Ok, so heres how it is. At school in recording class we have these terrible little tube amps that have verry little overdrive/distortion. I dont know what there called, but we also have some Behringer preamps. So would i be able to plug my guitar into the preamp, and then plug the preamp into the input on the amp to get it more overdriven? IS this possible without a big explosion? any other things i could do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
i think you should do it and not listen the the nerd who posted before me. he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
They're only joking. OFCOURSE you can plug it in, it's safe.

Hehehehehe.
punk&metal wrote:

why would they star in a movie making fun of themselves

Subject: Spinal Tap.

Chill!
Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

youre kidding right?

"thermionic VACUUM tube" mean nothing to you? theres nothing inside a tube
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by GODhimself37
i think you should do it and not listen the the nerd who posted before me. he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about

It's obvious you have no ****ing clue what a joke is
Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast.

Really?!

That is awesome, cause I have a few extra tubes laying around and my girlfriends parents are really annoying...
Quote by Ben12321
Ok, so heres how it is. At school in recording class we have these terrible little tube amps that have verry little overdrive/distortion. I dont know what there called, but we also have some Behringer preamps. So would i be able to plug my guitar into the preamp, and then plug the preamp into the input on the amp to get it more overdriven? IS this possible without a big explosion? any other things i could do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

It won't make a big explosion, just a kind of popping noise followed by the smell of burning and ultimately silence.

Just buy a distortion pedal
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

youre kidding right?

"thermionic VACUUM tube" mean nothing to you? theres nothing inside a tube

Nope, not kidding

Long before vacuum tubes were discovered as electronic devices, the blue glow of "not so clean" vacuum was discovered automatically. All you need is not so good vacuum, with a very tiny fraction of air, and the tube is gets conducting at high voltage, emitting bright pink light. These were the "Geisler" tubes, and soon these were used in all kind of variations. The discoverer of the so called Geissler effect, had no idea what caused it. You must imagine the days where electricity was just discovered, and street lamps had candles in it. The use of those tubes was only for impressing people with the magic of electricity . Later they made medical lamps of it. Though it didn't cure any disease at all, even real medical doctors were offering fake treatments with it. (Sounds familiar somehow)
The Geissler tube is made of a glass cylinder with an electrode at each end. They are vacuumed, but contain a very minor fraction of gas such as neon, argon, or air. Also conductive liquids or minerals can be used. When a high voltage is applied to the terminals, an electrical current flows through the tube. The effect that takes place is the following. Assume an electron gets freed from a gas molecule. Now the ion (+) goes to the negative electrode, and the electron (-) to the positive electrode. Since the weight of one ion is very little, it will accelerate very much and will hit the electrode with a lot of energy. On the way to the electrode it will hit on other gas molecules, and will free some electrons from those as well. The recombining ions + electrons will emit a frequency by the formula F = E / h. Where E = the recombining energy, which is a constant of the used gas. The factor H is also constant, so the frequency (spectral line) is always the same. Some gasses emit a frequency in the visible light range. Some can be in the invisible range. The light will be a characteristic of the material contained within the tube and will be composed of one or more narrow spectral lines.

Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by zachman5150
*really long explanation*

Score one for zachman
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
It won't make a big explosion, just a kind of popping noise followed by the smell of burning and ultimately silence.

Just buy a distortion pedal

I have no intention of trying this mostly because I don't have a reason to, but wouldn't plugging a preamp into the front-end of a guitar amp do the same thing as an overdrive or boost pedal?

It may not sound good but since the signal is going to come out of the preamp at a low level it shouldn't do any more damage than a boost pedal or something similar would it? Now plugging the output of a power amp into another amp will definitely blow something up but a preamp I would think should be safe.
Last edited by Demigawd at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Demigawd
I have no intention of trying this mostly because I don't have a reason to, but wouldn't plugging a preamp into the front-end of a guitar amp do the same thing as an overdrive or boost pedal?

Yes, though it's a line level signal not an instrument level signal like your guitars pickups going into the front of an amp.

Quote by Demigawd
It may not sound good but since the signal is going to come out of the preamp at a low level it shouldn't do any more damage than a boost pedal or something similar would it? Now plugging the output of a power amp into another amp will definitely blow something up but a preamp I would think should be safe.

The standard way that this is done is via a power amp via the power amp's inputs, an effects loop return or poweramp in jack on a combo.
Quote by zachman5150
Nope, not kidding

Long before vacuum tubes were discovered as electronic devices, the blue glow of "not so clean" vacuum was discovered automatically. All you need is not so good vacuum, with a very tiny fraction of air, and the tube is gets conducting at high voltage, emitting bright pink light. These were the "Geisler" tubes, and soon these were used in all kind of variations. The discoverer of the so called Geissler effect, had no idea what caused it. You must imagine the days where electricity was just discovered, and street lamps had candles in it. The use of those tubes was only for impressing people with the magic of electricity . Later they made medical lamps of it. Though it didn't cure any disease at all, even real medical doctors were offering fake treatments with it. (Sounds familiar somehow)
The Geissler tube is made of a glass cylinder with an electrode at each end. They are vacuumed, but contain a very minor fraction of gas such as neon, argon, or air. Also conductive liquids or minerals can be used. When a high voltage is applied to the terminals, an electrical current flows through the tube. The effect that takes place is the following. Assume an electron gets freed from a gas molecule. Now the ion (+) goes to the negative electrode, and the electron (-) to the positive electrode. Since the weight of one ion is very little, it will accelerate very much and will hit the electrode with a lot of energy. On the way to the electrode it will hit on other gas molecules, and will free some electrons from those as well. The recombining ions + electrons will emit a frequency by the formula F = E / h. Where E = the recombining energy, which is a constant of the used gas. The factor H is also constant, so the frequency (spectral line) is always the same. Some gasses emit a frequency in the visible light range. Some can be in the invisible range. The light will be a characteristic of the material contained within the tube and will be composed of one or more narrow spectral lines.

a few points:

1) http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/blueglow/blueglow.htm

well done for copypasta-ing

2) how does that explain uranium in a tube? 0_o

3) i can copypasta too

Quote by internet
The vacuum inside the envelope must be as perfect, or "hard", as possible. Any gas atoms remaining might be ionized at operating voltages, and will conduct electricity between the elements in an uncontrolled manner. This can lead to erratic operation or even catastrophic destruction of the tube and associated circuitry. Unabsorbed free air sometimes ionizes and becomes visible as a pink-purple glow discharge between the tube elements.
To prevent any remaining gases from remaining in a free state in the tube, modern tubes are constructed with "getters", which are usually small, circular troughs filled with metals that oxidize quickly, with barium being the most common. While the tube envelope is being evacuated, the internal parts except the getter are heated by RF induction heating to extract any remaining gases from the metal. The tube is then sealed and the getter is heated to a high temperature, again by radio frequency induction heating. This causes the material to evaporate, absorbing/reacting with any residual gases and usually leaving a silver-colored metallic deposit on the inside of the envelope of the tube. The getter continues to absorb any gas molecules that leak into the tube during its working life. If a tube develops a crack in the envelope, this deposit turns a white color when it reacts with atmospheric oxygen. Large transmitting and specialized tubes often use more exotic getter materials, such as zirconium. Early gettered tubes used phosphorus based getters and these tubes are easily identifiable, as the phosphorus leaves a characteristic orange or rainbow deposit on the glass. The use of phosphorus was short-lived and was quickly replaced by the superior barium getters. Unlike the barium getters, the phosphorus did not absorb any further gases once it had fired.

3) i dare you, i actually dare you to go into this thread and actually help someone. instead of just posting whenever someone is wrong or you feel a need to excercise the ctrl+c function

4)
Quote by stratman_13

Score one for zachman

noone likes a kiss arse
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
a few points:

1) http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/blueglow/blueglow.htm

well done for copypasta-ing

2) how does that explain uranium in a tube? 0_o

3) i can copypasta too

Um ya, the info I posted was correct. I'm not interested in arguing the merits of correcting misinformation, that you or anyone else puts out there. I felt it needed to be done, since you come off as an expert/authority on the subject, and were wrong. Re: copy/pasting info: There is a reason researchers, engineers etc... have access to research material--because it's unneccessary to type a novel when trying to access info to get a point across.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
3) i dare you, i actually dare you to go into this thread and actually help someone. instead of just posting whenever someone is wrong or you feel a need to excercise the ctrl+c function

Done... And please refer right here to post 16, re: helping-- My intention was to help ALL who read your misinformation/incorrect information to seek clarification w/ facts.

4)

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
noone likes a kiss arse

Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by zachman5150
*rant*

???

*re reads thread*

some guy: theres gas in a tube

me: there isnt

you: before vacuum tubes they made tubes with gas in

ah yes, how wrong i was
Quote by Demigawd

Thats what im talking about. Il try it tomoro, and if explodes il run away and place the blame on someone elce, and if that doesnt work, il tell the teacher some guy on the internet told me to
Yeah, let's all just whip 'em out and see who can piss the farthest.

OT: Don't plug the preamp into the amp.
Quote by Ben12321
Thats what im talking about. Il try it tomoro, and if explodes il run away and place the blame on someone elce, and if that doesnt work, il tell the teacher some guy on the internet told me to

Do not do it.

Really. I'd recommend against doing preamp into preamp into power amp.

If you have an fx in on the tube amps, then you can run the beringer (why? ) into the fx in.

Don't do it though.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
....i love how people were honestly argueing over whether or not uranium was in guitar amp tubes
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
hey guys do i have to wear gloves if a tube breaks? i don't want to be radioactive.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
hey guys do i have to wear gloves if a tube breaks? i don't want to be radioactive.

You're gonna have to live in the bunker, son.
Quote by bored_maniac33
....i love how people were honestly argueing over whether or not uranium was in guitar amp tubes

If I find room, that's going in the sig...

TS: No, there is not uranium in tubes. I don't see how that came up, but no. As far as hooking up Guitar-->preamp-->amp... I wouldn't do it. That's running two preamps and a power amp, and would probably blow something. So don't do it.
Look, I cant be bothered to reread this whole thread right now, but I just want to know if I throw a couple of tubes at my girlfriends parents if they will explode into a firey ball of toxic waste?...
Quote by Dizeaz2112
If I find room, that's going in the sig...

TS: No, there is not uranium in tubes. I don't see how that came up, but no. As far as hooking up Guitar-->preamp-->amp... I wouldn't do it. That's running two preamps and a power amp, and would probably blow something. So don't do it.

YAY! i could have been sigged if you had room!! woot!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
YAY! i could have been sigged if you had room!! woot!

Yeah, well... I can't find room, and I quite like my current sig. A moment of silence for what could've been...

I'm crying a little inside at this thread. It breaks my heart.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
first of all, just bring an effect pedal in, second, vacuum tube means theres NOTHING in it, and if there were uranium in it, youd die next to the amp while playing just from radiation, and there wouldnt nearly be enough for a nuclear explosion which would require enough uranium to be at lease critical mass which i think is 1 kg.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
first of all, just bring an effect pedal in, second, vacuum tube means theres NOTHING in it, and if there were uranium in it, youd die next to the amp while playing just from radiation, and there wouldnt nearly be enough for a nuclear explosion which would require enough uranium to be at lease critical mass which i think is 1 kg.

It's okay bud. It's all been discussed and dealt with.

And Darkflame, I am now commandeering a portion of your sig to put bored_maniac's statement there.
*reads thread*

So who wants donuts?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
*reads thread*

So who wants donuts?

You could stick a radioactive tube in the middle!
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Linqua5150

This thread has basically descended into spam anyway... so I'll add my little bit of disapproval in here too!

No. You wouldn't "die next to the amp," radiation is a slow poison, not an insta-kill (BOOM HEADSHOT) style.

To make my post even remotely helpful...

If the amp had an FX loop going guitar > amp > FX Send: Behringer > amp; should all be ok right...? At that point it's all line level once the second preamp comes into play.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Daneeka

I wasn't serious.

******A Console Cowboy****** 1