Hello there

I didnt know what to name the thread,nor if their is such thing as ''Normal'' Action.

Anyways,few days ago i changed strings and replaced my saddle as it was a bit worn out,and i had a spare saddle wich i filled down to the same size as the old one

Well to me it looked pretty close to it could have been a little higher.
Before i got a bit of fret buzz when i played open E a bit rough,Wich i dont get now after i changed saddle.

But paranoid as iam ,iam not sure if this action is ''normal'',on the first Frett of E string i can put a .60mm pick whit a snug fitunder it ,and on the 12th fret the strings hangs 4mm up.

Oh yeah it's an Steel strung acoustic.
I
s this an alright action?
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I'd say that might be a tad high at the 12th fret, but that's pretty low at the first fret. It's not high enough to worry about though in my opinion.
4mm under the low E string at the 12th fret might not be too bad, but if it's that distance under the high E, then it'd be drastic, and playability up high on the neck would suffer. You didn't specify which E string you were measuring. Normally, action measurments are taken at 4 places on the neck. Under the high and low E strings at the 1st fret, and again under those same strings but at the 12th fret. Then a luthier or tech can make a decision as to what to adjust to acheive good action.
Sounds a bit high action at the 12th fret, if it is a high E string.
A soon to be retired guitarmaker.
I meant The Thick E string,and i measured that at the 12th fret and it turns out to be 4mm, And on the Thinnest (High E) it's 3mm.

My guitar is an Cort AD-850
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Nexium at Jan 21, 2009,
are you measuring from the top of the fretwire to the bottom of the string?
Quote by jimtaka
are you measuring from the top of the fretwire to the bottom of the string?

Oh man i think ive measured wrong,i measured from the fret to the top of the string.

And not from the fret and ''under'' the string.

In that case the it's 3mm on the Low-E
(i doubble checked this by allso putting Three 1mm picks under it)

And on the Hight-E it's 2mm.
Quote by KingJak236

Quote by Kensai
Quote by jimtaka
That's not bad at all then

Right on jim. Another satisfied customer. NEXT!