Page 1 of 4
Okay, heres what I KNOW i want to do, not only do i want this to be a classy-shredder guitar, i want it to be artistic, so i have chosen to do an autumn/fall theme. Gold MOP falling leaves inlays. Autumn's colors mostly consist of yellow, orange, brown, and purple. Considering there is no purple wood that STAYS purple i wont be using it (don't say purple heart, if you do you should internet slap yourself). Paduak stays generally dark orange, yellowheart is very much yellow, rosewoods are brown. I cannot use yellowheart (pau amerello) for the neck as it warps something ugly and i'd like this to be a through-neck construction. SO my thoughts are typical 5 piece neck made out of hard curly maple and paduak, and then sandwiching the neck through pieces i will use .5'' thick yellowheart on each side, then top it off with hallowed out blood wood or rosewood body wings with a bookmatched figured paduak top, which would require a flat-top with no carves.

I could also do a carved top single cut or double cut but man would that be heavy. im trying to keep conventional woods out of this build, im sick of mahogany and maple and if i can find another suitable light colored curly neck wood i will try to use it.

I am not going to stain any of the wood either, this is kind of a "beauty of nature" guitar, hence the autumn theme.
Sounds like you went through a lot of planning for this. When do you plan on starting it?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Damn dude, do you ever take a break from building guitars?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by guitar99099
Damn dude, do you ever take a break from building guitars?

no.

a carved DC would be sexy with a 3x3 headstock. i have some PRS plans laying around i could modify to suit the 27 frets, so... pointier horns, deeper cutaway.

a single cut would be rad too, i don't have an LP shaped guitar.
It would be sweet to have an LP with 27 frets...

think of the possibilities... :P
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

i knowww. i am basically doing this build because i have built and finished 7 bolt on basic guitars and the challenge is gone really. i want to do this as a Maslow self-actualization exercise to see if i can really make something beautiful.
Quote by LP Addict
no.

a carved DC would be sexy with a 3x3 headstock. i have some PRS plans laying around i could modify to suit the 27 frets, so... pointier horns, deeper cutaway.

a single cut would be rad too, i don't have an LP shaped guitar.

oooh, do a single cut PRS, those things look ****ing incredible, they have that carve on the cut away, and it's just ****ing insane, those are my thoughts anyway, I also like the hollow body idea.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by LP Addict

im trying to keep conventional woods out of this build, im sick of mahogany and maple and if i can find another suitable light colored curly neck wood i will try to use it.

Afra.
White Korina.
Golcalo Alves.
Canary.

... That's everything remotely "light" coloured and not maple I can see on the Warmoth woods page

EDIT: Everyone saying singlecut:
27 frets+singlecut hand access=...?
canary is yellow/pink and often cracked to hell, white korina would be nice if i can find some good stuff, goncalo alves is like... tiger-striped and yellow/gold colored. it is way beautiful, but not what i am looking for in this one.
Quote by deftonesordie
korina's really nice to work with.

Korina's really nice in general; feels, sounds and plays great as well as being good to work with. If you can find some, you should take it.
*F5*
*Hits F5 again*
*....and again*

WHAR R TEH PIX?

kidding.

but seriously, any mock-ups or anything?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
if you want to be different then put one o' these on there
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
The best guitars ever made in UK were through neck Rosewood or Walnut.
See here, and I guess you'll like the MOP leaf and silver thread inlays
Will your baby have a full length truss rod?
Wanna make me one with ebony fretboard and 16" radius?
What about figured Redwood? I think its Warmoth that has a bunch of it, and for tops, it looks insane. Like a cross between figured maples figure and padauk for color. Lacewood looks nice, too, maybe not the right color for you tho. Id say a figured Redwood top would look nice, what about some Bloodwood some place, maybe down the center of the neck maybe or as a headstock laminate?
figured redwood is cool but i just sold all of mine to a buddy in canada. i have not decided, but right now my wood choice is as follows :
paduak, yellowheart, bloodwood, curly maple, rosewood, white limba

have not decided what and where yet, but those are the woods i will use.

this axe will probably have an 18'' truss rod as opposed to the shorter ones.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

That looks awesome; how much of the marketing blurb actually holds true though?
Quote by Rock Pig
That looks awesome; how much of the marketing blurb actually holds true though?

given that each saddle is effectively a separate trem, I'd assume that it's easier to setup than a normal floyd and that it wouldn't affect tuning if a string broke.

haven't actually played or seen one though. they cost like $700 without installation though.

I like the demo videos though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKnU1YEeBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnPctoQPwE

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.

heres a mockup with pencil if i did a single cut carved top with 27 frets, if i put the 27th fret anywhere near within reach, i have like no space for pickups.. more planning to do i suppose.

could i do a longer scale length and get away with standard tuning? like a 26.5'' scale? i have the tools to make a fingerboard to that scale and all..
Oh and to that tremologic video where the professional is playing, you can play every part of that song with a standard floyd rose, in fact i want to cover that song and post it as a response just to ruin their business.
I dunno about the different scale length, I think it could work.

Also, that looks sweet, pity about the pickup issues, that's the sort of PRS shape I was talking about though.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by LP Addict
Oh and to that tremologic video where the professional is playing, you can play every part of that song with a standard floyd rose, in fact i want to cover that song and post it as a response just to ruin their business.

That Trem is just overlly complacated and is unneeded at all. I mean at least with e Floyd you can Fret, Pick, and depress the wammy all at the same time. And not having to take your hands away is the best feature of a standard Trem.
LP do it make them seem obsolete.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by LP Addict
could i do a longer scale length and get away with standard tuning? like a 26.5'' scale? i have the tools to make a fingerboard to that scale and all..

Yeah, just put some lighter gauge strings on it. You could probably do that with 9's
I use 9 - 42s at 27" in standard, I've heard 28" is really the maximum without coming in to problems.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well higher tension = harder to solo on, and more likely to snap when you bend.

Also strings start to respond differently from bass to treble, 'Scale lengths over 28" start to lose string dynamics on the higher strings'

When Perry was talking about multi scales he said something about getting un even responce across the strings at longer scale lengths and so for 8 strings you need multiscales.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It look's good so far, i'm not sure if you'd even consider this, but how about a single coil on an angle right up against the neck angle, maybe a rail pickup or a noiseless lace pick up, something along the the lines, i think that would be quite unique.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by LP Addict

yep you can do most things the same with a normal floyd. just the same as you can do most things a floyd can do with a floating non locking trem.

but try doing the non professional video.

that's the unique selling point rather than the ease of setup and tuning stability when a string breaks.

I'd have one if it became mass produced and cheap. why wouldn't you? it's something different. isn't that what you wanted for this build?

Quote by element4433
Quote by Daniel8488
It look's good so far, i'm not sure if you'd even consider this, but how about a single coil on an angle right up against the neck angle, maybe a rail pickup or a noiseless lace pick up, something along the the lines, i think that would be quite unique.

not really unique, in fact every guitar with 27 frets has that, i dont really have an option. i wanted to do 3 humbuckers, HHS i suppose.
If you're gonna do a carved double/singlecut then do the semi-hollow as planned before when it was gonna be a tele. That would kill Then you can carve the F holes to look like something autumny.
Quote by LP Addict

http://www.jimsoloway.com/models/ModelsClassic.htm
Guitar One reviewed these guitars, stating that they played them in standard tuning, and they had piano-like clarity amongst the strings and were surprisingly easy to play. See how 26.5 would do, and if it's not quite enough then go for 27. You gonna direct mount the pickups? And you should definitely use a gotoh Floyd with a brass block. That would rape every other long scale guitar I've seen on here, especially with that trem. Then enter it in the GOTM thing

I would actually probably suggest a shape similar to this, to emphasize the autumn theme and to allow for better balancing with the longer neck.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Wow, that rhythm tone is thin and muddy as hell, and those 3 part harmonies are sloppy Beautiful song though. The trem looks cool, but it limits you soooo much. Like LP said, it's playable with a standard trem. I'd have been more impressed if he played complex jazz chords in tune and used the system to bend individual notes within it, strummed or arpeggiated.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 21, 2009,
That tremologic thing looks pretty pointless, it'd be hard to use (like using my wilkinson trem while I've lost the bar, and trust me, you can't get a fluid trem sound from that) and just inconvinient.

Now, on the build, I love the idea, the best of luck to you.
i think im going nuts i could have sworn i just posted a response on here an hour ago

basically it needs to be 25.5''. Its not necessarily like i an move the neck farther towards the bridge, it will not increase the amount of space i have. i guess i can deal with it... i dont think it will look TOO strange, the floyd rose is quite a large bridge.
Quote by LP Addict
i think im going nuts i could have sworn i just posted a response on here an hour ago

basically it needs to be 25.5''. Its not necessarily like i an move the neck farther towards the bridge, it will not increase the amount of space i have. i guess i can deal with it... i dont think it will look TOO strange, the floyd rose is quite a large bridge.

Can't you extend the neck OUT from the body to compensate?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Hmm.. I thought you would only have to do that if you shortened the scale length? Isn't it really like taking a baritone neck from Warmoth (yes, this is a reference to that Mockingbird thread) and sticking it on a Strat? The neck is longer and no modification to the body has to be made to accomodate the neck or pickups or anything.

It seems like the first fret would just be about an inch or so further away from the body while the 27th fret would be in roughly the same location.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 21, 2009,
Page 1 of 4