Hi, ive been playing guitar long enough but have never ventured into buying effects boxes or wah pedals before so i dont really know much about patching and such. My old cable just died on me and im buying a dunlop cry baby wah pedal soon too, so of course ill have to have 2 new cables to play again but id rather have angled jack heads as i play a guitar with a front mounted jack input, are these the same as buying a pack of lengthy patch cables or do i need to just buy 2 angled jack to jack leads instead? Help is very much appreciated
Dean Razorback Cemetery Gates
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider II 30 Watt
You can buy cables with angled jacks on them already. If that is what you mean.
not quite, i just wanted to know the difference between patch cables and jack to jack cables? I need a cable to connect my amp to my setup, which will basically be a dunlop wah pedal and then another from that to my guitar, will i need 2 jack to jack conventional cables or can i get away with using 1 or 2 patch cables?
Dean Razorback Cemetery Gates
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider II 30 Watt
There are two types of cable that use 1/4 inch phone jacks. Instrument cables and speaker cables. Speaker cables go from the back of an amplifier to a speaker, and are designed to carry very large amounts of power. Instrument cables are used for everything else. Length makes little to no difference in sound unless you start using cables around 25 feet or longer, in which some cases the signal may be weaker. Angled or Straight jack has no effect on the signal.

All that said, I still couldnt decipher exactly what you were asking, but the information above should answer your question.
Quote by Elsammio99
Hi, ive been playing guitar long enough but have never ventured into buying effects boxes or wah pedals before so i dont really know much about patching and such. My old cable just died on me and im buying a dunlop cry baby wah pedal soon too, so of course ill have to have 2 new cables to play again but id rather have angled jack heads as i play a guitar with a front mounted jack input, are these the same as buying a pack of lengthy patch cables or do i need to just buy 2 angled jack to jack leads instead? Help is very much appreciated

Yes, the plugs 1/4" (straight or angled) serve the same function, (whether being used for instrument or speaker cable). TRS or (Tip Ring Sleeve) are used for stereo applications or dual function purposes... So for your application, you can either use an instrument cable w/ (2) straight plugs, a straight and an angled plug, or dual angled plugs.

An instrument cable/patch cable (Same thing, just usually shorter) (Used as a guitar to amp cable) has an insulated shielding over the conductor wire, and a speaker cable does not.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,
OK, I think he is just confused as to the difference between "regular" cables and "patch" cables. "Patch" cables are just shorter. You can get away with using them if you don't mind how short they are. Just make sure you are getting instrument cables and not speaker cables. You can get them with any combination of angled or straight jacks.