Hi, i jz bought an Epi Valve Junior, my first tube amp! anayway, i think i kinda read somewhere about using other type of cable for the one between the amp head and the cab. non-insulated cable or sumthng.. how true is it? is it safe using just normal guitar cables?

thanx in advance
use a proper speaker cable

using normal guitar cables can damage an amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Normal instrument cable will work, but it will probably melt if you turn up the volume. Use a speaker cable if you can.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
do NOT use instrument cable

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by adambauman31
Just shell out a few bucks for a speaker cable. It's not worth the risk.

+1
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by adambauman31
Just shell out a few bucks for a speaker cable. It's not worth the risk.

+2
ok! i'm off to a guitar store first thng in the morning!
thanx u guys!

this is definitely a HAVEN for guitarists!
i juz saw a spare cable laying around my house that i used for my hifi set. More spefically as RCA cable. is it ok? i juz need to solder the plug heads.

or is the 'speaker cable' u guys are talking about is the same as the one that's connecting between the speaker and a/v receiver of a home theater?
Quote by had_hc
i juz saw a spare cable laying around my house that i used for my hifi set. More spefically as RCA cable. is it ok? i juz need to solder the plug heads.

or is the 'speaker cable' u guys are talking about is the same as the one that's connecting between the speaker and a/v receiver of a home theater?

So you know how to solder, have the tools to do so, have internet access and the ability to search google--but are confused as to what the difference between instrument cable and speaker cable is, and why one is used instead of the other?

Odd
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,

thats what we're on about

notice how thick it is, it's not going to break internally and kill your amp.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
you use speaker cables, they're thinker and won't melt, normal guitar cables will melt, and when they melt, it'll damage your amp head, if not destroy it v.v
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by FNAFJ
you use speaker cables, they're thinker and won't melt, normal guitar cables will melt, and when they melt, it'll damage your amp head, if not destroy it v.v

Because guitar cables are shielded, and speaker cables aren't. Not necessarily thicker re: speaker cable's gauge you can get them (Guitar and speaker cable) in the same gauges.

The key difference is one is shielded and one isn't.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,