Just wanting to gather some opinions of politics as a subject for AS and A2 level.

Im considering pursueing journalism and I believe it would be a handy qualification to have. Has anyone in the pit done it? Opinions?

Thanks

This has nothing to do with the inauguration
f*ck the media

they don't have much of a purpose anymore, or at least they ignore it entirely.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Pagan-Pie
It's really interesting, and piss easy. Do it.

All the motivation I need, thanks!

Also, forgot to mention If i could choose I would be some type of gaming journalist, but as I know there could be a slim chance of that I want to cover my back
Quote by duggyrocks

Also, forgot to mention If i could choose I would be some type of gaming journalist, but as I know there could be a slim chance of that I want to cover my back

Why is there a slim chance of you being a gaming journalist but not a political journalist?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by touji-za-nai
f*ck the media

So which cave are you posting from again?
Quote by duggyrocks

My friends brother writes for NGamer. He has an English degree, if that helps at all.
Quote by touji-za-nai
f*ck the media

..What?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
From people I know: take maths instead. Then you can get an economics degree and have some hope of knowing something.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by sadistic_monkey
My friends brother writes for NGamer. He has an English degree, if that helps at all.

Does a job like that hold up on its own pay wise? Ive heard some game writers have to do that on the side of a main non gaming job.

Quote by duncang
Why is there a slim chance of you being a gaming journalist but not a political journalist?

Just thought a politics qualification would look well on paper going for any journalism job
Quote by duggyrocks
Does a job like that hold up on its own pay wise? Ive heard some game writers have to do that on the side of a main non gaming job.
I think he's semi freelance. He writes for a few others as well, but I think the pay is fine.
Quote by duggyrocks

Just thought a politics qualification would look well on paper going for any journalism job

Take any higher subject, it'll look better. Both Englishes, Maths, then another language, Philosophy. The like.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Take any higher subject, it'll look better. Both Englishes, Maths, then another language, Philosophy. The like.

Im doing 4 a level I think.

Already certain I'm going to do English Literature, possible maths + physics along with that. I would consider ICT, but the computer related uni courses I looked at dont require it. Plus I could have probably done A Level ICT when I was 6 (judging from what gcse level is like, sorry if Im being ignorant )

English Lit, Politics, Maths + Physics sound good?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my school dont let us do english language for A level
Quote by duggyrocks
Im doing 4 a level I think.

Already certain I'm going to do English Literature, possible maths + physics along with that. I would consider ICT, but the computer related uni courses I looked at dont require it. Plus I could have probably done A Level ICT when I was 6 (judging from what gcse level is like, sorry if Im being ignorant )

English Lit, Politics, Maths + Physics sound good?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my school dont let us do english language for A level

The politics looks a bit out of place with the three more 'academic' subjects, but if you're interested in it, I guess it'd be fine. History would sound better though (and I'd personally think be far more interesting and show you have a greater understanding of more things, rather than just having memorised laws).
Quote by radioprotector
I'm doing AS Politics. It's awesome, do it.

Did you just do the exam with edexcel? That was ****ing hard for me
NOPE.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
The politics looks a bit out of place with the three more 'academic' subjects, but if you're interested in it, I guess it'd be fine. History would sound better though (and I'd personally think be far more interesting and show you have a greater understanding of more things, rather than just having memorised laws).

I didn't do history for gcse, and even though you can pick it up from scratch at a level I dont feel it would be a great idea (not having the experience the rest of the class would have, having even more work on top of the other subjects).
Quote by duggyrocks
I didn't do history for gcse, and even though you can pick it up from scratch at a level I dont feel it would be a great idea (not having the experience the rest of the class would have, having even more work on top of the other subjects).

It'll probably be a completely different area you're studying so prior experience wont matter.
Last edited by aaciseric at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by aaciseric
They don't let you do the only English subject worth doing? Well that sucks for you then. With regards to English Lit I can give you the advise my English teacher (very wise man) gave my class in Year 11:

"This is me talking from experience, DO NOT choose English Literature, you'll regret it for the rest of your education"

He followed that up by having it removed as an option, good job he did.

It'll probably be a completely different area you're studying so prior experience wont matter.

Yeah but I've heard english language doesnt go anywhere else after GCSE. I mean you've covered all the aspects of the language

I really like literature, so Im taking it despite what you say
I have a Masters Degree in politics and say it is a bang up companion to journalism. It will give you a needed area of expertise to sell yourself to with potential employers, you will be forced to read tonnes of stuff and synthesize it into smaller reader friendly pieces, and you will have to be able to analyze complex issues like the law and economics that will help your ability to see things in a big picture kind of way. Good for you and hope you get it all together.
Quote by duggyrocks

It is rather bizarre that they don't do English Language...
But the History course will be completely different, and (honestly, if you're able to do the maths and Physics, you're obviously fairly intelligent) the basic skills are easy to pick up.
And you're just wrong about English Language. It goes so much further and if you don't think it can, don't take Lit.
Last edited by DigUpHerBones at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by duggyrocks
Yeah but I've heard english language doesnt go anywhere else after GCSE. I mean you've covered all the aspects of the language

I really like literature, so Im taking it despite what you say

Self x 100,000

Ignore what I said before, I got the names mixed up
Last edited by aaciseric at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by DigUpHerBones
It is rather bizarre that they don't do English Language...
But the History course will be completely different, and (honestly, if you're able to do the maths and Physics, you're obviously fairly intelligent) the basic skills are easy to pick up.

Quote by TwistedLogic
I have a Masters Degree in politics and say it is a bang up companion to journalism. It will give you a needed area of expertise to sell yourself to with potential employers, you will be forced to read tonnes of stuff and synthesize it into smaller reader friendly pieces, and you will have to be able to analyze complex issues like the law and economics that will help your ability to see things in a big picture kind of way. Good for you and hope you get it all together.

Damn these opposing opinions

Thanks for your input lads, its appreciated. Theres an information workshop for Politics tomorrow that I'll check out. What is involved in history? Is it still heavily about "sources" like it was back in keystage 3s?

Quote by aaciseric
Self x 100,000

Ignore what I said before, I got the names mixed up

EDIT: No problem mate, thanks

BTW, I think my school doesnt do language because they're a bit snobby (why they dont let you do music tech and other ****ty courses like that )
Last edited by duggyrocks at Jan 20, 2009,
It entirely depends on what kind of journalist you want to be, though I agree, it's a good idea to take the class if you simply want to cover all of your options.
I really liked it actually. It will most likely help with journalism, plus it's really interesting to find out about things you've never thought about before, such as different electoral systems.
Take it!