Hey, i bought a pair of ernie ball super slinky 10-42 strings on the 9th of january 2009 and i put them on my guitar that day, and today i was tuning it to DADGBe (it was already in that, it had just slightly slipped out of it due to bending and what not) and the high E string broke while i was tuning it, why did this happen? i was tuning it up but only by an absolute miniscule ammount

why!!!!

Thanks
Dean
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Maybe u were careless. I never have problems with EBs and I use the same gauge.
i wasnt careless though, i had the guitar plugged into the tuner and was watching it carefully

Join The NSW FTW Group
Any number of reasons, man. Is this something you've had issues with before?

I haven't had entirely favorable experiences with EB strings, personally. My sets always tended to break frequently, go flat early, and just generally present a lot of issues. I switched to D'Addario and never looked back.

Couple of things to consider:
1) Quality control can't catch everything. This may have just been a bad set.
2) If is something you've had issues with before - or if you continue to have issues with it in the near future - you may want to take your guitar in for a checkup. If your bridge or nut need adjusting, this can cause strings to break prematurely in some cases.
3) Make sure you aren't winding the string around the tuning peg too many times. Not only can this cause slippage and make tuning a pain in the asterisk, it also makes premature string breakage a possibility.
ive never used ernie ball strings before, i used to use D'Addario but decided to try out EB's, never had this problem with D'Addario's

thankyou, i guess its just a bad set

Join The NSW FTW Group