The image of a band is very important, especially for success. Whether it be playing in a cover band working parties/functions, or an all original band headlining the House of Blues or Madison Square Garden. An image is given off by the way in which you dress, how you present yourself as a band, and how you interact with the audience on and off the stage. What is your bands image? How would you describe it? Discuss.
Last edited by freshtunes at Jan 20, 2009,
I've been putting a lot of thought into this with my current band. We're indie/pop-punk, so some crazy stage get up ala Gwar or KISS would be ridiculous. I try to go with the ironic hipster look (lotta vintage 80's t shirts) but we're still struggling to find a visual that works onstage and doesn't come across as forced.
Ideally, we'd like to come up with something that matches our 'act.' Our sound borrows from various pop-punk and indie bands, but we also do a lot of joking around on stage.

It's hard to come up with an image that's unique. It's something that I think takes a lot of effort. Unless, of course, you're in a metal band. Then you just have to wear black and act pissed off all the time.
My drummer and I don't try to go for any crazy, outrageous, or unreal image. We just try to be ourselves. When we start playing shows it won't be any different. We're just gonna play the music we like to play and be ourselves on stage at the same time. The themes/gimmicks are all fine for the bands that do them but we don't really try to do anything like that.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Now to all you naysayers who are so unkeen to the importance of image, look at motorhead, the band which NEVER sells out (they might have early on)
Thier definitive logo, combined with the ferocious growling sound was enough to define thier no BS image. Lets also not forget the Bomber which is (was) a huge flying structure that would go across the crowd in the early days- ask Slacker for more info on that

It is important to make an image which isnt forced, but reflective of the members of the group. I think I will go for a psychadelic biker image of some time, but I do not wish to juxtapose an overdone image. I need something which will add to the over-the-top nature of my preformance.
Image is gay. Who cares what act you put on if you play good?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
can't go wrong with a black t shirt and jeans.

Quote by Da Squiz

unfortunately, (or furtunately, however you see it), an image is a major part of the music. do you think jimi hendrix would have been the same sans his cosmic attire? do you think metalica would have been the same if they just wore t-****s and shorts, and cut their hair? do you think jimmy page would have exuded his mystique if not for his dragon suit?

probably not. image is a huge part of any band.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Da Squiz

Lol...

The audience cares. They pay to see you to see a performance, you're an utter douche if you just stand there completely still and play your instrument with no emotion. Visual stimulation is a huge part of a live performance and the self-righteous, pretentious "I do it for the music" people who do not recognize that will disappoint their audience tremendously if they ever actually get on stage.
Quote by Jhachey22

Unless you happen to be in King Crimson!
Quote by Jhachey22
can't go wrong with a black t shirt and jeans.

unfortunately, (or furtunately, however you see it), an image is a major part of the music. do you think jimi hendrix would have been the same sans his cosmic attire? do you think metalica would have been the same if they just wore t-****s and shorts, and cut their hair? do you think jimmy page would have exuded his mystique if not for his dragon suit?

I suppose this is true, but what works for one generation may not work in others. If someone came out dressed in cosmic attire now or started a self proclaimed "hair" metal band i would just laugh and take it as a huge joke
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Unless you happen to be in King Crimson!

Actually, King Crimson definitely care about their image, whether you think so or not. Any band that uses any colored lighting on stage cares about their image, because that is part of it. Even down to the setup of your stage is part of your image.

Do you think Pink Floyd would have become as huge without their elaborate stage shows? Anybody ever see The Wall tour? Or even the PULSE DVD? All of that was part of their image.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
This argument about whether or not image is important seems to have been coming up a lot lately...
My band is an industrial rock-type band. We dress in a lot of black with jeans and the keyboardist often wears this black frilly shirt.
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
I think your image should honestly reflect yourself and your music. I think that people who overdo it look ridiculous, but some image is always kool. The wild and crazy headbanging and long, unkempt locks in metal are awesome, but at the same time I think that a band that goes out in corpse-paint with spikes everywhere looks a little ridiculous playing at their local bar. Same with any genre of music.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
me(one of the guitarists) and our bassist almost always wander out into the crowd durring certian songs and play in the middle of them. the singer/other guitarist will dance like a mad man high kicking and whatnot durring certian parts of songs. we always have energy and play till we sweat our asses off every time. we will huddle in a circle around the drums durring slower ambiant parts almsot shunning the audience then explode out when the buildup is at its peak. we try to interact with the crowd and most of all look like we're having more fun than everyone else in the venue. we've had people tell us they've never seen a band look like they enjoyed playing as much as us, and it made the night that much better.

as for how we dress, depends on the venue. we've done the shirt/tie thing before, we'll normally wear jeans and t-shirts. we're... kinda a progressive punk/funk/rock. we always have fun, and always will talk with people after the shows. we usta get mad at ourselves and even say something about how we played bad or "ahh damn i messed up on that one song" but we realized, no one notices, or remembers. sure its bad, and we get better and better each time, but theres no reason to bring it up amongst people other than ourselves.