So come tax refund time im looking to do some upgrading on my RG. I want to put a different trem in but I would like to know what is guarnteed to fit in an Edge 3 route. Ive heard you can do an OFR but sometimes they dont fit properly in this route. I was also looking at maybe replacing my bridge PUP with something new. For that I play classic rock and hair metal and would like to play a little shred (ala Racer X).
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
From everything I have heard about replacing edge IIIs OFRs seem to be the one that is said to fit most often. That said, I doubt the pole pieces are in the same spot as the edge so you will have to fill the old holes and drill new ones for the OFR.

Paul used a few kahlers, you could always go for one of those mystical beasts.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
An OFR should fit in the Edge 3 rout, and a Floyd Rose Pro will too.
As for the bridge pickup, Paul Gilbert uses Dimarzio's. For Racer X i'm pretty sure he used a Tone Zone and a PAF Pro, depending on which guitar he used. I think he may have used a Humbucker from Hell too.

^ A Kahler wouldnt be worth it because they have a completely different rout than a Floyd. Plus they go out of tune with bends. And OFR for Edge 3 is a direct swap, the studs are fine.
Last edited by littlephil at Jan 20, 2009,
Sounds like a plan on the trem do you know of any good dealers I should purchase from, I had to ask cause I dont wanna spend $200 on the trem and then find out it doesnt fit.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Just out of curiosity, since it would seem your question has been answered, why are you swapping out an Edge III for an OFR? In my humble opinion, the Edge IIIs are excellent bridges, great to set up and play with, and comparable in every way to an OFR. The only improvements I've seen made on the floating bridge design are the Ibanez Edge Zero and the TremKing, but maybe there's something I'm missing. What is it you see in the OFR?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Guess Im getting kinda paranoid about it going out on me which is why I want an OFR as they seem to be the most reliable that you can get.

EDIT: Thats what my local tech said when I emailed him as well....weird. It does seem to bounce back into tune pretty well even after repeated bends.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Jan 20, 2009,
Having had the distinct pleasure of setting up a number of different guitars (but by no means as many as the experienced builders here, I'm sure) that have floating bridges, I have to say, the Edge III is one of my favorites, second only to the Edge Zero. The TremKing looks fantastic in principle, but not having worked with one myself, I hesitate to comment on it.

And having worked with a number of Ibanez 350DX guitars (the model I suspect you are modding), I wouldn't think first to changing the bridge. If it is well set-up, it should stay in tune no problem. The major downfall of the 350DX, and really any low-to-mid-end-Ibanez, is the pickups. They're dreadful.

If it's worth it, it's worth it, but I think your money could be better spent.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by GravyFish
Having had the distinct pleasure of setting up a number of different guitars (but by no means as many as the experienced builders here, I'm sure) that have floating bridges, I have to say, the Edge III is one of my favorites, second only to the Edge Zero. The TremKing looks fantastic in principle, but not having worked with one myself, I hesitate to comment on it.

And having worked with a number of Ibanez 350DX guitars (the model I suspect you are modding), I wouldn't think first to changing the bridge. If it is well set-up, it should stay in tune no problem. The major downfall of the 350DX, and really any low-to-mid-end-Ibanez, is the pickups. They're dreadful.

If it's worth it, it's worth it, but I think your money could be better spent.

Yeah, but I often see threads on people having alot of issues with them it is set up correctly but I just get paranoid about it seeing all these issues.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by GravyFish
Just out of curiosity, since it would seem your question has been answered, why are you swapping out an Edge III for an OFR? In my humble opinion, the Edge IIIs are excellent bridges, great to set up and play with, and comparable in every way to an OFR. The only improvements I've seen made on the floating bridge design are the Ibanez Edge Zero and the TremKing, but maybe there's something I'm missing. What is it you see in the OFR?

The Edge III is actually a nice bridge to use like you said, and will last you a few years of years if you don't abuse it. But that's nothing to OFRs and Edges that still keep perfect tune after 20 years. If you play much Steve Vai, you'll be lucky to get a year out of it.
Quote by which ones pink
The Edge III is actually a nice bridge to use like you said, and will last you a few years of years if you don't abuse it. But that's nothing to OFRs and Edges that still keep perfect tune after 20 years. If you play much Steve Vai, you'll be lucky to get a year out of it.

I dont use it hardly at all most of the time the trem arm isnt even in
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Ah, low-quality metal. That makes sense, then, how it sets up well. I've only ever worked with relatively new Edge III bridges, hopefully I'll never have to deal with their flaws. I only have one guitar with a trem, and Ibanez RG340 I got it for $40 that I fixed up and am now trying to sell. It has a TRT-2. I don't use trems, so it's not much good to me

By the way, why did you get a guitar with a floating bridge when you don't really use it?
I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by GravyFish
Ah, low-quality metal. That makes sense, then, how it sets up well. I've only ever worked with relatively new Edge III bridges, hopefully I'll never have to deal with their flaws. I only have one guitar with a trem, and Ibanez RG340 I got it for $40 that I fixed up and am now trying to sell. It has a TRT-2. I don't use trems, so it's not much good to me

By the way, why did you get a guitar with a floating bridge when you don't really use it?

It was something I thought I would use but ended up not really using.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112