Ok so ever since I started theory Ive been playing only Gmajor scale including all the modes. I have a basic knowledge of the circle of fifths and how sharps and flats are added. Although I don't have a good ear for it and not memorized. I was wondering if metal bands use alot of different major scales for songs, or keys and what are some of the most popular ones to learn?

I want to learn a new major scale and all the modes with it. It will expand my memory of the circle of fifths and give me more options while playing. I'd hate to just pick Gb for example and start learning it and it not be used in the music I like to play.

Emajor scale is used in a wide variaty right? would it be stupid to skip from learning Gmajor to Emajor, or should I learn everything between first?
e minor is a popular key for metal i think and the major scale isnt very metal. i think the minor scales and the pentatonics are best
but im not sure i have little knowledge on music theory
Metal would be natural and harmonic minor, as well as locrian and Phrygian, that covers most of it to my knowledge.
just learn your major and minor scales. good job on learning modes. but you do know scales can be moved anywhere right? pentatonics are good too.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Hmm, learn your theory (formulas and intervals and stuff) then learn some moveable shapes *cautiously raises flame shield*.

This way you'll learn how to play any major scale anywhere on the fretboard.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Hmm, learn your theory (formulas and intervals and stuff) then learn some moveable shapes *cautiously raises flame shield*.

This way you'll learn how to play any major scale anywhere on the fretboard.

Learning by shapes isn't bad. As long as you still know what notes you're hitting.

If you know the shape and the scale, it makes it easier to find/memorize the notes and intervals on the fretboard....but in the meantime - shapes work.

If I was teaching, I'd teach both at the same time - and get the student to say the names of the notes out loud as they play the shapes.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Jan 20, 2009,