Now what should I start working on as far as theory and guitar. Memorize the chords in a key? Any other suggestions?
well you should know:
the staff
circle of fifths both major and minor
Intervals ; visually and auditory
know how the major minor scale acutally work
modes
how to build major and minor chords

and seems like you got quite a bit to go.
Last edited by metalrhoads at Jan 20, 2009,
You mean study how to harmonize the major and minor scale?

Yeah do that.

Chord construction? Do you know how all the chords are formed and named?

Chord substitution is good too.
Si
1.Triads in the Major scales, and their functions.
1.5. Triad Inversions
2. Minor Scales Triads and functions
3. 7th chords
3.5. 7th chord inversions
4. Analyzing pieces of music

Do you really really know the major and minor scales? I'm sure you could give me the notes in a G or Eb Major or an A or F minor

But what are the notes in a Db Major scale?
F# Major?
Gb Minor?
Last edited by whocares09 at Jan 20, 2009,
i think he might of just learned the patterns on the guitar but not the actual scales and notes.
Yeah I know most of that stuff. I mean.. I've learned it before and I've learned scales before but now I'm going through and memorizing scales and what not. Is all that stuff, stuff that needs to be memorized and down like perfect? Also, if you asked me what notes were in the Db scale I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head but I could play it and then tell you the notes.. Is it really neccessary to have the notes of each scale memorized?
Quote by ksmash5
Yeah I know most of that stuff. I mean.. I've learned it before and I've learned scales before but now I'm going through and memorizing scales and what not. Is all that stuff, stuff that needs to be memorized and down like perfect? Also, if you asked me what notes were in the Db scale I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head but I could play it and then tell you the notes.. Is it really neccessary to have the notes of each scale memorized?

Yes. Absolutely.
It isn't nearly as difficult as it first seems. The circle of fifths will give you the necessary information.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Okay thats what I figured. Once you get the circle of fifths down good it should be pretty easy right?
Quote by ksmash5
Now what should I start working on as far as theory and guitar. Memorize the chords in a key? Any other suggestions?

What exactly do you mean by "got down pat"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ksmash5

I've got a suggestion: If you don't know where you are going with this theory lark, it doesn't actually matter what you work on. So fer chrissakes, what are your goals so somebody can make you a resonable suggestion.