How do you do these? I'm new and all I keep getting as an answer is to fade the note, but how? I also got this, "Lay your finger on the fret gently and you should get a 'chucka chucka' noise", seriously what?
I need to learn these for Smells Like Teen Spirit has them. By the way, when they are just X's, do you just hit the string open?
It doesn't say :
-----3x-3x-3x
it is just :
-----x-
-----x-
-----x-

EDIT:
Okay, I was looking on youtube and found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyEXzQog9gs&feature=related (Sorry if posted links isn't aloud) it kinda helped. But anyways, is what he's doing in that video X notes? I don't have a acoustic right now and am tryin' to learn it with an elctric so will this lesson help me? It's the best lesson I could find.
Last edited by RAAAGE at Jan 20, 2009,
X means its a dead note - you mute the string and pluck it, so it makes a percussive noise rather than ringing out
The X stands for muted strings. lay your finger across the strings but don't actually fret any notes then strum your strings. That should do it
Place your left hand lightly on the strings somewhere on the neck, just enough to prevent the strings from ringing open but not enough to actually fret anything, then pick/strum the indicated strings. You should get a crunchy-clicky sound.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by CarpUK
Place your left hand lightly on the strings somewhere on the neck, just enough to prevent the strings from ringing open but not enough to actually fret anything, then pick/strum the indicated strings. You should get a crunchy-clicky sound.

Just gotta make sure you're not playing on a harmonious fret .
Look it up on youtube, but make sure to look up STRING muting, not palm muting.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Aznargo
Just gotta make sure you're not playing on a harmonious fret .

Nothing wrong with pleasent surprises.

That said, as long as there's more than one finger in use, it's never going to hit a harmonic.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.