Page 1 of 2
hi
to become a guitarist, do you have to be able to play crazy train?

this guy at my skwl says to become a guitarist you need to be able to play crazy train..is this true?

im thinking its not

but what are your thoughts?
baring in mind he's been playing about 2-4 months and is very bigheaded i think hes biting off more than he can chew(hes gonna learn it)......

i can play the intro.......

didnt know where to put this so i put it here
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
HAHAHA..
In my opinion everyone making an attempt at guitar is a "guitarist"
Also crazy train really is not that hard..
Last edited by LPlayer at Jan 20, 2009,
off course not, you are a guitarist when you play guitar(especially when you play longer than just a week or 2)
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Firstly.. ^ what he said

And I'd say Stairway is more of a guitarists anthem

Much better song too
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Hes full of it. I've been playing for 2 years and I've never realy cared for learning it.
Haha that's a good one. I've been playing guitar for 9 years and I've never played crazy train. A guitarist is anybody who picks up the instrument on a regular basis and plays it, whether it be a couple of chords or some ridiculous shredding
Last edited by EatShreddies at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by xander307
I'd say Stairway is more of a guitarists anthem

this. Knowing how to play Crazy Train is cool and all but I'm gonna guess and say he's probably one of those people that all they do is play it. You really ought to have a little bit of variation in the stuff you can play.
my second time today...

...wat?
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Lies, ALL LIES!!!! you don't need to learn it, but you can if you want to... its really all what YOU wanna play, not what other people wanna hear. If people wanna hear Sabbath, but you play Blink 182, thats perfectly ok, it's all about what you wanna do... + i never wanted to learn that song since i hated the song... (so damn annoying)
play some thing that gives you challenge, and something you like...
i can't play it. i could learn, but i choose not too. i can sweep pick. am i not a guitarist?
Michael Angelo Batio played Crazy Train, but, i dont see the need to, i think he will come around in time, back when i was starting out, i thought i needed to play Freebird, but, now ive come to realise, what i need to play is guitar, whether i play Freebird or not is of no consequence
Quote by loudog93
i can't play it. i could learn, but i choose not too. i can sweep pick. am i not a guitarist?

sweep picking is soooo overrated, confusing at first, once the patterns are learned it's cake.. (no offense)
he's an idiot for saying it, but if you believe what he says, you're even more of an idiot.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
youre a true guitarrist when you dont know how to play crazy train..

haha, jk. but seriously your a better guitarrist when you make your own music.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by padgea7x
hi
to become a guitarist, do you have to be able to play crazy train?

this guy at my skwl says to become a guitarist you need to be able to play crazy train..is this true?

im thinking its not

but what are your thoughts?
baring in mind he's been playing about 2-4 months and is very bigheaded i think hes biting off more than he can chew(hes gonna learn it)......

i can play the intro.......

didnt know where to put this so i put it here

This is true. There was no such thing as guitarists before 1980. Then Randy Rhoads wrote Crazy Train, and the concept of being a guitarist was born. Now there are lots of people that play guitar, only some of which can be considered guitarists (the ones that can play Crazy Train of-course). The thing is you have to be able to play the whole thing note for note like the original, otherwise you can only be considered a wanna-be guitarist.

Keep working at it, eventually you will join the ranks of true guitarists.

Your friend is incredibly knowledgeable.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
This is true. There was no such thing as guitarists before 1980. Then Randy Rhoads wrote Crazy Train, and the concept of being a guitarist was born. Now there are lots of people that play guitar, only some of which can be considered guitarists (the ones that can play Crazy Train of-course). The thing is you have to be able to play the whole thing note for note like the original, otherwise you can only be considered a wanna-be guitarist.

you gotta be kidding?!?!?

my guitar filosofy is a that true guitarist, can play a cover, but never ever play it note for note, damnit man... not note for note, you don't HAVE to play crazy train, to be a guitarist...
Quote by Ozwal

my guitar filosofy is a that true guitarist, can play a cover, but never ever play it note for note, damnit man... not note for note, you don't HAVE to play crazy train, to be a guitarist...

LOL. yeah, I was being sarcastic. What I said was beyond ridiculous and was an attempt to point out how ridiculous the the original question is. I thought it would be fairly obvious to most.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 20, 2009,
I've been playing for four years. This song is really not all that difficult. The guy is a douche bag.
BB King can't play Crazy Train.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Ozwal

Someone put the + end of the battery in the - spot in their sarcasm detection device.

Anyway, my guess is that plenty of jazz and classical guitarists would not be able to name Crazy Train if you played it for them, but as a rock or metal guitarist, you should at least know that intro lick.
To become a guitarist you must use your axe to slay the mighty galgaronx. After he is dead he will drop 3 beads that will scatter to different parts of the globe. You must track down each piece by solving complex sudoku puzzles. Once you find each pice take them to a crafter who will shave each bead down and glue them into a pick, With this pick you can now play guitar like a pro...
Quote by ehlert99
To become a guitarist you must use your axe to slay the mighty galgaronx. After he is dead he will drop 3 beads that will scatter to different parts of the globe. You must track down each piece by solving complex sudoku puzzles. Once you find each pice take them to a crafter who will shave each bead down and glue them into a pick, With this pick you can now play guitar like a pro...

or you could, you know, just go to a local guitar shop and grab 6 picks for a quid... and -then- you do all that other stuff... what you really could do is play White Steel by Chateaux to him and then see who says who isnt a guitarist
Quote by The_Sophist

Neither can Segovia.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I can't play it, at least not by heart maybe by ear. Still I'm pretty sure I'm a more versatile and technically better guitarist than whoever you where talking about(I hope so after almost 12 years of playing at least ).

Quote by axemanchris
Neither can Segovia.

CT

Neither can Sabicas
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky

This is true - the dictionary definition of the word 'guitarist' is actually "a musician who can play 'Crazy Train' on guitar". You should listen to your friend.
I don't even like Black Sabbath, never mind Crazy Train.
Guess my last 12 years of playing were a waste of time then.

*ahem*
Quote by Ikonoklast
I can't believe the vast majority of you people are actually giving serious answers..

repost this in the pit, then see what kind of answers you get.

and i lol'ed.

in fact i would say that just playing covers doesn't make you a guitarist either, a guitarist (to me, this is my opinion) is someone who can pick up a guitar and play something (improvised or written) that is original to them, and make people go "now that was good".
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by The_Sophist

exactly. play what you want.

that being said, in every style there are "standards" that people tend to play. im sure most hard rock/metal players can play crazy train just like a lot of jazz players probably can play round midnight. but its not like its a rule. its just good to have those starting points i guess. plus, when you play with others its good to know some standard songs. but really, play what you want. it wont make you any more or less a guitar player if you dont know a certain song.
Quote by axemanchris
Neither can Segovia.

CT

I've been playing for 6 years and I haven't even heard Crazy Train, or know who it's by.

Or have I
Page 1 of 2