Page 1 of 2
do they use different chords? or what
i mean how do they differ.
how can i tell if a song is classic rock or modern rock.

serious answers only thank you very much!
^yup

classic rock- 60s, 70s, some 80s, (probably some 50s to)
like rolling stones, jimi hendrix, boston, blue oyster cult ect

modern rock- 90s, 00s
nirvana, nickleback *cringes*, foo fighters.....

edit: i feel dumb even contributing to this thread considering what an obvious answer it is
They sound different. One sounds more modern, obviously
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by thrashOWNZ
^yup

classic rock- 60s, 70s, some 80s, (probably some 50s to)
like rolling stones, jimi hendrix, boston, blue oyster cult ect

modern rock- 90s, 00s
nirvana, nickleback *cringes*, foo fighters.....

edit: i feel dumb even contributing to this thread considering what an obvious answer it is

so in a couple of decades...jonas brothers will be considered classic rock ?
:S
Quote by luyezi27

No, it will be classified as "shit" as it is at the moment.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
There's also generally a different sound to each. Classic rock has much warmer, lower gain guitar sounds. But that's expected with the age difference.
Quote by luyezi27

i hope not, plus what would we call the music we consider classic rock today? unless theyd be neo-classic(al) rock
Quote by Les Paul Ell
There's also generally a different sound to each. Classic rock has much warmer, lower gain guitar sounds. But that's expected with the age difference.

Well, the lower gain is perhaps also associated with the equipment available.
They didn't have the crushing overdrive of the Marshall MG series amplifiers back then.
Classic Rock:Classic Rock had solos or at least ones that were good. The music wasn't faked by pretty boys. And more importantly The Jonas Brothers and Fallout Boy have nothing to do with it.
Quote by Les Paul Ell

Yeah, a lot of classic rock stuff is also reverby.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Classixc rock was and is great, modern rock sucks, obvious really lol.

Seriosuly thouhg, 1950-1990 or so is classic rock, Guns and roses being arguably the least real classic rock band.

A few notable classic rock bands would be
Sabbath (more classic metal)
LED ZEPPELIN
Santana
Cream
Hendrix
Blue Oyster Cult
Lynryd Skynrd
Allman Brothers
Mountain
Deep Purple
Heart (pre-power ballads)

And many more

New band that are good are the Racontuers, and there are a few other good new bands, many of them more "underground: thanmainstream or radio freindly.

Possibly ELO and T Rex, unsless you couns them more as pop rock
Quote by titsmcgee852
No, it will be classified as "shit" as it is at the moment.

+1
LMFAO
Quote by MightyAl
Well, the lower gain is perhaps also associated with the equipment available.
They didn't have the crushing overdrive of the Marshall MG series amplifiers back then.

I know. Poor chaps had to make do with junk like Plexi's, Hiwatt's and Orange amps. My heart goes out to every one who's never plugged into an MG.

EDIT:
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Classixc rock was and is great, modern rock sucks, obvious really lol.

Seriosuly thouhg, 1950-1990 or so is classic rock, Guns and roses being arguably the least real classic rock band.

A few notable classic rock bands would be
Sabbath (more classic metal)
LED ZEPPELIN
Santana
Cream
Hendrix
Blue Oyster Cult
Lynryd Skynrd
Allman Brothers
Mountain
Deep Purple
Heart (pre-power ballads)

And many more

New band that are good are the Racontuers, and there are a few other good new bands, many of them more "underground: thanmainstream or radio freindly.

Possibly ELO and T Rex, unsless you couns them more as pop rock

+ AC/DC and Aerosmith
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I know. Poor chaps had to make do with junk like Plexi's, Hiwatt's and Orange amps. My heart goes out to every one who's never plugged into an MG.

EDIT:

+ AC/DC and Aerosmith

Damn how could i forget ACDC!

Not big on aerosmith, souind too muchn like an american version of the rolling stones, but they are also classic rock, as are the steons come to think of it.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Damn how could i forget ACDC!

Not big on aerosmith, souind too muchn like an american version of the rolling stones, but they are also classic rock, as are the steons come to think of it.

oh dear! I didn't notice that you left out the Stones till you mentioned it. Aerosmith's early stuff is pretty much the model classic rock sound to me, they're one of the best.
you forgot The Who too!
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Nothing, they both suck.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Classic Rock got lower quality music videos as opposed to Mordern Rock

Only thing not mentioned..... I think?
Classic Rock = good
Modern Rock = **** (Well, maybe except for a couple of things... Wait... Nvm)
It's a simple as that!
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Is this a serious question?
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Classic rock (way I think of it anyway) is from Chuck berry through to Aersomith and (at a pinch) guns N' Roses. Modern rock is Nirvana Onwards. Also, ain't modern rock essentially what got classed as 'Alternative'? Don't quote me on that...
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Les Paul Ell
oh dear! I didn't notice that you left out the Stones till you mentioned it. Aerosmith's early stuff is pretty much the model classic rock sound to me, they're one of the best.

Fair enouhg as I said not one of my favourites but thats msuic i guess.

Yeah forgetting the stonwe was bad, and the Who, problem is there were so many good and great bands then, it is easy to leave some off , not cuase they were forgetable, byut just there were so many!
Quote by GibsonVdude
you forgot The Who too!

Yeah I know my bad, plus the sex pistols and ramones if you want to count punk as part of it as well! And I forgot the doors, and Jefferson Airplane, and the Kinks!

On the more pop side also the Police, The Beatles, the Sweet, Meatloaf, Elton John and Billy Joel.
In one word: TALENT! (modern rock bands have none!)

*Flamesheild*
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Modern rock is Alternative rock. It is ****.
Classic Rock is Rock N Roll. It is great.

Alt rock, very little solos or technical endevours, fairly plain lyrics dealing with whinny subjects and nothing really interesting. Most of them at least.

Classic Rock. Lots of solos, more technical endevour then Alt ****. Lyrics are fairly widespread from love to war, sadness to partying.

Classic Rock is just a blanket terms for real rock n roll. For example, The Darkness, although from 2000, are Rock n Roll, Foofighers are Alternative rock thus the modern term. You wouldn't put TD under Modern rock, more people would say they are classic rock becuase they have that same sound.
'classic rock' is derived from the blues. listen to the likes of BB king/Chuck berry and then listen to clapton/page, there's so much influence there

In my opinion modern rock is much more macho and balls-ier and uses more effects and power chords (80's, 90's)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Jeez, what's with all the people hating on modern stuff?

By now the difference between classic and modern rock should be obvious.

And you misspelled "classic".
Quote by true_bacon22
Modern rock is Alternative rock. It is ****.
Classic Rock is Rock N Roll. It is great.

Alt rock, very little solos or technical endevours, fairly plain lyrics dealing with whinny subjects and nothing really interesting. Most of them at least.

Classic Rock. Lots of solos, more technical endevour then Alt ****. Lyrics are fairly widespread from love to war, sadness to partying.

Classic Rock is just a blanket terms for real rock n roll. For example, The Darkness, although from 2000, are Rock n Roll, Foofighers are Alternative rock thus the modern term. You wouldn't put TD under Modern rock, more people would say they are classic rock becuase they have that same sound.
Wrong. Bands that do that are POP bands.
Quiet you group of no good hippies, it's classic rock if it's a classic song. Therefore, Man in the Box, Rooster, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Alive, etc are classic rock songs.

/Thread.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Wrong. Bands that do that are POP bands.

Explain Prince, the Beatles, and Pearl Jam.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2