In terms of color, my three favorites are white, blueburst, and azureglo. I'm fairly certain the 4003 appeared in each of these colors (with the exception of azureglo perhaps), and if you really want the 4001 tone circuit, just get it installed in the 4003 of your color-choice. It's a freaking capacitor and push-pull pot, it cannot be difficult to install!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by Tostitos
hmmm, just checked musiciansfriend, and after going through the whole "email me the price thing" (Rickenbacker doesn't want them posting the actual price), and a new 4003 in jetglo came out at about $1950. I think the Rickenbacker bug has bit. Off to go sell my car, my other instruments, and my soul so I can pick up a 4003.

Go on craigslist. I've seen them go for half that used. Because Rick keep production low and rarely (if ever) supply them to physical stores, many people buy them based mostly on hype/reputation, and the tone is not for everyone, and as a result many wind up on Craigslist. They're good basses, but not at all worth the price
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I just bought a brand spankin new Rickenbacker 4003 from Musiciansfriend.com about one month ago. I spent $2149 total, and thats for the bass, an EXELENT hardshell case, and an extended warranty that protects everything from a scratch on it, to a malfunction, for 3 years. I had never even seen a Ric, heard one in person, or touched one before, but I knew from hearing the songs they were played on, and from all the buzz around them, I wanted one. And boy, I dont regret it one bit. This has got to be the best bass I have ever played. I know thats saying alot, but its ture. I own a Musicman Stingray, a Fender P-bass, a 5 string active Fender jazz, and this, and ill pick up the Ric first every time.
One good reason is, with the push/pull knob, you can get the 4001 or the 4003 models sound. Plus this thing has just about any tone you could want. You really truly can dial into any sounds, from rumbling lows to crazy highs. Played with a distortion pedal makes this thing just scream. The neck is so thin compared to anything Ive ever played, making it just a breeze to run up and down the fingerboard. It almost seems like it plays itself! Now, the pickup cover may seem like its in a horrible spot, but I quickly adjusted. I find it very comfortable to rest my thumb on the cover and play fingerstyle no problem. Picking, for me, is also very comfortable. Plus the cover ensures you get the best tone, cause it forces you to play next to the bridge. So, all in all, this bass is famous for a reason. Im happy everyday I get to come home and see this beautiful, sexy instrument sitting in my room.
Oh yeah, and I didnt have to wait more than 7 days (for shipping) after I had the money to get this bass. If there in stock, you get it right away. The waiting period only applies to orders placed with Rickenbacker.com
Quote by kugelspot
Go on craigslist. many people buy them based mostly on hype/reputation, and the tone is not for everyone, and as a result many wind up on Craigslist. They're good basses, but not at all worth the price

I know that they're probably not worth the price, but its hard to GAS for anything else after playing the 4001 at the local shop. And if the 4003 is really that much better, well, I can only dream of the beautiful sounds it could make. Sadly, they cost much more then I am worth