I am going to get a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I will then have some money to spend on a pedal or 2. What pedals should I get. I will have somewhere between $100 and $200. I was thinking of the Zoom G2 for $140 or would I be fine with the effects that the Vypyr has?

or would I be better off getting something else like a guitar hardcase or a flying v Ukelele :P

I play everything except blues but I mainly play metal.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
You would be better investing the money into something else. Sense it's a modelling amp you don't need pedals, plus pedals don't work good with modeling amps. Maybe invest the extra $100-$200 and get the upgrade Vyper 75 watt or go for a cheap used tube amp. Say VK, deville, Blackstar, Hot rod, B-52, tube amps are the way to go. Be worth it in the long run
All of those tube amps would be over $1000. Australia you see?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Think of it this way would you rather invest in a boat load of mediocore equipment or invest in one or two good equipment. I would say the later for reason being the more mediocore equipment you have, them ore likely it will leave you unsatisfied and back to square one.
I would get better stuff but that would involve waiting about a year to get a new amp.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
If you'd buy something like a Zoom G2 in addition to the Vypyr then you would indeed mostly just get more of the same. You should try planning your purchases, and buy everything with a purpose in mind.

I wouldn't buy two such "big" pieces of gear at once (in the way they can change your sound a lot). Play the amp, and once you know what you want next (if anything) then buy a piece of gear that's made to do exactly what you want, and not something random.

If that's the amp that you think you want, then get it. Personally I would use both the money you have set aside for the Vypyr and the G2 and buy only one good amp with it.
What is a good amp I can get for $500-600 (600 is an absolute max and it would not be likely that I can even get that much. that is better then the Vypyr 30.

I was thinking of an Epiphone Valve junior but that is $300 and then I only have $200 for pedals which can't get me much.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Don't worry so much about pedals. Worry about learning to play the guitar well before you start to mess around with effects. If you can't make yourself sound good with nothing but a guitar and an amp, the rest isn't going to matter.

If you want to get a hi-gain amplifier, at your price range, a modeling amp will probably be the best bet. So either a Vypyr 75 or a Roland Cube 60. On the tube side, a used Valveking and a Bad Monkey might work.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
A NEW valveking here is $900 and for a 212 it is $1200. No idea what a bad monkey is. There are basically no used amps in AUS and buying from ebay is not an option and craigslist is dead.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Vypyr + 2 good pedals = enough money to buy a good used tube combo.
Even if you have to wait a couple months, its well well well well well worth the wait.
JUST WAIT!
What is the point of waiting a couple of months. I never said 2 good pedals. I have $500 which is not enough for a good amp.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
The point is that patience pays off. Stop being so impatient thinking you have to have an amp right now when you have a perfectly fine practice amp now.

Besides, $500 AU is $325 US.
Blackheart BH5-112 5W 1x12 Little Giant Tube Combo Amp
$349 US or $537 AU
B-52 AT-112 60-Watt 1x12" Tube Combo Amp
$359 US or $552 AU

Not that big of a stretch.

In the end, it's your money, buy what you want. We're only offering advice, and don't really care if you waste your money on junk.
I also have to pay for shipping, get an adaptor that is US in AUS out for the power cord and it wont be worth it. None of those amps exist in Australia.

Also the B-52 is $744 at it's cheapest on ebay.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by _Sanitarium_
Besides, $500 AU is $325 US.

Fail. You cannot convert USD to AUD (or EUR or any other currency) when comparing prices on products in the US to places where we pay taxes.

To OP:
I think the Vypyr would be a decent option for you at the price and for what you'd use it for. Others to look at would be ones such as the Roland Cube 30X, and the Vox AD15VT-XL.

I'm not sure what the Fender XD amps (Vibro Champ XD and Super Champ XD) cost, but these are also two really nice amps. If it was me, I'd probably save up a bit and go for the Super Champ XD, and as I wrote earlier, no pedals to start with.
Last edited by whoismilan at Jan 21, 2009,