I was just kinda wondering about SSS and HSS.

I'm a rock guy, and I like clean tones as well as some more overdrive-powered stuff.

I was thinking SSS, since I could always use my amp/petals to give it that "dirtier" sound, but I was curious what constitutes a SSS or HSS configuration.

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
SSS = three single-coils. Good for a lot of stuff, gives you that distinct mid-bridge tone nothing else can IMO, and has that classic Fender twang on the bridge pickup, but wiithout a gainstage or a good dist. pedal, can't do much metal.

HSS = Humbucker bridge, two single-coils behind it. More versatile, but loses that famous tone. Can do a lot heavier stuff though.

Personally I like SSS just because mid-bridge is my favourite position on a strat, but it's your call. IMO though, just get a Duncan Hot Rails, put it in the bridge and wire a push-pull pot as volume and set it up to coil-tap the HR.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
HSS = Humbucker bridge, two single-coils behind it. More versatile, but loses that famous tone.

I'm definitely a fan of the famous tone, I think I'll stick with SSS.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Yeah, unless you're going to play straight up hardcore Metal, the SSS should be fine. I have an SSS and it's fine for what I play, the heaviest probably being Smashing Pumpkins style rock.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
You also lose the other famous tone: bridge + middle. Stick with single coils. You can get another guitar for humbucker sounds later on. You'll never get one guitar that can do everything.
^ yeah, but some guitars will do everything a lot better than others will. that's specious reasoning. That's like telling someone who needs a car for the school/city run but also for some quick driving fun that they should either buy a ferrari or a vauxhall corsa, as there's no car that'll do everything. That may be true, but if you're only going to have one car (or guitar), and you need it to do a range of stuff, it makes more sense to get the more versatile version.

It's not a big deal anyway- if you get an HSS strat it can be switched to SSS without too much bother/expense anyway.

how heavy stuff do you play? bear in mind that unless the bridge/middle tone is your favourite (as it is with necrosis), that the other 3 strat tones (neck, neck/middle in parallel and middle) are the same as on a normal strat, assuming all other things are equal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could buy HSS and coil split the bridge ? .......
Quote by Woozye

+1, that's what I got, works like a charm

it's a cheap mod too
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
what do you guys think of putting a hotrail humbucker into the bridge?
Well firstly, the idea that it's a 'humbucker' is a bit misleading. Although technically yes, it does work in the same way, it doesn't sound or react like a humbucker does at all.

All the stacked singlecoils, noiseless singlecoils and 'singlecoil sized humbucker's end up pretty much the same; sounding like a regular single coil that's had some of it's top-end cut off and slightly less idle hum. They're also a bit less responsive than either 'real' humbuckers or regular single coils.

They don't sound 'right' clean, they will handle slightly overdriven tones a bit better than regular single coils, but if you want hard overrive or distrotion, you're **** out of luck. Get a new pickguard with a humbucker space, and buy a proper humbucker.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i am having the same dilema, im getting an american strat, and i play a lot of metal, but im getting a strat for hendrix, rhcp stuff. but then again i play a loy of metal, this would be my first alder guitar so it would be ideal for that van halen tone and id still have the neck p-ups for clean stuff. im just wondering how much id loose in not having a single coil in the bridge.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I have an HSS MIM, and I like it. I've considered an SSS, but decided in the end to go mim. I guess it depends on the sound you want/ are willing to give up. I love throwing a tubescreamer and the Humbucker together on a clean channel, but that's me.

Do you know what amp you will get/already have an amp? If so, play the music you want using both the S and H bridge pickups on different guitars at a store, see which you like more. Shouldn't take too long to figure which one you like more.
Quote by Woozye

Meaning, just use the selector switch when you want to use the humbucker or not?
I thought the famousst strat tone was the neck pickup? I have a HSS Strat and I like the humbucker in the bridge for leads
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Between the HSS and the SSS I think somebody that plays rock is most likely gonna like the SSS. I've played both, and in my opinion, the SSS destroyed the HSS.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

I'm planning on going to Guitar Center soon, so I'll try both.
Quote by Free Time
I'd like to have a HSS with a hawt bridge and a soft neck pup

qft
ESP Alexi 600 and Father Marshall.............nuff said
I honestly do not know what I would do without a humbucker in the bridge. I play bass in my band, and my guitarist has an MIA SSS standard. We do mainly Nirvana covers, and his favorite position is the bridge.

SO

MUCH

HUM

It is rediculous. As soon as he switches to 2 and 4 the ambient noise in the room is cut in half. Really, a single coil bridge is fine and all if you want the sound, but anything mid gain or higher you are really going to have issues. A humbucker in the bridge sacrifices a "famous strat tone" but it opens so many doors.

Also, I want to note that the guitarist is going to swap in a Duncan JB.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
+1 on the coil split.
Best of both worlds...
And no you don't use the pick-up selector for it,you have whats called a push/pull pot on one of the pots.Bassicaly you pull it up lets say and the bridge pick-up will become a single coil.Or you can drill a hole in the guitar and put a switch in but that devalues the guitar...
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by kranoscorp
I honestly do not know what I would do without a humbucker in the bridge. I play bass in my band, and my guitarist has an MIA SSS standard. We do mainly Nirvana covers, and his favorite position is the bridge.

SO

MUCH

HUM

It is rediculous. As soon as he switches to 2 and 4 the ambient noise in the room is cut in half. Really, a single coil bridge is fine and all if you want the sound, but anything mid gain or higher you are really going to have issues. A humbucker in the bridge sacrifices a "famous strat tone" but it opens so many doors.

Also, I want to note that the guitarist is going to swap in a Duncan JB.

You can always get noiseless pickups.
Quote by Ian hawkins
+1 on the coil split.
Best of both worlds...
And no you don't use the pick-up selector for it,you have whats called a push/pull pot on one of the pots.Bassicaly you pull it up lets say and the bridge pick-up will become a single coil.Or you can drill a hole in the guitar and put a switch in but that devalues the guitar...

Don't drill a hole in the guitar. your best option : a hum sized pickguard, a nice passive humbucker and work the electronics to install a push pull pot or an on/off mini switch(and you can drill the pickguard)
Quote by MrFlibble
Well firstly, the idea that it's a 'humbucker' is a bit misleading. Although technically yes, it does work in the same way, it doesn't sound or react like a humbucker does at all.

All the stacked singlecoils, noiseless singlecoils and 'singlecoil sized humbucker's end up pretty much the same; sounding like a regular single coil that's had some of it's top-end cut off and slightly less idle hum. They're also a bit less responsive than either 'real' humbuckers or regular single coils.

They don't sound 'right' clean, they will handle slightly overdriven tones a bit better than regular single coils, but if you want hard overrive or distrotion, you're **** out of luck. Get a new pickguard with a humbucker space, and buy a proper humbucker.

+1

the stacked ones sound a little closer to single coils (but still not exact), while the rail ones sound closer to humbuckers (but still don't sound anything like a full-size 'bucker- any i've tried, anyway).

the big problem is that by going with them, unless you just get a really good one (some are better than others), you can end up losing both the single coil tone AND the humbucker tone

Quote by Fuzzbox91
i am having the same dilema, im getting an american strat, and i play a lot of metal, but im getting a strat for hendrix, rhcp stuff. but then again i play a loy of metal, this would be my first alder guitar so it would be ideal for that van halen tone and id still have the neck p-ups for clean stuff. im just wondering how much id loose in not having a single coil in the bridge.

probably not all that much if you play a lot of metal. you'll still have the strat middle and neck pickups. try both to see, but if i played what you did, and it had to be on the one guitar, i'd be going HSS...

Quote by yellowsnow4free
Meaning, just use the selector switch when you want to use the humbucker or not?

er, that's how it works whether the humbucker is coil split or not?

regarding the coil split- i think "best of both worlds" is over-egging the pudding a little, if it's split it won't sound as good as a "real" single coil either (and they tend to sound a little more like a tele than a strat, but it does depend on the pickup). it's certainly a good idea if you decide to go HSS, as it's better than not splitting the HB, but still not as good as SSS... you have to make your mind up, basically. but as i said earlier, it's not the end of the world if you get it wrong, because you can switch pickups to go between SSS and HSS (assuming it's already routed for a humbucker) by switching scratchplates and the bridge pickup...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble

I'm definatly not getting a new pickguard... mine is all special and crap, I'm not gonna find another stock one.
Oh well, forget that idea