Page 1 of 2
I'm almost more than considering to buy the Fender Stratocaster HSS. Its about $500 and will only take me about a month to get. I love the feel of the strats (tried them at guitar center), and then string are f!cking awesome to bend. The stock pickups in the neck and middle sounded pretty good too ( I used them for clean or almost clean with just a little dirt through a fender amp).
Anyways, would it be sacrilege to buy that guitar and then replace the bridge pickup with a Duncan Distortion or something, 'AND THEN' use the guitar as a metal/thrash guitar? I do alot of rhythm and lead playing, so I figure when I'm playing with distortion, I could stick to the bridge pickup. Then when I clean it up, alternate between the neck and middle pickups, since the cleans are punchy and perfect for me.
Is this a bad idea? Oh, and I like to use the whammy bar as if it were on a floyd rose bridge. I don't mind the tuning issues, but will it still be sound like any other divebomb / natural harmonic manipulation?
It can make a good metal guitar with the right pickups.

And you can solve the whammy bar tuning problems with some locking tuners and maybe a graphite nut.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
why not? it would be cool
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
no? do whatever the hell you want with your guitar, jim root uses a telecaster, and i use my old walnut fender to play thrash stuff. Yngwie plays metal...although its more neoclassical so...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The bridge will not do what you need. But go for it. You could do a lot to make it stay in tune. Locking nut, graphite nut, lokcing tuners, etc. But you won't be able to dive bomb.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I'm kinda doing what you're doing, except I'm gonna get the body routed again for so I can go HH. I believe older Strat bodies are routed HSH while the newer MIMs are routed HSS right? Sorry for thread hijacking lol
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Get an active pup for the humbucker. It would be sweet, but I don't know how well it might turn out on a strat. I have it in my Les Paul, but who knows if you can do it with Fenders.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I'll sell you a mint condition HSS Strat for $350+ shipping.
Quote by selibucaz
and i tried to take apart a vibrator, and use that for one (now my moms mad at me) so i know a vibrator wount work

MY GEAR:
Fender Wine Red MIM Fat Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Frontman 15G
O_O

you took my username

my....username

yes it is a sin..i haven't read your post but you sir have sinned big time.

O_O

yea you could use the strat as a metal guitar as long as it has that humbucker in it you'll be okay. you could also buy some locking tuners for the guitar if you really want to use the trem without tuning crapping out on you.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jan 19, 2009,
I did not steal ur username. it has two Ts. See? anyways, I'm not gonna get an active pickup if i do this cuz the two single coils are just passive ones, but if the duncan distortion isnt a good choice, what would do better for metal? And why won't I be able to divebomb? Thought as long as u had the whammy u could do it? And Forbession, can I see a pic of the strat?
Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Watterboy
I did not steal ur username. it has two Ts. See? anyways, I'm not gonna get an active pickup if i do this cuz the two single coils are just passive ones, but if the duncan distortion isnt a good choice, what would do better for metal? And why won't I be able to divebomb? Thought as long as u had the whammy u could do it? And Forbession, can I see a pick of the strat?

The set up of a strat bridge is made for light vibrato mainly. You can kind of dive with it, but it isn't really flexible enough to do a true dive bomb. It just wasnt' made for it. If you loosen the hell out of the springs and get a locking nut MAYBE you could.

And why not get a hot rail or something? I think HSS strats are kinda tacky.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You'll be able to divebomb fine. You may want to see what upgrades you can get on it though. But I would never buy a Floyd Rose which is probably what that guy was comparing it too.

Anyways if you can get it done professionally try the active/passive combo. It's extremely original and sounds sick.

I'd personally go for an EMG 81 for metal. Or if you're feeling crazy try the SD Blackouts.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
How much does a locking nut cost? And I probably will loosen the **** out of the springs after playing around with the thing. Which kind of hot rail..?

EDIT: An EMG 81 would be cool as hell, and guitar center near me installs the pickups for you, I imagine they could install a working EMG system with the two single coils?
Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 19, 2009,
Don't get the EMG's; they don't sound any better unless you have a tube amp you can crank each volume knob on. I second the Hot Rails suggestion though.

Also, the claim about not being able to divebomb on a strat is complete bullcrap. My strat does it fine.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Whoa whoa. Why would I get hot rail single coil pickups that somebody linked to me? Im using the regular stock pickups for cleans, unless I absolutely need to upgrade to better sound low output pickups for clean. As for the bridge... an EMG or a Blackout IN THE BRIDGE POSITION may not be bad considering I do play on a Bugera 333-212 all tube amp and I crank it alot. I use the bridge for pretty much all of my gain channels cuz i like squeals. Im just working on smoothing out the tone for soloing leads in the bridge, especially since i wont be able to change positions or it will sound like ****. Savvy?

EDIT: I'd also only go with the active if guitar center could properly setup a passive and active mix..
Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 20, 2009,
You can't get a locking nut. Well you can but you'll just have more tuning troubles since your bridge doesn't have fine tuners. It'll be impossible to get it in tune. Locking tuners will do the job. Don't listen to everyone. You won't be able to do dive bombs on a vintage trem, well not like you imagine. You can do a half-assed one. It's not a Floyd, it doesn't have a large range of motion.
It's worth noting that the Iron Maiden guys have Strats that are HH and also have Floyd Roses on them.

BTW, I have a Duncan TB-11 humbucker in my Strat, well I'm installing it as soon as I get my pickguard. I don't play metal though, the heaviest I go is like 80s hair metal i.e. Motley Crue, Whitesnake etc.

Anyway dunno about the tremolo because I don't use mine at all, I have my bridge fixed down. I simply don't want to deal with tuning issues.

My recommendation is to save up a bit more, and get a used american strat. If I had to do my guitar purchase again, I'd save some more money and get a nice used american strat for like $800 or so (maybe cheaper in your area). That's my advice.

And I also wouldn't put an active pickup in a Strat. Not only that, you'd have to deal with volume issues. Seeing as you play metal though, why not consider that mexican Strat that has the two humbuckers and Floyd Rose on it? The one that has black finish. I dunno just a thought. The reason I got my Strat was cause I got it for only $300 used and at the time felt like a good guitar. I got a professional setup on it and it's alright so far, I can't really complain about it.

Also a thing to keep in mind is installation costs from Guitar Center. For me I'm installing it myself, so it was about $80 US for the pickup, $25 for a pickguard off ebay and that's it. I don't know how much Guitar Center charges for installation, but you should probably look it up before getting it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 20, 2009,
The American Strats are like upwards from $1,000 lol. And whats the difference? Slightly different styled aesthetics and different pickups? Even though I'm gonna be swapping out atleast one of my pickups. I want the HSS setup also. Not SSS or HH ect ect. The single coil clean f`ckin slays me. I just need a heavy pickup in the bridge.
You could always get an SSS strat and buy a single-coil sized humbucker for the bridge.

Would look way better IMO, but just a thought
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm just giving you my advice. I've played through two American Strats and to me they felt better plus you get better hardware on them. Again, this is just my own opinion, feel free to disagree. And I sad used. I saw an American Strat from 2002 for $600cad on craigslist in my area. That's like $550 US for you american folks. There's great deals to be had out there.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by MustangSVT
I'm just giving you my advice. I've played through two American Strats and to me they felt better plus you get better hardware on them. Again, this is just my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

Believe me, ur opinion is more than welcomed and appreciated. I could use all the knowledge I could get.
Its a nice setup my bud has it in his strat and it sounds amazing he can do almost anything with it. Im seriously considering buying a strat and getting this setup. I like to play heavy but I like to play blues also its a great fit.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 20, 2009,
Anyway, to answer your question, it's not a sin because look at guitarist from Iron Maiden, Dave Murray or whatever his name is, guy plays a Strat with two buckers in it and Floyd Rose, or look at Yngwie Malmsteen, he uses stacked humbuckers in it. I would however be against using actives in a Strat, but that's just me.

A sin is how I'm considering getting a brand new $1400 Gibson Explorer after only 8 months of playing guitar.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by Watterboy
How much does a locking nut cost? And I probably will loosen the **** out of the springs after playing around with the thing. Which kind of hot rail..?

EDIT: An EMG 81 would be cool as hell, and guitar center near me installs the pickups for you, I imagine they could install a working EMG system with the two single coils?

A little bridge trick...

...take out the middle spring, and then bury the spring screws into the body (or until you get the tension you want.)

Another stock Fender/bridge trick....when dive bombing you have to RAISE the strings back in place...sometimes with a slight upward jerk to get the strings seated back over nut and back in tune.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
The bridge will not do what you need. But go for it. You could do a lot to make it stay in tune. Locking nut, graphite nut, lokcing tuners, etc. But you won't be able to dive bomb.

Locking nut isn't a good idea, you need fine tuners on the bridge otherwise it will be impossible to get in tune.
But a graphite nut is a good idea, maybe even locking tuners although they're not necessary.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't listen to everyone. You won't be able to do dive bombs on a vintage trem, well not like you imagine. You can do a half-assed one. It's not a Floyd, it doesn't have a large range of motion.

^That... A divebomb is supposed to dive down far enough to get the strings all floppy, and the Strat trem only has something like a tenth of that range. I think the Wilkinson knife edge models have more range, so you could try swapping for one of those, although it's not a straight swap (because of the posts) and some of them have that annoying arm socket wobble problem.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jan 20, 2009,
Dave Murray a sinner? Nope, do it!
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Max Cavalera too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MustangSVT
I'm just giving you my advice. I've played through two American Strats and to me they felt better plus you get better hardware on them. Again, this is just my own opinion, feel free to disagree. And I sad used. I saw an American Strat from 2002 for $600cad on craigslist in my area. That's like $550 US for you american folks. There's great deals to be had out there.

To second this, I see USA Standard Strats with hardshell cases on my craigslist for around $500 every few days. It's a good idea.
Looks like the above couple posters beat me to it.

For $500 you can get a used HSS MiA Strat, which comes with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge. That's what I'm playing right now and it's beautiful. Just make sure you try it out extensively first. Test all the pickups, test volume control, tone etc etc. If you meet on craigslist, tell the guy to meet you at your nearest guitar center, and when you go in, tell the guitar center guys that you want to test out some amps with your own guitar.
Quote by BeerChurch
A little bridge trick...

...take out the middle spring, and then bury the spring screws into the body (or until you get the tension you want.)

Another stock Fender/bridge trick....when dive bombing you have to RAISE the strings back in place...sometimes with a slight upward jerk to get the strings seated back over nut and back in tune.

The tuning isn't the problem really. Mine stays in tune fine, I can pull it back up and everything. It's the range of motion of a true dive bomb. I use my PRS for that. A vintage style strat trem bridge can't do a true dive.

The idea with the springs is cool though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
that'd be fine. a lot of people use fat strats (or glorified fat strats, e.g. stuff like ibanez/jackson/charvel etc.) for metal.

best bet is to try the trem, though, and then try some guitars with (good) floyd roses. just in case it won't do what you want. if you're going to use the trem heavily, locking tuners (assuming you don't go with a floyd) wouldn't hurt either (and keep the nut well lubricated etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
None of the other guitars like Ibanez or Jackson have that Fender feel though. I'm not sure what is worth compensating for. I'd like to learn to use the whammy bar alot with it, but it sounds like it wont be very effective. I'm not quite sure which path to take here. And I'm still undecided about the Bridge pickup. It would be cool to have an active installed for all my metal. Hm idno.
Honestly, I would recommend spending some time with Jacksons/Ibanezes. I felt the same way about Fenders as you do, I bought the American Deluxe strat. Loved it. But there was just something missing. The neck isn't as fast as other guitars and the frets aren't the best for technical stuff. I tried I some Ibanezes, even though I used to hate them, and noticed my playing was better on them. It didn't feel as good as the fender, but I could do things much easier on the Ibanez. I bought a Prestige and got used to it, now I love it. Fenders may feel like they fit like a glove at first, but some things just take time getting used to. I love both of them for different reasons. The I find that the Ibanez neck is better for metal because of the frets. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, and tapping sound so much better. Try other things out, they may not feel right immediately, but just give it some time. You can get a Jackson with HSS configuration. Ibanezes usually come with a 5-way switch also. I think HSH with a 5-way is the way to go. When you use the neck and middle positions on a HSS guitar, it'll always be quieter than the bridge humbucker. But if you do the 5-way with HSH, you have a usable neck pickup. Plus, you get a middle single coil, and bridge/middle and neck/middle. So you'll have strat-like tones. It won't really sound like a strat since it's not alder. But I really recommend you try some stuff out for a while. I actually didn't like how the Ibanez felt when I bought it. But magically, my playing was better, so I just bought it. And it was one of the best decisions ever. I have more of a connection with the Strat. I play with more feeling because the neck fits like a glove. But everything I do is planned out. When I play the Ibanez, I don't have that same connection. It's different. My hands feel more like they're on auto-pilot. Things just come out smoother and with less thought involved. I can't play as fast on my strat, and sweeping is sloppy. Spend some time with them, maybe you'll start to like it
Quote by Watterboy
None of the other guitars like Ibanez or Jackson have that Fender feel though. I'm not sure what is worth compensating for. I'd like to learn to use the whammy bar alot with it, but it sounds like it wont be very effective. I'm not quite sure which path to take here. And I'm still undecided about the Bridge pickup. It would be cool to have an active installed for all my metal. Hm idno.

i just meant that they sounded fine for metal. those new charvels' necks feel pretty similar (not exactly the same, but same ballpark) to the USA standard strat necks, for example.

if you prefer the feel of a fender neck, then get a fender and whack a quality humbucker in there...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it is absolutely a sin. don't tartar up a nice strat by turning it into some heavy metal piece of garbage. buy an ibanez if you're going to do that. Get a strat for the classic strat tones, not to turn it into some shred machine.

with that said, the guitar will go out of tune really easily if you're going to use the whammy bar. the stock tremolo is not ideal. i took the whammy bar off mine, because it seemed like looking at the damn thing made it go out of tune.

seriously though, get a schecter or ibanez with a floyd rose and some emgs for your metal playing. either of those brands are overall just more conducive to metal.
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (SD JB + 59)
Epiphone Dot (Dirty Fingers + 57 Classic)
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
Page 1 of 2