15 28%
no
29 54%
indifferent/unsure
10 19%
Voters: 54.
see poll

edit:

I'm not sure if I understand the principles of capitalism, but if it's like what I'm thinking, then it's every man for them self essentially. What I mean is if it is a capitalistic ideal to steal for your own benefit.
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Jan 20, 2009,
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
I'm not sure what type of answer you're looking for, but theft definitely affects the prices of things in specific stores or areas.

If a specific shop or store experiences a lot of theft, prices are going to rice to offset the money which was lost.

Often times you'll find that everything costs more in certain parts of large cities, I know in the "local ghetto" all of the places charge a bit more than what everything should cost, and that's partly because crime is higher in that part of town.
Quote by dudius
Often times you'll find that everything costs more in certain parts of large cities, I know in the "local ghetto" all of the places charge a bit more than what everything should cost, and that's partly because crime is higher in that part of town.

The higher prices could lead people to stealing the stuff though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
since capitolism doesn't exist nothing is part of it. Capitalism on the other hand well c'est le meme chose
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by rhcp_freak
The higher prices could lead people to stealing the stuff though.

its a vicious cycle
well i guess if its you yourself stealing the stuff and your the one benefitting for it, but then again i dont fully understand the system
You need to define "stealing."

If you mean shoplifting at a store, I frankly do not see the connection.

But essentially, I believe that capitalism does in effect result in "stealing" of some sort. I haven't been reading up on this stuff yet, but from my point of view capitalism--or at least modern corporate capitalism--is fundamentally a system where the wealthy derive more riches from their currrent wealth, and as this progresses, the poor and powerless are pushed down more and more to the bottom with fewer and fewer opportunities to evade poverty.

At least that's what I think.
I read the title as "I'm stealing a part of the Capitol" and expected someone with a plan to break into the Capitol during the Inauguration tomorrow.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
I read the title as "I'm stealing a part of the Capitol" and expected someone with a plan to break into the Capitol during the Inauguration tomorrow.

Best plot ever. Everyone's focused only a few miles (metres? Not sure how far the White House is from the Lincoln Memorial and shit) away while you go and steal some paintings or graffiti the place up, like this:

Response relative to the topic at hand: No, capitalism is supposed to be a free, fair market, is my understanding, and no one should be tempted or able to take advantage of the system.
Last edited by st.stephen at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by dudius
I'm not sure what type of answer you're looking for, but theft definitely affects the prices of things in specific stores or areas.

If a specific shop or store experiences a lot of theft, prices are going to rice to offset the money which was lost.

And that's the circle of life.
Quote by BrockTandem
And that's the circle of life.

As an actual response to the thread: theft is part of human nature, not any particular economic system.
Quote by dudius

wow...in the rich area of my city they charge about $4 for a bottle of coke that is about 330ml...so maybe a little less volume than a can...srzly do they think that their coke tastes better than the coke in other shops...

bloody richers...
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by dudius

Shops in low-income areas will also charge more because they figure they have a captive audience.
capitalism is about the individual; its the economy of evolution, survival of the fittest and all that jazz. Thing is it works, well to an extent. Poor people are gettin pushed over but more opportunities are now there for the poor to get a good education, i suppose that is pretty culturally biased tho!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by st.stephen

Response relative to the topic at hand: No, capitalism is supposed to be a free, fair market, is my understanding, and no one should be tempted or able to take advantage of the system.

That's a very naive world view. Its a "free market" controlled by Rich bastards who simply want to get richer. And since they're acting to further there own means, its far from fair.

Capitalism favours the haves, while further oppressing the have-nots. Why do you think 90% of American capital is in the hands of the top 1% people?

The poor only have options if the rich give it to them, and the rich aren't going to give opportunities that allow the poor to get so rich that they join the existing rich group. The rich will only give as many opportunities as it takes to give the lower class the illusion that they have a chance, to lull them into complacement.

/rant
Quote by Trickycindy
You're a f*cking wanker.

Quote by JC13
@Prole... Magnificent...

Quote by ZanasCross
Thanks sir. Unbanned.
It's a part of Darwinism, which is what capitalism is based on, yes.

I actually made that up. Sorry.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 20, 2009,

capitolism ftw
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Given some of the responses I've read here, the thought of some of you being part of the future society... frightens me.
Quote by Prole

That's a very naive world view. Its a "free market" controlled by Rich bastards who simply want to get richer. And since they're acting to further there own means, its far from fair.

Capitalism favours the haves, while further oppressing the have-nots. Why do you think 90% of American capital is in the hands of the top 1% people?

The poor only have options if the rich give it to them, and the rich aren't going to give opportunities that allow the poor to get so rich that they join the existing rich group. The rich will only give as many opportunities as it takes to give the lower class the illusion that they have a chance, to lull them into complacement.

/rant

US>>>>rest of the world Its this way for a reason.
Quote by metal4ever6328

and that reason isnt capitalism.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Stealing is not a part of capitalism by definition but it does actually happen in the real world.
Quote by metal4ever6328

USA! USA! USA! USA!

*fires a gun into the air, and accidentally kills a child.*
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
USA! USA! USA! USA!

*fires a gun into the air, and accidentally kills a child.*

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Well, profit is essentially something for nothing. Whether or not you would classify that as stealing really depends on the person.
Quote by metal4ever6328

You're an idiot.
I've been here since '04.

Quote by dudius

if thats true then it seems like noone is stealing from Tesco
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Last edited by Lirarn at Jan 20, 2009,