I am going to a jam night tonight, any advice?
Quote by Ed Hunter
This God damned son of a bitch is right.
Can you be a bit more specific? It helps...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Just generally what kind of stuff goes down well? It wont be busy but i dont want to look foolish anyway
Quote by Ed Hunter
If you can improvise over a given chord progression, you won't look foolish! Otherwise, stick to playing the chords and if there are more guitarists, just look at where they're playing on the fretboard...It's what I did at at my first jam session.

Do you know what songs are gonna be played?
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Don't worry about looking foolish, especially if it's your first time there. The reason?

1) If the other people are cool people and worth playing with, you'll end up learning a lot and having a great time as they'll be more inclined to give advice than negative criticism.

2) If they don't fall into category 1, f*** em.

When jamming, try not to think about scales and keys and chords so much; try to hear melodies or phrases or chords that are in your head and then figure out how to play them. The major roadblock many musicians hit when they are trying to improvise is to think about it too much and not feel comfortable with playing what they hear in their head. They're too worried about hitting a wrong note. It takes time but you'll get used to it and improve the more you do it.
Last edited by PSM at Jan 20, 2009,
Thanks for the advice, especially psm and zoopean, i have no idea what songs are gonna be played tbh, i went last week and played bass which was quite easy (no offence). There was this epic guy after though who played like a 7 minute megadeth style solo with perfect sweeps and tapping and all sorts. The best bit was afterwards he seemed so cool . He had been playing 8 years mind
Quote by Ed Hunter
What?!?! Bass? EASY? nah, just messing with you. I, being a Bass player think that some aspects of it are easier.
EDIT: ...okay, most of it is easier

Anyway, when you're jammin' save your best stuff for last whatever that may be. Thats just my opinion though.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Last edited by DeadlyKombat at Jan 20, 2009,
Everytime I try and prepare for a jam, I end up going up there, giving up on trying all my preparations and playing power-chords in time with the rhythm section.
Well it probably would have been to get a good idea of what you'd be jamming. I'm kind of weird but I like to have a list of stuff my band is going to do. After getting that done, then we just mess around and come up with stuff.
i dunno, smoke a joint before? should make it more fun
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Deusexmachina90's 5 step plan for great jamming success:

1. Any time they ask you to lead a tune, play Smoke on the Water.

2. Solo at all possible times, except when restating the main riff to Smoke on the Water.

3. Use 2-hand tapping during all your solos.

4. Don't follow the rhythmic accompaniment too closely, because polyrhythms sound impressive.

5. Smash your guitar at the end.

Good luck, dude. You're going to get a ton of chicks.
this guy above me knows the score. Haha, if you follow his advice you're gonna be hated by everyone
Watch the chords being played by different players and play the changes if you're going for a lead role. You may not instantly know what key the piece is in, but if you see a guy playing Emajor, then play a lick in E.

Eventually you'll find your groove and get comfortable.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Assuming that you have the basics down (playing rhythm, improvising, whatever else is relevant to the style you're playing), I think the absolute most important thing for musicians to have during a jam is discretion and restraint. In my (limited) jamming experiences, a lot of musicians--guitarists in particular--don't know when to shut the f*ck up and knock off the soloing/fills for a few bars. Nothing sounds more amateur than two guitarists/guitarist and keyboardist playing over each other, or inserting needless fills all the time. Unless you're absurdly good, there's zero chance that anyone wants to hear you take a 3-minute solo. By overplaying, you're just going to exhaust all your good licks, and then spend the rest of the night fumbling around or rehashing old ideas.
Stuff your pants to make your package look bigger. It'll increase your confidence.

Anytime someone criticizes your playing, just point at your crotch and say a good one-liner.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ