i was thinking that giving guitar lessons may be a good way to earn some extra cash while im at uni, can anyone just become a guitar teacher? does anyone have any info on what is required, would i need any qualifications?
It's common sense really: put up fliers offering lessons or ask for a job at a guitar store. Understanding and mastery of theory and application of and reading notation is probably whats necessary. Teaching kids tablature and open chords won't do.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
well you've got to know what your doing and i dont just mean that you have to know guitar but you have to know how to explain things and know how to demonstrate things and know how to get things across to the student so they understand.
Quote by bluephyre
i was thinking that giving guitar lessons may be a good way to earn some extra cash while im at uni, can anyone just become a guitar teacher?
Pretty much. Obviously you have to be alright at guitar, but it's not like you need a license or anything.
Quote by bluephyre
does anyone have any info on what is required, would i need any qualifications?
I doubt it. Just put up ads and maybe work in a guitar shop.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
It's common sense really: put up fliers offering lessons or ask for a job at a guitar store. Understanding and mastery of theory and application of and reading notation is probably whats necessary. Teaching kids tablature and open chords won't do.
I wouldn't say you need to fully understand theory. Especially since 90% of the people kids look up to have little to no formal education in music. I'd recommend that for teaching classical or jazz. But most kids just want to learn to play songs by people like Coldplay, RHCP or maybe some classic rock bands.
thanks, so it sounds like its just the teaching skills you need to posess, no actual qualifications? I was just thinking of putting fliers up in the local music shops or something like that
I wouldn't put fliers up in the music shops as they have their own teachers who pay fees to teach in the shops rooms. You're undercutting their business. Put an ad on notice boards and newspapers. Word of mouth is good also. Otherwise go see a shop they may want some teachers.

Edit: Also, I hope you have a whole lot of patience...
Quote by bluephyre
thanks, so it sounds like its just the teaching skills you need to posess, no actual qualifications? I was just thinking of putting fliers up in the local music shops or something like that
That'll work. I know a guy who teaches guitar, and I've substituted for him before, and he said (and I'd have to agree) it's almost a steal. I sat in a guitar shop for 2 hours and made $50 teaching 3 students. But some personal advice from me: Most students I've known, not really from my little teaching experience, but from all the guitarists I've known in my life, aren't looking to shredz and play epick bendz from guys like Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert. So (I dunno what you look like or dress like) when I teach, I try to look nice (don't look like a total metalhead). Not overdo it with a suit, but maybe just something nicer than a t-shirt (a woven shirt or polo, maybe), some jeans that don't have tears or whole in them, or something like that.

Something like that. Although to be fair, I give more effort in my appearance than the average guy.
This thread has helped me too. I've been thinking of doing the same. I've got 13 years experience, that'd look good on a flier or ad wouldn't it? (Sorry to hijack).
I work as a guitar teacher, and you pretty much just need a decent knowledge of both scale and chord theory, you don't need to be a guitar master. You don't really even need to be a good teacher at first, cause no one is, so it would help to practice teaching to friends and family members first then go and advertize as a teacher. Pretty much anyone looking for a guitar teacher isn't very experienced anyway so don't worry about not having the required knowledge. You just need to be at least an intermediate guitarist, know how to convey what you know to the student, which comes with time, and have a lesson plan. Plain and simple.
Quote by The Madcap
That'll work. I know a guy who teaches guitar, and I've substituted for him before, and he said (and I'd have to agree) it's almost a steal. I sat in a guitar shop for 2 hours and made $50 teaching 3 students. But some personal advice from me: Most students I've known, not really from my little teaching experience, but from all the guitarists I've known in my life, aren't looking to shredz and play epick bendz from guys like Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert. So (I dunno what you look like or dress like) when I teach, I try to look nice (don't look like a total metalhead). Not overdo it with a suit, but maybe just something nicer than a t-shirt (a woven shirt or polo, maybe), some jeans that don't have tears or whole in them, or something like that.

Something like that. Although to be fair, I give more effort in my appearance than the average guy.

man almost every teacher i had dressed like a metal head they turned up in slayer and iron maiden shirts and it seems like all you need to be a guitar teacher is know how to read tab, all my teachers except maybe one or two turned up to lessons with guitar tabs and just sat there watching me trying to play it
Dude, there was an excellent thread here about this a few days ago. If u use the search option you would have found it. I'm not saying that I'm reporting this or anything but letting ya know that u just missed a great thread with advice about this. Try to find it.

Cheers!

EDIT- here it is, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042135&highlight=teaching
Last edited by YA89 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by The Madcap

Will this work?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
Will this work?

im sure parents would love their children to be taught by him
Quote by Dimebag Dave

wat.

That's like, what 99% of guitar teachers do first, teach tab and open chords.

Theory can come later, IF the student wants to learn it.
Quote by bluephyre
i was thinking that giving guitar lessons may be a good way to earn some extra cash while im at uni, can anyone just become a guitar teacher? does anyone have any info on what is required, would i need any qualifications?

I did it before university. I am in year one now.

On saturdays 11am till 1pm I taught 3 students aged 12, 12, and 11

Just the basics, To get the comfortable playing CAGED chords and understanding the components of the guitar.

No one needs a qualification for that.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

BS. He's not gonna get many customers teaching about the magic of diatonic scales and modes. An eleven year old doesn't have the mental capacity for that. The kid wants to jump around and make noise, and play sweet child o mine. If he wants to learn about reading notation he can take piano lessons
UG's Prodigal Son
Well you'd have to be a grade 8 guitarist
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
I'm really thinking about doing this too. I know a **** load of popular songs and scales to teach. I could go on for days with them. If I have them, should I offer to go to them or should I make them come to me?
The times they are a changin'.....
You don't need much, my teacher would show up with printed lessons off the internet, hand em to me, watch me play them, and then ask me, "woah, how do you do that" and his excuse for it all was "I feel I need to learn from my students" I was disappoint.
Well you see guys I think we should try to figure out what would make the best teacher now. I mean, I think some guys are wrong. I believe that anyone with a little bit more experience than the other guy can teach him his ****. But some people are not meant to be teachers, and they forget how hard it truly once was to move thru each of those god damn basic chords.
The times they are a changin'.....