My band has been practicing for a while and we want to start recording different songs and practices. I have been using mixcraft and a computer microphone which doesn't work very well. Does anyone know the best way to record but thats still pretty cheap?
Quote by Code Red Virus
My band has been practicing for a while and we want to start recording different songs and practices. I have been using mixcraft and a computer microphone which doesn't work very well. Does anyone know the best way to record but thats still pretty cheap?

You want to record live? Or record tracks?
Quote by Code Red Virus
Record tracks

Get a recording interface- toneport, digidesign has some, m-audio
Get some good Instrument and vocal mics
Get a good recording software-cakewalk, sonar, protools
im not sure what mixcraft is but...

i use audacity its very simple. to have good sound recordings tho u would need to listin to what kj said...maybe even asking this on the "riffs & recording form.

but its still good to just record with a computer mic get used to it and everything. ya know gain some experince. so when u do upgrade your equitment. ull have a easyer time doing all that.

altho the drums might not be to well it might work out ok. theres only one way to find out. iv done it before it wasnt so bad..maybe even have to muffle the mic with a rag or something.

a good pair of head phones for the drummer when recording with you or someone playing the song. id have to say the drum track would be the hardest due to getting the sound correct. hope that helps even just a little bit LOL

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369733
get limewire and download cool edit pro 2.1
get a thing for the back of your computer so you can plug in a cable
sounds good
I recommend buying Line 6 Tone-port UX2 for about 150$. Gearbox has effects for Guitar, Drums, Keyboard, Bass, and Vocals, plus cab and amp models.
Use either Audacity, or Krystal Audio Engine for mixing. (both free)
Want something easy on your wallet? By either the Boss BR-600, or BR-900. Multi-track recorder with decent drum, bass, and guitar effects. The only thing you may want to get in addition is some extra mastering software to give your tracks that extra clarity and boost.
Record direct.
It's the easiest way.. but the quality - mainly of the guitars - won't be that great.
But I think all solid state/ multi-effects pedals have an "immature" sound to them and sound cheap.
So if you have a tube amp then you definitely want to mic it up.
If you're not somewhere where you can drive a tube amp, you're going to get an
"immature" sound no matter what you do.

I use my Pandora 5XD with Albeton Live (the 5XD comes with Live Lite for free) for everything now. Direct into a computer. It's so easy to make a nice recording that way.

I have an 8 track HD recorder that now collects dust -- it's too much of a pain.