I would like to just say real quick that I apologize for asking this because i know this question has been asked millions of times over millions of forums, but I just need some outside views.

My Playing Background -
I've been playing for going on 6yrs. I play all sorts of music on my own. but my main love is Death Metal/Hardcore/Melodic styles. I've played in a few bands, and have been told that I'm really good. I'm not quite a shredmaster but i definitely have skill and know how to write. I practice at least 5 to 6 days a week on my own for at least 2hours a day usually more. Plus i practice with my band 3 days a week. So i kno i have good practice routines.

THE QUESTION - since i got the accuracy down really good and pick control down fairly well (i kno still need improvement on it, as we all know you can always be better at something), and my left hand is up to par.but I cant seem to get any faster with the pick hand. I've been practicing lots of scales and arpeggio exercises, speed drills (at least i think they are, i only know like one that i learned from a John Petrucci Video) but in the last month i've really haven't seemed to notice much progress in my speed. Once i try getting up to shred speed my control goes out the window (not completely but it gets sloppy). Can someone please give me some good exercises and/or other ideas for gettin my speed and control up.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELPFUL REPLIES. AND THANKS FOR READING MY LONG WINDED POST
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
then stacatto more...abunch of famous people do it=)
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Are you doing diffrent picking styles? like trem picking and econ picking and sweep picking?

Are you trem picking with your elbow? cause if u are stop and do it wit ur wrist.

Are you mounting your pinky or hand to the guitar with you play? you you are you have to stop, the only way to have good contoll fast to to not mount your guitar.

Are u doing hammer ons and pull offs? its the only way to start shredding.
Quote by BackSeatSuicide
I would like to just say real quick that I apologize for asking this because i know this question has been asked millions of times over millions of forums, but I just need some outside views.

My Playing Background -
I've been playing for going on 6yrs. I play all sorts of music on my own. but my main love is Death Metal/Hardcore/Melodic styles. I've played in a few bands, and have been told that I'm really good. I'm not quite a shredmaster but i definitely have skill and know how to write. I practice at least 5 to 6 days a week on my own for at least 2hours a day usually more. Plus i practice with my band 3 days a week. So i kno i have good practice routines. Time spent practicing isn't nearly as important as how you spend the time. 1 hour of focused practice, paying attention to every movement you make, is better than 5 hours of mindless repetition of exercises.

THE QUESTION - since i got the accuracy down really good and pick control down fairly well If your having a problem with "achieving" speed, it's because your accuracy and economy of motion isn't there. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
(i kno still need improvement on it, as we all know you can always be better at something), and my left hand is up to par.but I cant seem to get any faster with the pick hand. I've been practicing lots of scales and arpeggio exercises, speed drills (at least i think they are, i only know like one that i learned from a John Petrucci Video) but in the last month i've really haven't seemed to notice much progress in my speed. Once i try getting up to shred speed my control goes out the window (not completely but it gets sloppy). That's because there is an inherent flaw(s) in your technique that is always there but only causes problems at speed. Slow way the hell down and find it/them. Can someone please give me some good exercises and/or other ideas for gettin my speed and control up.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELPFUL REPLIES. AND THANKS FOR READING MY LONG WINDED POST

See the red. I also suggest reading the "****ing Sticky". If you've already read it, read it again.

PinkEdit:
Quote by Ganshar
Are u doing hammer ons and pull offs? its the only way to start shredding.

Bull****. Picking every note is just as legitimate a technique as legato, maybe even more so in the stereotypical "shred" style.
Last edited by which ones pink at Jan 20, 2009,
It's about focused practice.

That, and a month isn't really a roadblock. It takes a long time to build up the co-ordinations that will allow you pick fast and effortlessly, let alone at "shred speeds".
try mixing legato in with your alt picking. combining them allows you to be faster and more accurate then either one on their own.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬