So ive heard this is doable, and am deciding to experiment if possible.
Supposedly so ive heard the bass frequencies cannot damage the amp itself, but only the actual speaker cones, so as long as im using bass speakers the amp should handle it fine?

At the moment i have my 3 channel Mesa Dual Rectifier going into a standard guitar marshal 2x123 cabinet.

My plan is to possibly invest in a couple of different bass cabinets, and use these for both guitar and bass applications, im thinking of a 1x15 and maybe 2x10. My thinking being that this will cover both low frequencies and high ones well for bass, and work well for guitar too (as im using 7 strings and dropped tunings low end is distinctly important)

So questions are:

firstly is bass > guitar amp > bass cab going to work?

secondly is guitar > amp > bass cabs going to sound good/better than standard guitar cabs?

and thirdly what are my best bets for cabinets, at moment no budget set in place but this is a long term aim and possibly thinking around the £1000 range over the next year
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux

So questions are:

firstly is bass > guitar amp > bass cab going to work?

secondly is guitar > amp > bass cabs going to sound good/better than standard guitar cabs?

and thirdly what are my best bets for cabinets, at moment no budget set in place but this is a long term aim and possibly thinking around the £1000 range over the next year

First - yes it should work from what I understand.
Second - Yes that's fine, I've never tried it but you are ok.
Third - I'm not sure of the outcome in terms of tone because I have not done these things. I'd go cheap and buy used stuff to play around/experiment with for this so whatever is available. Others will be able to tell you what you would lose or gain tone wise from this experiment.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm not an expert on the subject but wouldn't you need some sort of EQ pedal for the bass? Considering the amps EQ will be set up for the low, mids and trebles of a guitar, it would have little/no/strange effects on a bass right?
Quote by iamthejoker
I'm not an expert on the subject but wouldn't you need some sort of EQ pedal for the bass? Considering the amps EQ will be set up for the low, mids and trebles of a guitar, it would have little/no/strange effects on a bass right?

I was always under the impression that the low/mid/high eq frequency ranges are the same for bass as they are for guitar, need confirmation on that though... anyone?
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
I personally don't see what it would hurt, but I have heard that the frequencies produced by a bass will actually damage the guitar amp itself, not just the speakers. I'm no expert on the subject - I'm only relaying things that I've heard.
Quote by chimpinatux
I was always under the impression that the low/mid/high eq frequency ranges are the same for bass as they are for guitar, need confirmation on that though... anyone?

I thought the whole point of a bass was that the frequencies are much lower than on a guitar.

That said, I have almost zero real understanding of how these things work and am just throwing out ideas.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I personally don't see what it would hurt, but I have heard that the frequencies produced by a bass will actually damage the guitar amp itself, not just the speakers. I'm no expert on the subject - I'm only relaying things that I've heard.

Well im currently 90% sure it should be harmless but just checking... really dont want to blow a £2000 head
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy