Im trying to decide wether to buy a EHX Metal Muff or a Boss Metal Zone.

Metal Zone Review:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uut1ol_HfCU

Metal Muff Review:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGWkT-M-L4

From personal experience and from these two reviews what do you guys think. Personally i love the warmth from the Muff but love the Metal Zone at higher levels...

P.S Also each note played through the metal zone seems alot clearer than the muff, this could be because the muff is played with a les paul and the zone is played with ??? what guitar is that??
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Last edited by oatley at Jan 20, 2009,
Neither.
What kind of tone you looking for?
Can't you just overdrive your TT?

And please don't judge gear based on youtube videos. There are so many variables involved it's just impractical.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 20, 2009,
Get a tubescreamer or a gt-od.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Horlicks
Neither.
What kind of tone you looking for?
Can't you just overdrive your TT?

And please don't judge gear based on youtube videos. There are so many variables involved it's just impractical.

yer tho my tiny terror doesnt get heavier than a black sabbathy sound, it only has volume gain and tone. it cant reach distortions of master of puppets for example
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Yeah just buy a nice overdrive for it.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
yeah man go for an overdrive.

metal pedals are so not metal. everyone has had a metal zone, metal master, or uber metal and they are crap. the only pedal i used that came close to decent was a sansamp gt2, and thats a preamp i suppose.
Get a marshall MG, it has CRUSHING overdrive!

Seriously though. as mentioned before, get an overdrive.
That is, if you like the sound of your TT's drive channel but just wished it was more overdriven.
An overdrive will push it harder, easily getting you into metal territory.
The metal zone definitely has its place but I wouln't use it for metal personally. i use it to get heavier thick tones out of my classic 30.
Buy an EQ pedal - that'll probably be more use than anything...you want to take some of that old school throatiness out of the TT's sound and an OD won't do that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 20, 2009,
An overdrive or EQ would be of more use to you.

The Metal Muff kicks the Metal Zone's ass, but you shouldn't really be looking at either.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
An overdrive or EQ would be of more use to you.

The Metal Muff kicks the Metal Zone's ass, but you shouldn't really be looking at either.

+1 on both
You have a tiny terror awesome, I would reccomend you get a booster like a SHO or LPB-1 to drive it to saturation then have an EQ (before the boost in case it distorts the EQ) with a large trable and bass boost and a mid cut. Then experiment with your amps tonestack to get the tone.
EQ pedal, clean boost, or overdrive. Any of them will help you get the sound you want much better than ANY piece of gear with "Metal" in the name. In fact, somebody on another forums specifically stated that she (yes, SHE. There are women on teh interwebz) recently learned (and I can attest to this) that to get a great metal tone, avoid ANY product with "metal" in the name.

EDIT: My comment stands, but steven seagull made an equally good point. An EQ should scoop the vintagey sound outta that amp and boost it into thrash territory.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 20, 2009,
Nah, I've had both a Metal Muff ant the MT-2 and the latter is a keeper. It justs depends on the style of music you play.
I would also advise against both. Going with an overdrive would have more use in the future (assuming you wish to continue playing guitar a few years down the line.) If you ever get a nice tube amp, an overdrive would most likely have much more use than a distortion pedal. Though, if you only want a quick fix and plan on using it for around 1+ years, by all means go for a distortion pedal if it is what you desire.

I've never played a metal muff, but I do own a metal zone and it's not bad for low volumes. If used at higher volumes, it gets muddy and crappy. I always found its sound a bit too harsh though, even for metal. Good for bedroom playing though.
GMO INC.
Going with an overdrive would have more use in the future (assuming you wish to continue playing guitar a few years down the line.) If you ever get a nice tube amp, an overdrive would most likely have much more use than a distortion pedal

Explain? I was going to get a boss MD-2 to go with my peavey 15w amp.. I used a friends one and it sounded great together with my ESP with EMG 81s.

But in my case, when i jam the studios usually have mesa boogie or marshall tube amps. Will the MD-2 distortion pedal be useless for those times where i use tubes? I mean, i could use the amps beautiful built in distortion, but i wont be able to change to clean with my foot. How how how?
Quote by raysoh8
Explain? I was going to get a boss MD-2 to go with my peavey 15w amp.. I used a friends one and it sounded great together with my ESP with EMG 81s.

But in my case, when i jam the studios usually have mesa boogie or marshall tube amps. Will the MD-2 distortion pedal be useless for those times where i use tubes? I mean, i could use the amps beautiful built in distortion, but i wont be able to change to clean with my foot. How how how?

Well, it's really a subjective opinion of what sounds better but I barely used my metal zone after upgrading my gear. The MD-2 is only going to be as useless as you make it pretty much. I've just found that my OD+amp distortion is more clear and, well, better.

Just so it's known, I started with a Fender Strat and a junky crate 15w practice amp and the Metal Zone was great for me back then because I could get a usable metal tone from a non-metal guitar. Now I have a Mesa Boogie F-30 and a Maxon OD 808 with a Schecter Hellraiser which, IMO, has a much better distortion. The metal zone just dominates the sound and made the boogie pretty much pointless.

Oh, and you can change clean with your foot. The studio should have footswitches for the amps
GMO INC.
Tiny Terrors sound pretty good with EQ pedals, but you will never get it to do metallica tones from Master of Puppets onwards, especially not the Black album, it's just voiced wrong for that.
However, you can get excellent Slayer like tones by boosting the 800Hz, or get an OD pedal and turn the gain up to get Ride The Lightning tones.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
i say, just like most people, you should get an OD pedal to add a little gain to your amp's distortion. it will sound better than all the "metal pedals". an EQ would also help too
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
After a drunken e-bay purchase I'm now the (prowd???) owner of a 'Biyang Metal End' distortion pedal......and I have to say it's quite good....

For £40 you get an analogue pedal with true bypass, made with German WIMA caps and built like a tank.

I've been through a shed load of pedals and this one is pretty good.

4 band EQ with 2 mid range controls and a load of switches for moderm/classic, bright/warm and hi-cut give you loads of different tones.

It's loads better than a £100 Blackstar pedal I replaced it with ...
I suggest the metal neither. It's kinda been said by a few people, but I would suggest getting an EQ and an OD. EQ to shape the tone of it, and the OD to add a bit more drive to it to push it into that metal territory.

As far as EQs go, I'll suggest either the Danelectro Fish N' Chips, or one of the MXR EQs.

As for the OD, the Digitech Badmonkey, or one of the Tubescreamers.

Of course, there are other options. I suggest these as they are cheap, and widely accepted.
Finally. A thread that majority of the people do not say "metal muff all the way" or "metal muff /thread".

Seriously, get a decent OD to boost your amp. If budget is tight, get the bad monkey. If you got the money, get an OCD or something at that level. Or you could just build your own clone.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots