Page 1 of 2
i know i souldnt post this in the guitar thread so ill post it here. which are better? electric or acoustic. i dunno what to get.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Electric drums are probably better to learn on because they don't make as much noise. They take up less space as well. Also beginner drum kits sound horrible.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Uhm, maybe you should tell us more information.

Do you want to play loud? Or should it be neighbour friendly?
what kind of music do you want to play?
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Acoustic. Electrics just don't feel right, not enough bounce, sounds wierd unless you get a verry expensize kit etc.
But if you live in an apartment and don't want any loud noises you can get a decent yamaha electric kit for around $600-$1000USD
there is no quote in this box
get a electric. till you've improved quite alot, then get a good acoustic set.
yet its more hardcore to play on an acoustic, the electric has the advantage of taking far less space than the other ones and the volume may be adjusted, which is very useful.as the user above said, i think begginer's cheap drums would sound ****ier and i wouldnt reccomend buying anything expensive till you dont know whether you like it or not
electric is basically only for practising, i mean u cant just say what is best cause it depends.

do u have much space
can u make as much noize as u want

if i was a beginner i would start on acoustic drums cause they feel most real.

but the yamaha el sets are also fine and cheap
break on through
Acoustic..
You learn more..
Like controlling dynamics and stuff..
And I reckon has a more synthetic feel to it
Quote by Birchall17
Electric drums are probably better to learn on because they don't make as much noise. They take up less space as well. Also beginner drum kits sound horrible.

Although all Electric drumkits sound like ****!! get an Accustic also whats your price range?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
get an acoustic when starting out, electric kits are ok for silent practice, and certain genres f music, but good velocity and pressure sensitive ones (this is essential for learning properly) cost a crapload.

Quote by gunners fan
Although all Electric drumkits sound like ****!!

no they don't, a lot of them don't really sound "real" but that synthetic sound is great for certain applications.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 20, 2009,
accoustic no doubt.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
I have an electric kit, i'd prefer acoustic because I think they just feel/sound better overall. But alas, I have no room
if you get a cheap electric kit you'd be better off building your own kit out of pots and pans.

seriously, if volume isn't an issue, get a cheap acoustic.
electric first, less noise more practise time. there are elements like hi hat pedal which make it harder but the drums are closer together. i played electo drums for 3 months and went back to acoustic and was like **** this is easy they are so big!
Quote by DegaMeth
electric first, less noise more practise time. there are elements like hi hat pedal which make it harder but the drums are closer together. i played electo drums for 3 months and went back to acoustic and was like **** this is easy they are so big!

I have to disagree with this, cheap electric kits have pretty much no dynamic control, nor do they have multiple zones, both of these things are pretty important when learning.

Last.fm
Just don't get a CB kit whatever you do, their horrible sounding and the cymbals are an absolute joke. You'll probably need to spend about £600 including cymbals to get something that will last a while, unless you go second hand.

A half decent electric kit will cost you a lot more than a half decent acoustic one
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
other band members will love you if you have an electric. You will be able to turn down the volume, and then everyone can play a bit quieter and not have their ears ringing at the end of practises
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Your post is too vague so we can only offer a vague answer.

Acoustic kits have the advantages that they feel better to play on, you can learn to control dynamics and velocities in hitting the drums for different applications in music, they generally sound alot better. But they are loud and can take up space.

Electric kits have the advantage that they are quiet, you can practice them using headphones, they take up less space.
But they never sound or feel like the real thing, and in order to get a quality electric you'd have to fork out alot of money for them, higher end ones are £4k+(about $6-$8k, I don't know what the exhange rate us nowadays).
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by eggo_boi_15

Electric kits have the advantage that they are quiet, you can practice them using headphones, they take up less space.
But they never sound or feel like the real thing, and in order to get a quality electric you'd have to fork out alot of money for them, higher end ones are £4k+(about $6-$8k, I don't know what the exhange rate us nowadays).

High end electric kits start at a about $4k here as well, and you forgot to mention that they are pretty much indispensable if you want to do any sort of electronic music without sequencing.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
High end electric kits start at a about $4k here as well, and you forgot to mention that they are pretty much indispensable if you want to do any sort of electronic music without sequencing.

oh, my bad
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

sorry it took me hours to get back on, i made the original post at school..

anyway

it should be neighbor friendly i guess, but i would get silencer pads. but that probably makes it sound ****. and i dont have much space.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

acoustic.

it shouldn't even be a question.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by angusfan16
Acoustic. I like to bang on wood.

that's what she said!!!!
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Electric kits are quieter ! And that's a plus cause you get to practise with minimal noise concerns. But if you want an electric kit that sounds as good as an acoustic and feels good then you're going to spend a lot of money !!!

What do you need it for? It it's gigging then i'd suggest acoustic. Unless you want to go electric. You can get decent cheap kits but don't expect too much. And another plus with electric is the ease of recording.

But the feel and presence of an acoustic is a whole another thing.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
instrument

cwutididthar
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

I could kick you in the stomach
And catch you unawares
I could swear to God you accidentally
Fell that flight of stairs
ACOUSTIC. with electrics you have to pay a lot just to get one that sounds remotely like a real drum set.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Silver-spear94
sorry it took me hours to get back on, i made the original post at school..

anyway

it should be neighbor friendly i guess, but i would get silencer pads. but that probably makes it sound ****. and i dont have much space.

get the acoustic. electrics suck ass. it's worth the room it takes up, and the noise it makes.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Electric sound horrible compare to acoustic but they are cheaper and you can control the volume.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Jan 20, 2009,
acoustic most deff FTW
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
After playing in a band on both an electric and acoustic set, I have to say I prefer electric. There's so much more control over everything from the sound of the drums to the volume (one problem I have a lot with acoustic sets is they're just too loud).

Just ask the Liars, electric drums+guitar effects=
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
acoustic

theres always keyboards/synths and drum machines to do more elctronic based stuff
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Why choose? You could have a half acoustic, half electric kit. How awesome would that be? You'd be able to do synthy stuff or realistic stuff. In the same song.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by BlackandSilver
Why choose? You could have a half acoustic, half electric kit. How awesome would that be? You'd be able to do synthy stuff or realistic stuff. In the same song.

alot of drummers do that with triggers
Page 1 of 2