Hey everyone. I'm looking at a MIA Strat that I may very well buy.

I know what to look for on the guitar aesthetically, but what am I listening for?

My current guitar is a Toys R Us piece of garbage, so I'm assuming a MIA should blow me away.

I figure I'll try out the MIA with my current equipment (amp and cable); that should be a good comparison.

I haven't really heard a MIA, MIM, MIJ, or even a Squier in action before, so how will I know I'm not being ripped off?

I'd really appreciate some sound links or anything that could help.

Thanks!
if you like it and you like the sounds you can get out of it i would go for it. there is no point in buying it for the brand name though. if it isnt as good as you think it should be, don't get it.
Quote by Zeldaik
Spend the extra money and get yourself a real strat.

Isn't a MIA a real Strat? I am planning on getting the MIA.
Quote by n to the k
if it isnt as good as you think it should be, don't get it.

Yeah, I think that's pretty good advice.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Isn't a MIA a real Strat? I am planning on getting the MIA.
yeah sorry about it.
I though I saw MIM.
Quote by Zeldaik
yeah sorry about it.
I though I saw MIM.

Don't worry about it. I was just concerned my info was wrong
I'll say the same. Don't buy the name, buy what is right for you. Spend some time in a guitar shop and get to know the feel of various models, including Strats. There are many great guitars in that price range so why limit yourself before you know exactly what you want?
Just a little aside. I bought a pre-CBS Strat for £100 once. In perspective the guy also had a '65 SG for £200. If I'd known the Strat's weaknesses then I'd have saved up for the SG. The Strat just didn't suit me but would have been excellent for someone else.
Quote by Lurcher
I'll say the same. Don't buy the name, buy what is right for you. Spend some time in a guitar shop and get to know the feel of various models, including Strats. There are many great guitars in that price range so why limit yourself before you know exactly what you want?
Just a little aside. I bought a pre-CBS Strat for £100 once. In perspective the guy also had a '65 SG for £200. If I'd known the Strat's weaknesses then I'd have saved up for the SG. The Strat just didn't suit me but would have been excellent for someone else.

That's good advice too. Unfortunately, the only guitar shop here is Guitar Center, and their closest location is a ways away.

I know I should be buying what is right for me, but this MIA isn't too much more than a MIM/MIJ, so I figured I might splurge a little.

I'd really hate to get a MIM/MIJ and regret not buying the MIA (not unlike yourself with the SG).

As for why I'm buying a Strat, well, that's the easy part. Before I even knew what a Stratocaster was, I loved that guitar. I've always known that if I did learn to play guitar, I wanted a Strat.
Quote by Zeldaik
yeah sorry about it.
I though I saw MIM.

Your point?

MIM's are real Fender's.

Hell, depending who you ask, the part of Mexico the factory is in is actually in California, not Mexico, so you could claim their also US-made.

Quote by yellowsnow4free
That's good advice too. Unfortunately, the only guitar shop here is Guitar Center, and their closest location is a ways away.

I know I should be buying what is right for me, but this MIA isn't too much more than a MIM/MIJ, so I figured I might splurge a little.

I'd really hate to get a MIM/MIJ and regret not buying the MIA (not unlike yourself with the SG).

As for why I'm buying a Strat, well, that's the easy part. Before I even knew what a Stratocaster was, I loved that guitar. I've always known that if I did learn to play guitar, I wanted a Strat.

Just go to Guitar Center despite distance, play every strat they have and buy the one you like best.

Worked for a friend of mine, he loves the thing now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Make sure you get a cool color!

That's my advice.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
MIA strats are so buttery smooth its unbelievable. You can definitely feel the difference between them and MIM, even though MIM's are good as well. My MIA strat just arrived from UPS yesterday and the setup was almost perfect for me out of the box, just a little tweaking of the action. I played a bunch at the local GC and could definitely tell the difference in feel between the MIA and MIM, so I ordered one online. This MIA strat you say you can get, is it a 2008? If not, what year? That can make a big difference. Fender went through a lull in quality (don't know what years exactly) but supposedly their guitars now are as good as ever.
Quote by GuitarDTO
This MIA strat you say you can get, is it a 2008? If not, what year? That can make a big difference. Fender went through a lull in quality (don't know what years exactly) but supposedly their guitars now are as good as ever.

I'm not sure on the exact year (one of the questions I'm going to ask). I think it's mid-2000 or so.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix