Just got some used EMG 81/89 pickups and got a question or two.
-The 81 is an old style one - no quick connect, and it has a red wire and a braided wire. Now someone soldered 2 wires to the braided one. Isnt there supposed to be a third lead for hot?
-The EMG diagram shows a 3 position switch with 8 posts. mines got three. What wire goes where?
emgs only have two visible wires until you strip the braided one. the braided one is two wires in one, there's a white wire inside of it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Jan 20, 2009,
As for the switch is it like an LP toggle switch? Neck - both - Bridge

Probably hot from either pickup to the outside contacts and the middle is hot out from the switch but if you can post a photo or diagram it'd be easier to say.
OK I messed something up. I only get sound out of the 89 on single coil mode.
You'll have to post a diagram of your wiring. The variables are too many to guess at.
I used the one for the 89 on EMG's web site. 1 vol push/pull, 1 tone, and a 3 way switch.
The only thing different is my switch and its wired like you said up there^^
Yes. But that's why I emphasized 'your', so we can trace your actual wiring and compare it to the EMG original (which should work properly, agreed?).

If you physically copy the actual wiring from your guitar (as opposed to how it should look) it makes fault-finding so much easier.

You're getting the 81 as normal but the 89 only in SC, yes?
Pulling the pp pot does... anything?

Check the wires on the 89 then if everything else works correctly.
Quote by bellerophon
Yes. But that's why I emphasized 'your', so we can trace your actual wiring and compare it to the EMG original (which should work properly, agreed?).

If you physically copy the actual wiring from your guitar (as opposed to how it should look) it makes fault-finding so much easier.

You're getting the 81 as normal but the 89 only in SC, yes?
Pulling the pp pot does... anything?

Check the wires on the 89 then if everything else works correctly.

I was getting the 89 on single and nothing else.

I ripped it all apart again. Gonna start new.
OK got everything working, but it hums a little too much. was I supposed to do something with the bridge ground?
Quote by Dr. House
OK got everything working, but it hums a little too much. was I supposed to do something with the bridge ground?

i don't have the ground wire from the bridge connected with my 81 and it's dead silent. i also remember reading on the emg site that they encourage you to leave the bridge ground out because emgs are internally grounded.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.