Ok so I'm trying to take a piece of music and distinguish the theory behind it. I'm using Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maidon (cover) by Machine Head here are the tabs couldn't find the ones by Machine head so this is from the Original song by Iron Maiden.

I'm just looking at this particular piece

RIFF A: with RHYTHM 1
|---------------------------------|-------------------------------|
|--14b16--14--12--11h12-11--9--11-|-14b16--14--12--11h12-11--9--8-|

Now I notice that there are only 2 sharps in this piece D# on the 8th fret and F# on the 11th fret. So That tells me this lick is not in the key of C D G or A because these keys don't contain a D#. So now I'm thinking ok maybe it's in the key of E B or F#, but now I'm stuck because all of these keys contain a G# and the G note is not sharpened here?

use the for tabs
Quote by rebel624
Ok so I'm trying to take a piece of music and distinguish the theory behind it. I'm using Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maidon (cover) by Machine Head here are the tabs couldn't find the ones by Machine head so this is from the Original song by Iron Maiden.

I'm just looking at this particular piece

RIFF A: with RHYTHM 1

Now I notice that there are only 2 sharps in this piece D# on the 8th fret and F# on the 11th fret. So That tells me this lick is not in the key of C D G or A because these keys don't contain a D#. So now I'm thinking ok maybe it's in the key of E B or F#, but now I'm stuck because all of these keys contain a G# and the G note is not sharpened here?

It's in E Minor, but they use the D# from E Harmonic Minor too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'd say this lick is in D... even though the D# doesn't fit the D major scale, all other notes do (key of D major: D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#). I don't know how the song continues but there might be a key change or something. It's also not uncommon to use out of key notes...
On second thought, I agree with Shinozoku on the lick being in E minor (scale: e f# g a b c d)
Quote by szekelymihai

use the for tabs

Man thankyou for this!!!! Ive been typing tabs in here then trying to make them look correct takes so much time this is GOD SENT!

Ok so if I locate Em contains only 1# though right?
Quote by wibber
On second thought, I agree with Shinozoku on the lick being in E minor (scale: e f# g a b c d)

Wibber I was originally thinking D to, but it just didn't sound right to me although I'd like to know your reasoning behind your agreement with Em.

A Harmonic minor includes a b3 and b6 so I could understand the therefor it would obtain a Gb or F# which it does but then it would not affect the D because the 6th note in the scale of Em is C.
Last edited by rebel624 at Jan 20, 2009,
Well I got confused at first because I only looked at the notes, and assumed D major was a good fit because all notes fit the scale except the D#. After reading Shino's post I realised he was right: the riff is (from a theoretical point of view) a combination of the E minor scale (E-F#-G-A-B-C-D) and the E harmonic minor scale (E-F#-G-A-B-C-D#).

Also try playing this riff over a D major chord and then over an E minor chord and listen what sounds best. In my opinion it sounds better over an E minor chord.
You can't really ascertain anything from such a small snippet of so few notes and you certainly can't tell if there's sharps or in there, without knowing the context they could just as likely be flats. You need to consider the chord progression first, then the melody line...and one look at the chords is enough to tell you that the song's in the key of E minor, therefore the melody line is using the E minor scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 20, 2009,
excuse my last post I see where I was wrong!! I hate how one mistake can lead to such confusion. I was basing the Em scale on the Gmajor scale considering Em is relative to Gmajor, instead of looking at the Emajor scale with a flat 3rd and 6th. Applying the harmonic formula to the scale E F# G# A B C# D# matches these notes perfectly E F# G A B C D#. Thanks guys. I actually understand that to the fullest first time I've looked at something and understood the theory behind it.
Your mistake was far more fundamental than that....you simply didn't look at the chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com