Hey guys
i can sweep decently, quickly getting better i can now do the "barre" chord sweeps pretty fluently, my problem though is, i can sweep but i cant get that 'sweep sound'. like my sweeps just sound like scales up and down. im trying to get that sound that you can hear at the sweep outro in seize the day by a7x and sweeps similar.
any help would be appreciated thanks
That "sweep sound" you're probably referring to is a combination of a lot of things: speed, ACCURACY, often times a neck pickup/smooth sound, and the right amount of muting with your right hand and other fingers. You basically want to sweep like you're strumming an open chord, only quickly muting the previous string as you hit the next string.

If you want to find out just how good someone is at sweeping, hand them a single coil telecaster on the bridge pickup with a fairly clean sound and let them have at it. If it sounds good, they probably have a pretty kickass technique.
Last edited by PSM at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Hey guys
i can sweep decently, quickly getting better i can now do the "barre" chord sweeps pretty fluently, my problem though is, i can sweep but i cant get that 'sweep sound'. like my sweeps just sound like scales up and down. im trying to get that sound that you can hear at the sweep outro in seize the day by a7x and sweeps similar.
any help would be appreciated thanks

Can you actually sweep pick, or are you just arpeggiating chords?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
he probably ment the sweep where you bar three string (forgot its name..... G major? )

EDIT: if he didn't he's just arpeggiating chords (which is pretty usefull sometimes as well)

EDIT No. 2: Wrong section (slow brains are slow, sorry)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jan 20, 2009,
no iv got the constant motion, like iv got good speed, it just doesnt sound good compared to real music lol, like its fast, its UsuallY muted, im slowly getting better at completely muting, but im ignoring that for the problem, heres a tab iv just got down at a decent speed, nothing compared to synester but slowly getting tehre, i hav the strings muted and such, decent speed, it just doesnt have that beautiful flowing sound that you want from a sweep.

Guitar 1:
e|-18p15----------15-18p15------------15-17p13----------13-17p13----------13---|
B|------15------15------- -------15------15----------15------15---------15------15-----|
G|--------15--15-------------------15--15--------------14--14------------14--14-------|
D|----------17-------------------------17-------------------15------------------15---------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
3 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 4 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 2 1 2 1
it goes on longer but i just cant get that sound synester can, which will take practice but it seems as though its missing something.. and i dont know what

also sry for the wrong section new at ug
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jan 20, 2009,
if i had something to record with lol maybe ill go buy something.. but for the moment i dont have anything unfortunately

iv heard of wahwah pedals being used in some instances is this normal for sweeps?
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Are you doing Seize the day by A7X?

thats what im working on right now yes
I just learned the song as well (well the solo). I used the guitar pro tab, and it had no sweeping.

I did check the regular tab and it did have sweeping, but I don't know.
hmm really.. taht is wierd.. it deffinetly sounds like sweeps in the background on the outtro.. on pro what does it have it as, alternate picking?
Quote by JimmyBanks6
no iv got the constant motion, like iv got good speed, it just doesnt sound good compared to real music lol, like its fast, its UsuallY muted, im slowly getting better at completely muting, but im ignoring that for the problem, heres a tab iv just got down at a decent speed, nothing compared to synester but slowly getting tehre, i hav the strings muted and such, decent speed, it just doesnt have that beautiful flowing sound that you want from a sweep.

Guitar 1:
e|-18p15----------15-18p15------------15-17p13----------13-17p13----------13---|
B|------15------15------- -------15------15----------15------15---------15------15-----|
G|--------15--15-------------------15--15--------------14--14------------14--14-------|
D|----------17-------------------------17-------------------15------------------15---------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
3 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 4 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 2 1 2 1
it goes on longer but i just cant get that sound synester can, which will take practice but it seems as though its missing something.. and i dont know what

also sry for the wrong section new at ug

The thing is mate, a PROPER sweep sounds smooth, there's no magic ingredient. If your sweeps aren't sounding smooth, then you can't sweep correctly. This may sound harsh, but it's the truth...
As someone here said, a good sweeper can make sweeping sound good on basically any given guitar, or even without any overdrive or distortion. A mediocre sweeper sounds mediocre, but a bad sweeper can't sweep smooth on whichever gear you give them, but their sweeps sound good through the filter that is between their ears and their brain...

What an odd word by the way, if you use it much. Sweeping.
Last edited by Y00p at Jan 20, 2009,
no i see what you taking thats not harsh, cant get better without the truth eh, so just more practice is all i need then, thats always good news in my opinion .. well usually
Yeah, it sounds like sweeping.

I just checked guitar pro, and looks like some versions are retarted and don't tell you to sweep pick. There's only one version that does. So yeah, it's sweep picking.
Quote by Y00p
The thing is mate, a PROPER sweep sounds smooth, there's no magic ingredient. If your sweeps aren't sounding smooth, then you can't sweep correctly. This may sound harsh, but it's the truth...
As someone here said, a good sweeper can make sweeping sound good on basically any given guitar, or even without any overdrive or distortion. A mediocre sweeper sounds mediocre, but a bad sweeper can't sweep smooth on whichever gear you give them, but their sweeps sound good through the filter that is between their ears and their brain...

What an odd word by the way, if you use it much. Sweeping.

Pretty much it right there, ultimately if a swept run doesn't sound like, well..."blooooloolooolooop", for want of a better word, then you aren't actually sweep picking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Pretty much it right there, ultimately if a swept run doesn't sound like, well..."blooooloolooolooop", for want of a better word, then you aren't actually sweep picking.

Let's call sweeping bloolooping from now on.
can't you put something on the end ofthe neck (i think near the nut) to mute it for you?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by splamron
can't you put something on the end ofthe neck (i think near the nut) to mute it for you?

well its not the muting, im slowly getting better at muting , i want to be able to do it perfectly/correctly thats all not cheating lol

i think i juts need a lil faster connections between sweeps and it should have the proper sound, iv been reading all around it so thats what iv come to conclude

also: whats the proper area to make threads to talk about stuff with similar subjects as this?
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
well its not the muting, im slowly getting better at muting , i want to be able to do it perfectly/correctly thats all

i think i juts need a lil faster connections between sweeps and it should have the proper sound, iv been reading all around it so thats what iv come to conclude

also: whats the proper area to make threads to talk about stuff with similar subjects as this?

I can't think of a better one than this...?
Quote by Y00p
I can't think of a better one than this...?

oh okay i was told this is the wrong area to talk about sweeps :S
If it doesn't sound smooth, you're not doing it right, anything with a similar looking pyramid like pattern on a tab should give you that "bloop loop bloop" sound if you sweep it correctly, distortion or no distortion.

Try not to practice your sweeps with too much distortion, you'll only think you sound good because it'll cover your mistakes, do it with light gain at first, once you can do it with light gain cleanly, switch to clean and see how you sound then, I did this and I can sweep on clean now.