I currently have a Epiphone SG Special and my friend is willing to give me his Fender Squier. My question is if it would be an upgrade in anyway to my Special SG? I have only been playing for 4 months but I practice everyday for at least an hour and I really enjoy it a lot.
It's not an upgrade, it's a downgrade. They are very different guitars though, so just take it. I own a strat and an SG and love them both (strat is american though, not squire)
downgrade, but if it was like 20 bucks i'd do it, and just keep it in a separate tuning or something.
whether it's an upgrade or not depends on which model the squier is. ignore anyone that says "it's a downgrade" without knowing anything about the guitar other than the fact it's a squier - they are just ignorantly brand-bashing. It'd actually be more likely to be an upgrade from an epiphone SG special than a downgrade, and even if in terms of quality it's a downgrade you might even find you like it better anyway because it's going to be a very different guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 20, 2009,
Thanks for all your replies. I am gonna pick it up today and re-string it! I am looking forward to it
If it's not going to cost you much, you might benefit from having both. Somewhere down the line you'll be wanting to buy a better quality guitar, and having tried more than one model (and those are two very different models) will give you a better idea of what you're looking for. If he's asking for serious money for it, I wouldn't bother, but you can maybe ask to borrow it for a bit.
I wouldn't make a trade, since I think the SG might be better (or at least more expensive) than the Squier.

Epiphone SG's seem to run for $200 to $300 used, while Squiers go for maybe $100 to $200.

Actually, a guy on Craigslist gave away a Squier and an Amp.
I wouldn't make a trade, since I think the SG might be better (or at least more expensive) than the Squier. Epiphone SG's seem to run for $200 to $300 used, while Squiers go for maybe $100 to $200.

Squier Stratocaster and Amp - FREE

I just wish I had seen it sooner. You can't beat the price!
There would be no trading, he is just going to give me the guitar so I think I am going to take it
I agree with blompcube, squiers may be less expensive, but sometimes with some models, they are better than much higher priced guitars. If you don't think so, play a mim strat next to a squier vibe 60s. Hell play it next to an american standard strat..... I did and bought the squier. Played all three for about 2 hours with the same amp, playing the same songs/licks and could not deny how great the squier vibe 60s was. Mind you the vibe 60s has a solid alder body, which most squiers don't so it depends on the model

If you were to cover the name on the headstock, or replace the squier with fender, most people would not be able to tell the difference.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
I wouldn't make a trade, since I think the SG might be better (or at least more expensive) than the Squier.

Epiphone SG's seem to run for $200 to $300 used, while Squiers go for maybe $100 to $200.

He is talking about the SG Special. They go for about $160 new. I would say that the Squire is probably better than the SG Special. The SG Special, the G-310, and the G-400 are very different guitars.
if it's one of the cheaper squiers then chances are they're about equal in terms of price/quality. i'd say there's a 98% chance this is true. it's important to note that some of the more expensive squiers built nowadays rival fender guitars, as do some older MIJ squiers. but I'd take it either way. they're very different from each other and you'll find out which feels better to you, which is much more important than a price tag.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by yellowsnow4free

I wouldn't make a trade, since I think the SG might be better (or at least more expensive) than the Squier. Epiphone SG's seem to run for $200 to $300 used, while Squiers go for maybe $100 to $200.

Squier Stratocaster and Amp - FREE

I just wish I had seen it sooner. You can't beat the price!

An Epiphone SG Special for $300? That's an unbelievable rip off, I got mine w/ the Epiphone 15W amp for $300 (starter pack). It should be about $200
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Get it so you can have the a little of both worlds in terms of feel and sound.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Free guitar?

If you don't like it put it on your wall as decoration or something.
It's not really an upgrade, i've got an SG special and a squier tele, they are both different.
i equally enjoy playing them both.
rule of thumb, if there is ANYTHING musical that crosses your path and is free, take it.

Enjoy
dam I wish someone gave me a ****ty guitar.
There are some many options out there...
Modding,smashing,fusion (how fvcked up would an SG with a strat neck look? even though it wouldn't work...),different tuning,different sound.
I say use it to learn how to set up a guitar,then setup the SG for C standard (if you play metal) and the squier in E standard.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.