I'm looking into buying a new combo amp in the 200 dollar range just to play around my house with. I've got a Line 6 Spider III right now, and it sounds absolutely horrible with my digitech death metal distortion pedal. I was at guitar center today and played on a Raven RG60. I really liked the sound, but I've heard nothing about the company.
Any pros and cons of Raven amps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Common sense is becoming such and uncommon trait.
replacing the spider with something worse is probably not a good idea. the reason your current setup sounds horrible is that the spider is a bad amp, and the digitech is a horrible pedal...you don't put pedals in front of a modeling amp. Try a peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'd save a bit more. A new amp in that price range wouldn't be an upgrade, it would be more like a side step.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
wow, this is weird, i have a spider 3 combo (150waTT) at the moment, and i have the digitech death metal pedal, and i know wat yu mean wen u play both, but i think the pedal isnt all that great, so i just use the spider,
i personally think the spider 3 is imense, so stick with it!!
Quote by damo13
wow, this is weird, i have a spider 3 combo (150waTT) at the moment, and i have the digitech death metal pedal, and i know wat yu mean wen u play both, but i think the pedal isnt all that great, so i just use the spider,
i personally think the spider 3 is imense, so stick with it!!

These are the words of someone who hasn't heard other amps in the price range. Spiders aren't too bad I know, but you could do better.

A Peavey Vypyr would be a lot better IMO.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by Friendly Stoat

A Peavey Vypyr would be a lot better IMO.

Would a Vypyr sound well with a pedal or would i be better off using the onboard effects?
You don't use modeling amps with pedals. Period.

Don't judge me.
Quote by underOATH7_7_7
Would a Vypyr sound well with a pedal or would i be better off using the onboard effects?

I haven't tried it myself but I'm guessing onboard effects would be better as it's a modeling amp, the pedal may not get along very well with it so maybe you would be better off with a small tube amp in your price range if you want to use the pedal.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by theoreticmusic
You don't use modeling amps with pedals. Period.

Well done on suggesting another modeling amp then. I'm just asking questions man, don't have to be such an ass about it.
Last edited by underOATH7_7_7 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by underOATH7_7_7
Well done on suggesting another modeling amp then. I'm just asking questions man, don't have to be such and ass about it.

What? How was that being an ass? I gave you a straight, honest answer...the whole point in buying a modeling amp is to avoid pedals. If you want pedals, then you should get a different kind of amp, but your Digitech pedal isn't worth buying a non-modeling amp for.

Don't judge me.
Ooh, get a Vox AD15VT. Those are great for just jamming around the house and work beautifully. I'm actually trying to find a way to use it as a massive pedal for my Raven. The effects on it are great, and its not too loud. Perfect for messing around the house with.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I agree with theo, and I don't think he wasn't being an ass. For inexpensive modeling amps I would say try the Cube 30, Vypyr 30 and the new Vox 30 watt modeler.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.