I currently have two electric guitars; Ibanez GAX-30 (which is adaquate for my general use) and a Hagstrom HL-550 (which is really awesome for jazz and not particularly awesome at everything else).
But I have only a really, really ****ty Ibanez practice amp, I think it's an IBZ10G. I want something relatively cheap and some amps I've considered are the Fender Blues Jnr and Fender Hotrod Deluxe. Anyone have reccomendations for something cheap that has a really nice clean tone, decent distortion and no fancy effects and gimmicks?

Thanks in advance.
If you go used, you can get something better for your budget than you could new. Look at Peavey is my advice.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
fender blues junior is incredible. for something even cheaper that still fits your specs, you can get a fender vibro champ XD.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Nice cleans? I'd go Fender every time. I almost got a Blues Jr. but it was more wattage than I needed for bedroom playing.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
What is your exact budget?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
When you say "decent distortion", what do you mean? Like, do you just want classic rock distortion, Sabbath-type metal, thrash or uber br00tal metal distortion?

Since I don't know your exact budget but you're after a HRD, my suggestions would be:

Classic Rock= HRD with an overdrive pedal.
Early heavy metal= Peavey Classic 30, or maybe a Blues Jr with an OD like the Fulltone OCD.
Thrash= Classic 30 with a decent OD.
Uber brootal= You'll have to sacrifice the cleans a bit, although a Randall RG50TC with a tube swap can get pretty clean.

Of course, this isn't considering the bountiful used market.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Thanks for the help.

I guess a Fender would be the way to go. My budget is from $500-1500 AUD, so I have no idea how much that would be in US, plus guitars and amps are way more expensive here too.

By decent distortion, I mean I want to be able to have a really, really nice clean tone, a pretty good classic rock sound and decent, although not necessarily great high-distortion metal. I will be playing clean/low distortion 90% of the time though.

I'll look into the amps you've all reccomended already.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9
I second the Classic 30 suggestion
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Australian?

You need http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/. There you're gonna find some great amps for a decent price.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Australian?

You need http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/. There you're gonna find some great amps for a decent price.

Wow, thanks. I was looking for a site like that. Buying amps second-hand is reasonably reliable, right?
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9
i swear i showed people that site.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
:d!

<3
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
That music swop shop is rediculously overpriced, i have found brand new gear that is cheaper than some of the second hand stuff they sell.

I'd go for a new Randall RG50TC ($850) or maybe a Rolland cube 60 ($500).
RG's & Mesa's
Aren't those Randalls like 1k+ over here?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Update: I found a Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue second hand for $1600. Is this pretty good value (Australian dollars, remember), and how much would I have to spend on a pedal for distortion etc?
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9
idk if you would like that amp, you might want to get a more versitile amp cause your still learning and you might start playing in a completely differnt direction and the fender amp would drag you down a bit or it wont fill your needs later on, you need a amp that does 90% or at least 60% of everything.
No, u can get them for $850 from Drumpower in Melbourne. They are a propper store but also sell on ebay, also u can bargain them down hard, I got my Randall RX120R for $560, Other stores are selling them for 800 bucks +. Theyr pretty friendly as well, here is a link to one of the RG50's they have on ebay, I have no affiliation with them at all, but i do shop there cos its cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RANDALL-RH-50TC-50W-ALL-TUBE-GUITAR-COMBO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ120366374203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item120366374203&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318
RG's & Mesa's
Thanks. Does anyone know anywhere you can get first/second-hand amps really cheap in Brisbane?
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9
In my experience, buying 2nd hand in Australia isn't worth the effort. *

Because items come up for sale so rarely here, there is a lot of competition for them and that then drives the prices up to the point where it's only just below retail and sometimes even higher than the retail stores sales prices.

These are just my obervations, your miles may vary of course.

*(disclaimer: this is not to say that occasionally you can't find a bargain, it's just few and far between)
Last edited by Jaksar at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by e32lover
No, u can get them for $850 from Drumpower in Melbourne. They are a propper store but also sell on ebay, also u can bargain them down hard, I got my Randall RX120R for $560, Other stores are selling them for 800 bucks +. Theyr pretty friendly as well, here is a link to one of the RG50's they have on ebay, I have no affiliation with them at all, but i do shop there cos its cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RANDALL-RH-50TC-50W-ALL-TUBE-GUITAR-COMBO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ120366374203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item120366374203&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Sorry, but I doubt the Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue is really that cheap on Drumpower. It costs, RRP, $3100 here. I really don't think a store could have it that cheap brand new.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9