So, I blew out the speaker on my cab, and my head should be fixxed soon(i hope).

At the moment it looks as if I have 2 choices.

1. Buy a new cab. [costly]

2. Buy a new speaker. [may be risky]

I have basically no experience in this area (changing speakers- not amps), anyone ever done it before? Any troubles or problems I'm likely to run into? What work is involved? Should I have posted this in GB&C?

The cab is an Ashdown Mag 115. The speaker I've seen is a Celestion. Full Specs Here
I've seen one on the internet for £75, and the cheapest I've seen an Ashdown 115 is around £160-170.
What would you do?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Poll? I say option 2, it's a lot cheaper. I wouldn't think you'd run into any problems. From what I've heard,, it's pretty much a soldering job. But don't quote me on that though, I'm not amp expert.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Option 2

Depending on your cab, it may be as simple as screwing in the new speaker and clipping the leads to it.
Just did a few searches on the Gear Building forum and apparently it is that easy. When I get news about my head I'm gonna try and order the speaker

EDIT:
Quote by Some online Shop
The perfect replacement chassis/drivers for Ashdown Combos!

Yay
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jan 20, 2009,
Go with number two, but when your soldering your new speaker, check the inpouts as well, just to make sure theres nothing worng there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
it's a pity you don't live nearer I have speakers that would have done for you.
Many cabs use either spade/screw or sprung connectors, just make sure you get the polarity right, if you don't and you add another cab they would be out of phase with each other and sound awful.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
it's a pity you don't live nearer I have speakers that would have done for you.
Many cabs use either spade/screw or sprung connectors, just make sure you get the polarity right, if you don't and you add another cab they would be out of phase with each other and sound awful.

haha i was sort of waiting for you to post.

Where do you live? I'd be willing to cover postage.

I've taken off the speaker in my cab just to see what it looks like in there, and it just looks like a soldering job. On the speaker there is a little red pen mark next to one of the wires. I've seen a picture of that celestion speaker and it has nothing to indicate the polarity, is there a way of knowing which is which?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
haha i was sort of waiting for you to post.

Where do you live? I'd be willing to cover postage.

I've taken off the speaker in my cab just to see what it looks like in there, and it just looks like a soldering job. On the speaker there is a little red pen mark next to one of the wires. I've seen a picture of that celestion speaker and it has nothing to indicate the polarity, is there a way of knowing which is which?

The red mark is usualy the positive terminal. when you put a 9v (PP3) onto the speaker terminals if it is the correct way the speaker cone will move forewards otherwise it moves backwards, when it moves forewards the battery positve is touching the speaker positive.
I live up north near Sheffield.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
thanks that will help

What are the speakers you are talking about?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Eminence 300 watt Neodymium 15".
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
4ohm or 8ohm?
Quote by guitarhero_764

8 Ohm
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn