Page 1 of 3
Obviously, we in Japan and other developed countries complain about the financial and economic crisis, but we all know that it's affecting the country that caused it the most.
How is it actually affecting you, fellow Americans?

Though it's not affecting my family directly, because of a cent is cheaper than a yen now (a dollar, which was about 129 yen, is now 87 yen) , many American products are cheap as hell and gas prices are insanely low these days, almost half the amount we were spending half a year ago.
My father purchased a lot of stuff through online shopping from America because everything is about 30 percent cheaper.
It's having a bad effect on Japanese workers, as they are getting laid off, especially Sony, that stupid Japanese cooperation fired more than a thousand workers.
Over here, a few stores have gone into administration, including Woolworths, Zavvi and Adam's Kids (it's a shop. Not my kids).

I read a news article the other day about a pound shop closing down because a 99p shop opened across the road.

Edit:

A pound shop has been put out of business - by a rival 99 pence store.

Thrifty shoppers began bypassing Pound World when the competitive shop opened directly opposite.
It is thought people struggling to beat the credit crunch would rather save just one penny by shopping in 99p Stores.
Penny pinching: Pound World in Poole has been forced to close after a 99p Store opened nearby
Pound World bosses claim the rush across the high street has got so bad that the shop has seen a 70 per cent drop in turnover.
They have now been forced to close the discount store in Poole, Dorset, due to the nosedive in takings.
Jamie Lang, area manager of Pound World, said the shop's turnover had been stable
since the store opened in June last year.

But takings began to tumble when 99p Stores opened across the road just weeks ago - undercutting their prices by just one penny.
Mr Lang said: 'It's amazing that we are having to close because of a 99 pence store.

'But people will go wherever they can get what they need at the cheapest price - even if the difference is just one penny.'
Hussein Lalani, commercial director for 99p Stores, blamed the poor economic climate for the unfortunate situation.
He said: 'We never try to directly affect anyone but it's all healthy competition.

'With tight pockets and wallets these days, there is a lot of competition for the pound on the high street'.
The closed shop's seven staff will however remain employed, by another discount store opening on the same site.
Last edited by Minkaro at Jan 20, 2009,
Depends where you live.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
It's really not that bad in the UK. We've had half a dozen or so far worse recessions in the past 50 years.
family 300 in debt and my internet is going cus cant afford it
GEAR:

Jackson dk2m

Marshall jcm2000 dsl

Schecter omen6 diamond series

People are bitching here in France, but it's not that bad. I think it depends on mostly on which industry/business you work for...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Quote by tickler444
People are bitching here in France, but it's not that bad. I think it depends on mostly on which industry/business you work for...

Your truck drivers should be OK, they spend most of their time on strike anyway, amirite?
Quote by MightyAl
Your truck drivers should be OK, they spend most of their time on strike anyway, amirite?

I think that's spain... They couldn't afford the gas prices for the heavy trucks that require a lot of gasoline
I've lost over $20,000 in my 401k in the last 3 months. I thought this was the most secure way to save for retirement Oh well, I consider myself fortunate to still have a job.
media blows it out of proportion if you go on Wikipedia you can see how many major recessions have happened in the last 100 years. Its a lot btw! its a bad one compared to the others but economies fluctuate.

^^dude thats a lot of money anyway
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by n2dabloo
I've lost over $20,000 in my 401k in the last 3 months. I thought this was the most secure way to save for retirement Oh well, I consider myself fortunate to still have a job.
Sounds like you're still old enough to eventually get something (even if it's very little) from social security. I figure that by the time I retire, I'll get be freeloading directly off my kids if my savings somehow go awry
Quote by burndttoast
Sounds like you're still old enough to eventually get something (even if it's very little) from social security. I figure that by the time I retire, I'll get be freeloading directly off my kids if my savings somehow go awry

most recessions don't last longer than 2 years anyway. we'll be fine well as long as a certain prime minister gets his act together!!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Andy2k64
media blows it out of proportion if you go on Wikipedia you can see how many major recessions have happened in the last 100 years. Its a lot btw! its a bad one compared to the others but economies fluctuate.

^^dude thats a lot of money anyway

compared to the one in 1929, its much better
its pretty bad. my father, who is a luthier, cant sell anything at the prices he could have six months ago. the market for luxuries has shrunk.

here in california, we have budget problems and might go bankrupt, so we might be completely SOL.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Andy2k64
most recessions don't last longer than 2 years anyway. we'll be fine well as long as a certain prime minister gets his act together!!!

Some say the best solution to this is war.
If we win against something, the unemployed will be drafted and the heavy production will save the economy.
my family had to find companies that'll pay our debt and such
it's the first time so that's kinda odd for me
but hey, we got a new president today and im hoping for change!
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
The recession has hit everywhere, but it differs not just in individual countries but also in different areas of countries. In england I would say its bad, almost very bad due to the amount of jobs being lost in the financial sector alone, let alone all other businesses affected by it. But I say its going to get worse before it gets better, we will hit harder times.
Quote by radomu
Obviously, we in Japan ...
How is it actually affecting you, fellow Americans?

Though it's not affecting my family directly, because of a cent is cheaper than a yen now (a dollar, which was about 129 yen, is now 87 yen) , many American products are cheap as hell and gas prices are insanely low these days, almost half the amount we were spending half a year ago.
My father purchased a lot of stuff through online shopping from America because everything is about 30 percent cheaper.
It's having a bad effect on Japanese workers, as they are getting laid off, especially Sony, that stupid Japanese cooperation fired more than a thousand workers.

eh?

Oh, and people are probably getting fired because folk (like you) are buying stuff from American companies rather than Sony
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Why are American products cheaper in Japan when they are becoming more expensive in Australia? I ordered an ISP Decimator before the recession and by the time it arrived, it was $40 more expensive than what they told me when I ordered it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by grobbo91
Why are American products cheaper in Japan when they are becoming more expensive in Australia? I ordered an ISP Decimator before the recession and by the time it arrived, it was $40 more expensive than what they told me when I ordered it.

Excahnge rates, I'm guessing. The USD is weakening against the yen, but may be stronger against the AusD.
Yeah, we used to get around 85-90 USC for one Australian dollar. I completely forgot about that. I don't really get why some currencies are worse and some are better. I'm don't understand economics at all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
only problem the recession has given me is that i lost my part time job cause the shop couldn't afford to keep temp staff on, and its hard to find another one since stores are lacking funds.
Quote by grobbo91
Yeah, we used to get around 85-90 USC for one Australian dollar. I completely forgot about that. I don't really get why some currencies are worse and some are better. I'm don't understand economics at all.

I don't understand it fully, either. I'd be willing to bet noone understands all of it.
****'ll be fine, like people said, certain industries will be affected. I work as a cook in a privately owned bar/restaurant, so I have no worry of corporate shutdown holocaust ****. Actually, we've been more successful as of late because of the ravens play-off wins (some drunk dude cried on sunday, like bawling, it was hilarious. ****ing steelers) im about to get a raise
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
I just wish it will cure in a year, while pretty impossible, because I'm going to college in the summer of 2010.
Its getting hard for us my dad works construction and the market for what he builds is starting to go away, but he has a friend in California who said its starting to pick up over there a little bit
I've got no job and a massive debt I can't pay- sucks. Nowhere will employ me because there are so many people losing their jobs who have more experience than me.
In england lots of people are losing there jobs because of lack of funds, Zavvi has gone into Admin and Woolworths is completely gone I believe. And I can't find a job anywhere

But recessions will always happen, we can get through it as a nation!! *Holds fist up high*
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

No problem for me. Petrol is down from 1.30 a litre to 91cent a litre but I still get paid for miles at the old rate. I'm unemployed (home carer) and the guitar I want is down from 625 euro to 545 euro. My rent went down, too.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I've got no job and a massive debt I can't pay- sucks. Nowhere will employ me because there are so many people losing their jobs who have more experience than me.

Same. Worst time ever to drop out of university... Sucks. Especially since every time I pay anything of my student loan off I seem to get another letter telling me I owe something else...
Quote by MightyAl
Excahnge rates, I'm guessing. The USD is weakening against the yen, but may be stronger against the AusD.

Exactly ^^

The Aussie dollar about 1 year ago was almost equal to the USD because the US started weakening, but the recession hadn't hit Australia yet. Now, the recession has started to affect Australia, and therfore our dollar is weakening at the same rate, if not faster than the US dollar.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I think it's great how the american economy has got so bad that they have given up racism!
i can just imagine it now...
KKK member: I hate the blacks, but if i vote mcCain, will I have enough money to buy rope?

it's great!
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
well i think its bad here in the uk.

i am a student and am finding it hard with food prices. well atm i am living off tesco value or asda smart price. (go me)
compared to what it was like before bristol town centre is rather deserted. zavvi in admin. even next and debenhams have been on the news and are suffering. warehouse have been told not to answer any questions to anyone by the media. officers club closing down and a few other places goin into admin too.
i need a job but due to all this there is a severe lack of jobs around. and due to my lack of funds i aint going to hardly any concerts anymore and when i go out for a night out i dont drink loads anymore purely cos of the money
Page 1 of 3