Page 1 of 3
Yes, A Philosophy discussion thread. Now, to those who say "Pfft, WHAT? As if, it's common sense that the world isn't virtual! It's obvious!" I say: Common sense has failed us many, many times. Like when humans thought the world is flat. So do not push common sense into this thread. How do you know you're not a brain in a vat connected to a super computer that allows you to feel as if this is all real? And this computer allows you to go through all the emotions and "feel", "hear" and "see" things? Discussion please. I have been extremely curious to find out what others think. By the way, I got this idea from "The Philosophy Files" book I studied at school. So yeah, discuss?
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
It feels so much more real when I dream. How do I know my senses aren't lying to me?
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
I don't, but in the immortal words of George Orwell, "Reality is only what is perceived within the skull"

therefore, it doesn't matter whether it is or not, and you shouldn't worry about it

live, don't worry about whether you're living or not, just leave

why wake from the matrix? the matrix is perfectly fine
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by atthedrive-thru
here's a better question, what happens when you die?

One topic at a time :P
Quote by Erik_Aero
I honestly don't care. It wouldn't change my life if it were.

+1 for sensible people.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Who really cares? It's not like we can really change it if it were true...
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Dude who cares if it is or not? Live your life so the next person can come and live theres.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
"If the soul is left in darkness, sins will be committed. The guitly one is not he who committs the sin, but he who causes the darkness."
-Victor Hugo
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Well, we are all living in a hologram...
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Reality exists so that you will wonder if what you perceive is truly reality.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
because we use the internet and computers
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by pwninator123
I don't, but in the immortal words of George Orwell, "Reality is only what is perceived within the skull"

therefore, it doesn't matter whether it is or not, and you shouldn't worry about it

live, don't worry about whether you're living or not, just leave

why wake from the matrix? the matrix is perfectly fine

dude george orwell is a f***ing badass
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
the world may be virtual, it may also be that you're in a coma, and everything including the responses you are getting in this thread could just be a complex alternate reality created by your brain, hell i might not even exist, i might just be another creation of your brain, or i could be in a coma thinking that you made this thread when it's just my brain creating this complex world that isn't even real

wuuuuuut?
I frequently wonder if all existence is a product of my own imagination, including, well, my own imagination. I wonder if I'm some lone sentient being, and every other person, any event, any tangeable object, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is my own imagination. It makes me wonder if somehow, everything is under my control, yet at the same time, beyond my grasps. It's difficult to describe, but hopefully people will understand this. But hey, since you're all my imagination, you better understand it.

Once you do acid, you'll develop your own strange theories too.
you're not being deep. and this probably belongs in the religion thread
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by atthedrive-thru
the world may be virtual, it may also be that you're in a coma, and everything including the responses you are getting in this thread could just be a complex alternate reality created by your brain, hell i might not even exist, i might just be another creation of your brain, or i could be in a coma thinking that you made this thread when it's just my brain creating this complex world that isn't even real

wuuuuuut?

EXACTLY! That's what I'm saying! How do we know the world we live in, isn't just a creation in our brains!
Quote by GregMisiakk
I frequently wonder if all existence is a product of my own imagination, including, well, my own imagination. I wonder if I'm some lone sentient being, and every other person, any event, any tangeable object, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is my own imagination. It makes me wonder if somehow, everything is under my control, yet at the same time, beyond my grasps. It's difficult to describe, but hopefully people will understand this. But hey, since you're all my imagination, you better understand it.

Once you do acid, you'll develop your own strange theories too.

agreed

edit:
Quote by reaper_x
EXACTLY! That's what I'm saying! How do we know the world we live in, isn't just a creation in our brains!

i love talking about this sh*t, of course it's usually me and a bunch of friends getting high in a basement talking about it, but it's a trip, especially when you get real into it

edit again: sigged
Last edited by atthedrive-thru at Jan 19, 2009,
then i guess part of your job in the virtual world is to bring it up, whether or not we know, doesn't matter, cause there is no direct escape way to escape it, besides maybe "death" if your right when you die maybe the program ends, or maybe you were wrong and thats that, if you want to speculate that its a possibility to what "life" is thats fine, and for your sake, i'll just go on living in the virtual world, whatever happens happens, whether its influenced by me or not
Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

-Morpheus
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Ok this kind of relates to the virtual thing....not really but a philosophy thing I've wondered numerous times: how do we know everyone sees the same things? My green could be your red! But we'd never know. Hell, I might see colors you didn't know exist.
Another thing.....what if there are more than the 16,777,216 colors?
Quote by zakky_s
Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

-Morpheus

OH MY GOD. *TRIPS OUT*
Essentially, we can never know for sure. Just like debating what happens when you die, you'll never know till you do. Though unlike everyone else i agree with you that this are still interesting things to consider and can help us gain greater understanding of both the world we inhabit and our perceptions of it. The greatest argument, imo, is that in the event we were living in a matrix-like state it seems intuitive that it would be most efficient that we be happy, and most people aren't (yay reality!). But you seem to be describing a slightly different sort of set-up. And i can't find any logical reason why it would be beneficial for anyone or thing to hold us in a state of artificial consciousness.

Also, you can consider what reality means. We do experience things differently and it is possible that people experiences are so shaped by previous experiences and knowledge that we create our world around us in our own unique way. Therefore, one person's reality is not necessarily congruent with another persons.

Though, in the end. As they have said above, it doesn't really matter. Fun to think about though
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
I must be insane because i cant trust anyone
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by zakky_s

-Morpheus

interesting point. our lives could be giant dreams but then that proves that our dreams are interrelated to each other since we are interacting with each other. But maybe its not dreams. Maybe something else, and the concept of a dream is a fictional idea in this fictional world.
Quote by yankovicfan3125
Ok this kind of relates to the virtual thing....not really but a philosophy thing I've wondered numerous times: how do we know everyone sees the same things? My green could be your red! But we'd never know. Hell, I might see colors you didn't know exist.
Another thing.....what if there are more than the 16,777,216 colors?

There is. From what i learned in computer class, there is over 16 million, which is what you said. your eyes just cant tell the difference between most of them
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
i know im real, i know im real, i know im real

*paranioa*
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by Butt Rayge
Of course you did.

No. Just, no.
Quote by PluckU
There is. From what i learned in computer class, there is over 16 million, which is what you said. your eyes just cant tell the difference between most of them

yes, 256x256x256 (RedxGreenxBlue) = 16,777,216 that is supposively how many colors there are, but thats just in our life. Like if you take a picture of something, it matches each pixel to the correct color from the 16 million. but what if there is a color not on the RGB thing.
Quote by yankovicfan3125
yes, 256x256x256 (RedxGreenxBlue) = 16,777,216 that is supposively how many colors there are, but thats just in our life. Like if you take a picture of something, it matches each pixel to the correct color from the 16 million. but what if there is a color not on the RGB thing.

how do we know that color scale is right, some dude could have just made that sh*t up thinking of names for "colors" as he went along, how do we know a color is really a color? we might have just been made to believe it so long that we believe it's right, red might actually be blue, hell red might actually be f*ckin gragosh or some sh*t, it's just we've been made to believe it's red so long we don't even question it
Quote by Sublimical
Wait.... who puts our brains in the vats? This makes no sense?

Aliens. Or Predators. Which ever one scares you more.
Page 1 of 3