I have recently (strating this semester) had to start taking a course introducing programming in the C language and so far I am not liking it too much. It just took me half an hour to setup my compiler and get my "hello world' program to work. It is very frustrating. Anyone have any stories, etc...?
I once programmed a computer to do my work for me to increase productivity.

Then everything went horribly wrong...
yeah, you have to learn computer logic (which is very different from normal logic), it will go smoother once you get used to setting everything up also.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by goest

I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Apparently the 1st Year Computer Programming Class at my Uni has amazingly hot chicks. I thought you all should know that.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I have recently (strating this semester) had to start taking a course introducing programming in the C language and so far I am not liking it too much. It just took me half an hour to setup my compiler and get my "hello world' program to work. It is very frustrating. Anyone have any stories, etc...?

Dude, I just went through the exact same thing today in my computer programming class, only with Java instead of C. We made the "hello world" program as well and it took a good long while until everyone understood what to do. I feel for ya
I took it last semester. Don't worry about it, its very intimidating at first but as you get the feel of things you get used to it.

My biggest piece of advice is WATCH YOUR CAPITALIZATION. You can spend hours trying to figure out why a script wont run and it can turn out you just capitalized a word that is supposed to be lower cased.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Also - I have to go to a lab tomorrow and make an actual program that computes stuff and at this current time, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing.
That stupid program "C++" is what made me drop out of computer science.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Glad I'm not the only one.
Also - I have to go to a lab tomorrow and make an actual program that computes stuff and at this current time, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing.

don't worry, you'll probably just be writing a program that solves a simple equation, it's actually very easy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I didn't want to deal with that hassle, so i just learned HTML, and a little bit of ActionScript.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Honestly, there's no point starting with C anymore. Do whatever you need to to pass your class, but pick yourself up a good book on C++. It's a better investment of time and effort in the long run.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
don't worry, you'll probably just be writing a program that solves a simple equation, it's actually very easy.

Yes - that is what it should be (according to practice lab), but even then...
I'm about to take my second semester of Java, and I love it. I don't find it too challenging, usually.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
programming is easy.... if you know the language..
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Oh my god. I've been taking a similar class(mine is in java) except mine a year long course. I'm gonna go ahead and say HOLY SH*T. It is the hardest thing ever. I have a project due tomorrow that I don't know how to do and I've been working on it for more than 3 hours.

I'm in my second semester of it and it is much harder now. And the worst part is, I can't drop it. And even worse than that, there's like 3 girls in the class. And WORSE than that, they're ugly. :'(
Quote by xaviergray
All I know about programming (which isnt much) I learned from XKCD comics...

+10. Represent
I'm my second quarter of Java right now. I hate hate hate hate programming. Our latest homework assignment has us doing some raw data processing. I'm so lost!
It's a total pain in the arse but it's can be totally necessary for your major. I'm studying mechanical engineering and I HATE programming but it's vital for passing classes. So get used to it.
Programming isn't very hard once you get used to it. In fact it will turn out to be an easy class for you, I'll bet.
Quote by wyantsm
It's a total pain in the arse but it's can be totally necessary for your major. I'm studying mechanical engineering and I HATE programming but it's vital for passing classes. So get used to it.

Sucks, eh? I'm in first year engineering and planning on going into either mining or mechanical next year. I realize that I need the stuff, but I am not loving it very much so far.
Why not just do visual basic at the moment? It gets you used to a lot of logic, then follow up with C.
Oh and yes, the entry level programming class always has super hot chicks because some of them need it for business.
Because my class is about C. Trust me, I would gladly go back to qBasic if I could.
I took a Java class last semester, I really liked it. I'm pretty sure I want to go into computer programming as a profession.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
WTF?

I never had any experience with C++ prior to my programming classes last semester but it was cake.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
yeah c is an easy language, and very powerfull, once you get the syntaxis right, and if you have the "programers" logic, it will be the easy class
Quote by Carmen21
That stupid program "C++" is what made me drop out of computer science.

C++ isn't a program, perhaps that is where you went wrong.

CS will come easier to you very soon if you have even a decent teacher. My advice, stay on top of any homework and practice writing programs a lot and it will be a breeze on tests.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by goest

and you had to move to bel-air?

C++ programming is pretty easy once you get the grasp of how it works and what not.
Love c++

When i was learning people either got it or didn't and hated it...hope you don't get into the second category.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
java is sorta easy at first, until u get into failsafes n stuff like that, then it gets complicated
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.