Page 1 of 3
If you could give one tip to all guitarists about playing the guitar, something that's helped you a lot, what would it be?

For me it'd be: Touch the frets lightly, don't press any harder than you have to to sound the note.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
speed is a byproduct of accuracy. i think this gets spewed off all the time around here and nobody listens.
Never thing you're above something - there's no beginner, intermediate or advanced, only things you know and things you don't know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tempoe
Buy good gear.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

a good guitarist can make a sh!t guitar sound decent or awesome. a sh!t guitarist still sounds like sh!t on a nice guitar/cab

edit: however if by "good gear" you mean gear that isn't broken or messed up and works, then yes. buy good gear.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

a good guitarist can make a sh!t guitar sound decent or awesome. a sh!t guitarist still sounds like sh!t on a nice guitar/cab

I was waiting for that...Something you need to experience I guess.
Quote by steven seagull
Never thing you're above something - there's no beginner, intermediate or advanced, only things you know and things you don't know.

That's some nice piece of advice, although I did divide my Ultimate Guide into a Beginner, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced part

My advice would be:
Know your instrument. Great knowledge of music and your instrument, and great playing come as one.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
That's some nice piece of advice, although I did divide my Ultimate Guide into a Beginner, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced part

My advice would be:
Know your instrument. Great knowledge of music and your instrument, and great playing come as one.

I'll conceded that there's some things that require you to be a certain way along, but there seems to be this belief that as soon as you've learned the absolute minimum about something then it's off to the next "level".

That's why we have "guitarists" who try to learn all there is to know about the instrument in a year and end up being able to do none of it properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by LeperAffinity
If you could give one tip to all guitarists about playing the guitar, something that's helped you a lot, what would it be?

For me it'd be: Touch the frets lightly, don't press any harder than you have to to sound the note.

Enjoy playing your guitar.

some people take themselves far to seriously and often think of themselves as being above this very simple thing.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
I'll conceded that there's some things that require you to be a certain way along, but there seems to be this belief that as soon as you've learned the absolute minimum about something then it's off to the next "level".

That's why we have "guitarists" who try to learn all there is to know about the instrument in a year and end up being able to do none of it properly.

That's what my Guide is supposed to counter... if you read them, you'd see that they're very in depth on each subject. I'm not a fan of learning the minimum on something and moving on, either...
Both hands are equally important. I've seen scores of people with great left-hand accuracy but couldn't strum a beat let alone pick properly.
Quote by Tempoe
I was waiting for that...Something you need to experience I guess.

i'm lost, i've seen terrible guitarists be terrible on good equipment. i've seen awesome guitarists sound pretty decent on terrible equipment. i'm not sure what exactly i'm supposed to experience.
Quote by z4twenny
i'm lost, i've seen terrible guitarists be terrible on good equipment. i've seen awesome guitarists sound pretty decent on terrible equipment. i'm not sure what exactly i'm supposed to experience.

This. Good accuracy, legato/vibrato, and overal technique skills don't come from great gear, let alone the theory knowledge to work with your instrument... And completely let alone emotion in your playing.
Play good.

No really, don't get discouraged if you're not making a lot of progress.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
you DO NOT have to be able to play crazy train perfectly to be a guitarist... (you will only understand this if you saw the other thread in here)
Never let someone make you second guess your theory knowledge if they can't back their reasons for their thinking up.

Oh! and never let your friends play your guitar if they don't know how because some people are just too rough on a guitar..
Last edited by ehlert99 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by ehlert99
Never let someone make you second guess your theory knowledge if they can't back their reasons for their thinking up.

Oh! and never let your friends play your guitar if they don't know how because some people are just too rough on a guitar..

My friend picked up my guitar, and within two seconds, almost snapped my string.

NEVER touch another mans tuners.
yea I let a friend mess with mine once when i put new strings on like the day before and he broke a few!!! its funny how people strum when they dont know anything about guitar..
SLOW DOWN. All the guitarists I meet my age are only interested in playing as fast as they can, no emotion, barely sounds like music. The more notes you play the less important they all become.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
SLOW DOWN. All the guitarists I meet my age are only interested in playing as fast as they can, no emotion, barely sounds like music. The more notes you play the less important they all become.

I don't believe there is an amount of notes/ importance ratio as you suggest.

I think what you are talking about is what I refer to as SGS..... sports guitar syndrome. A very common affliction amongst modern guitarists. In short it's when a guitarist approaches the instrument as a sport and uses stats such as how many notes one can play in a second to determine a persons skill level.

Slowing down as you suggest, is one thing (of many) that may help to delay or prevent the onset of this malady.
I agree with your point, and would like to defend myn. The human brain can only process so many things at once, so when Steve Vai is running up and down scales as fast as he can (just picked a random shred name) you lose attachment with each note and instead focus on the general picture of the scale. This isn't always a bad thing, but I think it becomes one when it is the only form of expression being used.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
My tip would be don't automatically assume playing fast is always without emotion .
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
I didn't say it was, but I do believe most of it is. Most of the shred I hear is just (IMO) people showing how fast they can go, and not trying to express themselves. There are circumstances where this doesn't apply, some Vai, some Satch, but for the most part yes, I do beleive most shred is emotionless.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
So how would you define playing with emotion? I think the case here would be that YOU personally (and a lot of people with you, that's true) generally don't feel anything from shred music. However, just because you don't feel the music, doesn't mean that the players don't try to express themselves.

I do agree however that racing up and down scales is not music, but shred music can be so much more than that.

edit: I'm sorry for derailing the thread, this is not the place for this discussion . And yes I'm perfectly aware of the concept of opinion, thank you very much.
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
Last edited by Tompa87 at Jan 20, 2009,
Do you not grasp the concept of opinion? Everything I have said is my opinion, simply because it could not exist as anything else. I even said, IMO. I'm sure some people find Dragonforce emotionally fullfilling, all I'm saying is I BELIEVE that they are not expressing emotion, and I don't experience any emotion because of it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by Da Squiz
Play good.

No really, don't get discouraged if you're not making a lot of progress.

Oh man, I remember I was getting discouraged recently and I thought, "Damn, I need a trainer" because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I learned Smells like Teen Spirit and damn, that song is fun as hell, I don't have it down perfect but from what I understand Nirvana was all about being messy anyways.

Btw, ZeGuitarist, I'm learning from your guide, I'm working on hammer ons (especially w/ the intro riff to "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer)
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by bangoodcharlote
No no no, you should be able to play Smells Like Teen Spirit correctly.

Well, I have everything right except for the intro riff. Basically, I play the F power chord and then go into the A# power chord and play THOSE dead notes instead of the F power chord notes.

Instead of...
I------------------------------I
I----------------------3-3-----I
I-3--3-3--x--x--x--3-3-----I
I-3--3-3--x--x--x--1-1-----I
I-1--1-1--x--x--x-----------I

I do...
I-----------x--x--x--3-3-----I
I-3--3-3--x--x--x--3-3-----I
I-3--3-3--x--x--x--1-1-----I
I-1--1-1----------------------I

And then the same for the G# and C power chords.

Btw, if I got the note names wrong then that's because I've been taught Basic Musicianship not really based on any instruments, just the basics that could be applied to any instrument really, but if anything I'd say I was taught w/ a piano (the teacher was a great piano player)
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Jan 20, 2009,
I'm a bit of a perfectionist...

That's not how you play teen spirit to my knowledge. Don't you move up a string, so you're playingwith your index on the A?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
I think the reason why people like to think fast = good is because its measurable, while emotion isn't. People can say they can play fast, and prove it, whereas not all people can feel the emotion in a song.
My tip? Jam with other people as much as possible. Helps almost all aspects of being a guitarist.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
too bad perfection doesnt exist.. perfection is dull, boring, if something was perfect thats that... cant be any different... and no one likes only one way.
Quote by Da Squiz
That's not how you play teen spirit to my knowledge. Don't you move up a string, so you're playingwith your index on the A?

that IS how you play it. F, Bb, Ab, Db all 5ths. the x'ed parts aren't required to be perfect, as long as you make a percussive sound and i actually do it across the a,d,g strings myself as it "chugs" less and sounds more percussive to me.
Quote by ehlert99
too bad perfection doesnt exist.. perfection is dull, boring, if something was perfect thats that... cant be any different... and no one likes only one way.

I mean perfectionist as in I realize I'm not doing it the way Kurt did it (or how it was tabbed) but I'm not the type to really stress it, I've improvised other songs for example in Kryptonite when there's the 3 top strings played upward strokes (like a sweep) as in:

e I---0------I
B I-----0----I
G I-------2--I

and when I was just learning I didn't think it was really necessary to go through the trouble of making that 3rd string hit the note on the second fret so I played it as if it were

e I---0-----I
B I-----0---I
G I-------0-I

I'm not a perfectionist as in I try to be perfect, I just wouldn't tell anybody I'm doing it right unless I am (nobody noticed that last G wasn't in the song unless I pointed it out)... hence, I didn't say I play Smells Like Teen Spirit perfectly...

Page 1 of 3