it's hard to make an amp sound "better" but you could tighten it up with an Ibanez TS9 or another overdrive of the sort.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
A little reverb can do miracles, don't know if there's reverb on the amp. Chorus also works well on you clean sound and you can buy a overdrive/boost/tubescreamer to tighten up your overdrive channel.

A lot of people also say an EQ helps with improving your sound, never tried it but I think a lot of people are gonna say this.
EQ is the only way to make the amp sound better... just fiddle around with the settings until you're pleased
Gibson SG 04'
It's a great amp, im sure just messing with the EQ by turning it maybe 15 mins if you look at it as a hour clock.

For distortion, running a Ts-9 and ISP Decimeter noise reduction has become a standard for me to improve sound (with a very very high gain settings)

Having an FX board probably wont improve your sound as much as just give you more sounds to use.

I am assuming you have a nice guitar, i mean a 100$ squier through that amp might not be toooo nice :p
i wouldn't buy any overdrive-style pedals without trying them with your own amp first; not all engls take (or indeed, need) "tightening-up" (or, indeed, overdrive) pedals all that well.

decimator would be cool if you use a lot of high gain. i use mine in front, though, not in the loop. try it in both places to see where it sounds best...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?