In my band, our bassist isn't good. And to be blunt, he isn't even mediocre. He can hardly keep time, and he can hardly hold a steady thump. We've found a better bassist who's a very close friend to replace him, and we've all agreed to axe our current bassist.

I have no problem talking to him and explaining it all to him, but I don't know what to say to him. I was thinking along the lines of, "Man, it's been real, but you're holding us back musically, and that just won't do."

I thought I'd run it by you guys to get some suggestions.
"You need a few more years to get to the level we want to go to. We have all been in your position before, and we feel bad, but it's the truth"
You could be a bunch of polesmokers and just stop talking to him. But don't. Cookies for actually talking to him about it and being nice about it.

If he's got any sense in his head he's hopefully noticed that he isn't very good by now.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

tell him the usual thing...

"its not you...its me"..... ohhh wait
You sound like you have the right idea, pretty much. Just be nice, be cool, be honest.
Who dat?
Quote by Lancelundy
"You need a few more years to get to the level we want to go to. We have all been in your position before, and we feel bad, but it's the truth"

i wouldnt be offended if that was said to me. good choice.
heres an idea.... txt it
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
instead of insulting him personally, like "you aren't good enough for the band, you're out", just put it nice but blunt, "we've found a better bassist to play with, sorry" lol
Just do this -

"It's not working out. Sorry, but we've gotta part ways with you."

No lie, no foul - just honesty. It isn't working out. This way, you don't have to tell him he sucks if you think he does.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by atthedrive-thru
instead of insulting him personally, like "you aren't good enough for the band, you're out", just put it nice but blunt, "we've found a better bassist to play with, sorry" lol

Combine this with Lancelundy's proposition and I think you've got a winner.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Yea, just be respectful, and be as little of a douche about it as you can
hopefully he wont be too full of himself and not realize
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by strat0blaster
Just do this -

"It's not working out. Sorry, but we've gotta part ways with you."

No lie, no foul - just honesty. It isn't working out. This way, you don't have to tell him he sucks if you think he does.

This.

No point in making him feel bad. If you insult his playing, he might lose interest, and that's bad. Always.
Quote by Austyn6661
This.

No point in making him feel bad. If you insult his playing, he might lose interest, and that's bad. Always.

I have to disagree with that. I got booted from my last band for poor singing at the time and them kicking me out gave me the push I needed to get better. Keep in mind I'm the kind if someone starts talking smack I quit forever.

Lesson is, if he truly likes playing bass, it will only push him to get better.
"Man, it's been real..."

...did you mean that?

Is that slang where you come from?

Oh, wait! I get it!
Like, keep it real, right?

Oh, just say that.
Quote by Josh Shiells
...did you mean that?

Is that slang where you come from?

Oh, wait! I get it!
Like, keep it real, right?

Oh, just say that.

Yes it's slang, and don't mock how I talk. I could careless what you think, but you're not helping my situation at all, so don't waste space in this thread with your useless remarks. How I talk is different from how you talk.

On a higher note, I'm aiming for the, "It's not working out" line, and if he wants more, then I'll say the, "You're not where we're at musically, we're sorry, you'll get there."
Quote by atthedrive-thru

Ouch. I'd recommend against this. Being told that you're not good enough is painful. Being told that, not only are you not good enough, but that your buddies are going to replace you with someone way better is outright excruciating.

I think a combination of your own original idea and Lancelundy's is probably the best way to go.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
Quote by atthedrive-thru

but then if he introduces a better drummer or guitarist that needs a band and you regect, how fair will that look? It would make you two end on bad terms.

Just tell him what's going on. He can't keep up, he's not good enough. He just doesn't cut it.

"Yea dude the band and I were thinking you just aren't good enough to keep up with us. You're a nice bassist and all but you just don't have what we're looking for. (Skill, tempo, speed -- if he ask). It's not you it's just me and... I... I just can't do it anymore.... I just can't do it!!"

Then proceed towards the door, running while crying into your palms. He'll understand where you're coming from.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Quote by ChevyChe 23
I have to disagree with that. I got booted from my last band for poor singing at the time and them kicking me out gave me the push I needed to get better. Keep in mind I'm the kind if someone starts talking smack I quit forever.

Lesson is, if he truly likes playing bass, it will only push him to get better.

Well I have to disagree with that. The guy you quoted said he might lose interest. Not everyone is confident at what they do but still do truly like it. It's a personality thing, if I got kicked out of a band and had my playing insulted I probably wouldn't quit but I'd take a long break from it.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
In my band, our bassist isn't good. And to be blunt, he isn't even mediocre. He can hardly keep time, and he can hardly hold a steady thump. We've found a better bassist who's a very close friend to replace him, and we've all agreed to axe our current bassist.

I have no problem talking to him and explaining it all to him, but I don't know what to say to him. I was thinking along the lines of, "Man, it's been real, but you're holding us back musically, and that just won't do."

I thought I'd run it by you guys to get some suggestions.

OK, so he's going one way or the other and you can either tell him what the problem is or you can lie to him, either way, you have to tell him something because you can't just fire someone without giving them a reason why.
There's basicaly only a choice of two reasons to sack someone from a band, personality or lack of ability (or a mixture of both)
Now, if you're not going to tell him it's because of his lack ability, then you're gonna have to tell him it's because of his personality, which is obviously unfare and will probably cause more problems than it cures.
So yes, by all means tell him that it's because of his lack of ability, he may not like it but honesty is always the best policy and will gain you more respect in the long run.
But when you sack him, make sure you let him know that it's nothing personal and that it isn't even his fault, it's your fault for hiring him in the first place when he obviously isn't the right person for the job.

Do not tell him that you have already found a replacement because that'll just be a smack in the mouth to him and make him feel like you've been plotting behind his back. (which essentialy, you have been)
Just tell him straight, be apologetic, be polite and encourage him to continue building upon his ability and offer to help him out with any future projects he might get together such as offering them supporting gigs and suchlike stuff.
It's gonna be difficult, there may even be ugly scenes depending upon how he takes it, but it's gotta be done, so you may as well tell him the truth but do it in a tactful way.
Tell him exactly what he needs to work on and offer some tips on how to get better. Be mature about it and talk to him with the respect he deserves. It's both sides fault it didn't work out, not just his.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Just quit. Then a month later reassemble the band just without him.. Works everytime.
AL
Quote by cjlane
Well I have to disagree with that. The guy you quoted said he might lose interest. Not everyone is confident at what they do but still do truly like it. It's a personality thing, if I got kicked out of a band and had my playing insulted I probably wouldn't quit but I'd take a long break from it.

I wouldn't feel all to great either.

Just be nice and say that he isn't at your level yet.
Remember the YET.
just tell him to take a break from the band and practice a bit more at home and if he gets beter he can come back. Just tell him he needs to practice a tad more. If he really wants to be in the band he will practice hardcore and will be rad. if he doesnt really care he wont come back and then there is no problem cuz he would never have been good anyways
My first advice to you would be to read the other 457 forum posts that have the exact same title! The same title! Search!

/rant