Page 1 of 2
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
okay, I'll do this right this time.

The Power soak

This is the unit that started it all for SR&D. The power soak is device that you would place between head and the cabinet to attenuate to power delivered to the speakers. This allows you to crank the amp but maintain a reasonable sound level.

Rockman X100

Then came the Rockman X100, it was introduced in the early 80's and was the first of the "walkman-style" practice amplifiers. In addition to the X100 there was a soloist and a bass rockman. Later the "Ace" series was introduced(junk in my opinion and most other rockman junkies).

It has Distortion/Edge/Clean1/Clean2 Also has Normal/chorus off/echo off (when in normal you play both chorus and echo)also has a 3 setting switch for volume (quiet, normal and loud) it also has 2 headphones out, guitar in, and a Aux In/Low level out.

The X100 was a revolutionary piece of gear. At the time there was nothing else like it. It was an instant hit and showed up on many professional recordings in the 80's & 90's (Ie. ZZ top Joe Satriani)

The X100 sounds best through a full range, flat response system like headphones, stereos, PA's and recording decks. It doesn't sound it's best as a preamp through a guitar amp.

Rockman Sustainer
Then came the "sustainer" the first of the "rockmodules" It became a huge hit in the 80s. It was one of the best preamps of the time, and in reality was one of the first "modelers". A couple of the cool features of the sustainer was the compresser that was at the beginning of the circut then on to the actually preamp/sound part of the module with Dist, Edge,Cln,Cln2 (clean 2 is like a staple of the 80s with it's very compressed and clean clean sound) the cool thing about the edge setting is the ability to use the "auto clean" where it works like a tube amp and you can use your volume to control the level of OD. there was also a Phase notcher (a control that lets you mimic the sound of the phase cancilation of a miced cab. There were three versions of the sustainer 100, 100A, and 200. The 100 and 100A are almost identical other than some very minor changes, the 100A was a crossover or transitional version of the 100 to the 200. the 100 and 100As usually have more gain are a bit louder (more hiss) and have a bit more grit, great for the 80s sound. The model 200's have less his and less gain a bit smoother better for the "boston" sound. The late Model 200s (89 or 90 and later) are the most sought after because of the double IC chips.

Rockman Chorus/Delay
The Rockman Rockman Chorus/Delay was one of the first rockmodules introduced. Although there are many fans of this unit I think it has some limitations. You can only select the chorus or the delay, not both together. Also the maximum delay time is only 200ms. I personally like to use at least 250ms for an echo setting. The delay is not stereo.

Other than the above limitations the unit sounds great.

Rockman Stereo Echo
This is perhaps one of the most desirable modules. The Rockman stereo echo is highly sought after and is considered by many to be one of the finest delays you can buy. Like the other modules it's beauty lies in it's simplicity.

The delay can be set to a maximum of 500ms. A curious feature of the unit is that the delay times are not exactly 1/2 of each other. The ratios were set like this so the delay would not step all over the mix.

To create a natural sunding delay there is a 6dB per octave rolloff in the feedback circuit. This means for every repeat the highs get softer and softer. This simulates the way a tape echo works.

this is easily one of the best analog delay you can ever get, they are still used in alot of studios today.

Rockman Stereo Chorus

This one of my favorite pieces of Rockman gear and in my opinion of of the best sounding chorus units available. As with all Rockman gear it's just about impossible to get a bad sound out of the Rockman Chorus. The LONG switch selects a delay time of 20ms or 40ms. The longer delay creates a more intense effect and almost sounds like a doubler. It's great for thickening up a tone.

Though not evident by the front panel the Rockman Chorus also has a "sweep stop" feature which can be activated via footswitch. Sweep stop removes the modulation.

Rockman EQ

All of the Rockman modules were designed out of need. What makes this EQ special is the concentration of frequencies in the mid-range, those most critical to the guitar.

I would run the EQ right after the sustainor. I like to add a little more bottom at 125hz if you want a bit less Rockmany. Tom Scholz would have an EQ before and after the sustainor. I would used the Rockman EQ on everything from guitars, drum machines, vocals and bass. Great Unit.

Rockman Compressor
This is one of the Rockman modules I don't know much about since the sustainor has a built in compressor I never really payed attention to this unit.

That being said it was a favorite unit amongst guitarists. I once noticed one in the backstage warm-up rack for Eddie Van Halen. I don't know if it was used on his stage setup though

Rockman XPR
The Rockman XPR was one of the last pieces of gear to be offered by SR&D. This unit had it all, compressor, chorus, delay and pre/post EQ. As I mentioned earlier Tom used to run a EQ in both the pre and post distortion phases.

This unit had 100 midi accesible user-presets. I was never too interested in this unit since I had some of the other rockman modules already.

However, they offered the XPR in a 100W boombox, which I did drool over.

Rockman Distortion Generator:
Nothing more than the Edge and Distortion circuit of the Sustainer with an added 3 band EQ before and a treble booster after the OD. Also has a MUCH improved Auto-Clean circuit
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 11, 2009,
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Reserved for the rest of the Digital Modules
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
ShredGod George
636 IQ
My frind learned to play on a soloist though headphones
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
the soloist is a great little headphone amp for cheap, most of me recording were done with it
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
ShredGod George
636 IQ
how why is tom sholz's name on them?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Scholz Invented the design and also owned the company
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by BeerChurch
Great stuff!!!
In the 80's EVERYONE had the X100. (Parents especially loved this device!)

Had one, loved it. I'm liking the stereo chorus unit. *runs to craigslist*.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
go for it greg, it's a great unit
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
shadow__666
*meaningless bollocks*
2,129 IQ
Brett, how expensive is that Stereo Chorus? I need something that gives better chorus tones than my POS CF-7...
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Flying Couch
∀ Gundam?!
1,041 IQ
I'm going to find an old X100 one of these days, I swear it.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
There's been an X100 on CL here for several months. No one seems to want it. I may pick it up since it's only $65.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Shadow, they go for between 1 and 150ish on Clist and ebay. also be sure to check HC

mmolteratx,

Jump on that now, it's a good deal X100's are going for 1-120 on ebay right now
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by Bostonrocks
Shadow, they go for between 1 and 150ish on Clist and ebay. also be sure to check HC

mmolteratx,

Jump on that now, it's a good deal X100's are going for 1-120 on ebay right now

Sweet, I'm gonna have to make a call in the morning.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
yes, yes you will. Let me know if you get it.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
no rockman love?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
There is a soloist on my clist for $100, too steep for that. If I find an X100 I'll be all over it, providing the price is right.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
anything under 100 for a x100 is good
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
311 if you like Boston tone you like rockman basically haha
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
yay, I vaugly remember that
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
man, I got to stop bumping this thing
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
why again?

what do you recommend for a beginner at the sub $600 range? Multi-wise?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 11, 2009,
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
For the Boston Sound?

Well, here are a couple of links to help you get started...
Rockman-Gearup.com
Rockmancentral.com
Rockman.fr

I recommend you start with a Rockman sustainer (100 or 200, doesn't matter 100 if you're on a budget) and rockman distortion generator. Use the Rockman sustainer for clean 1 and DISTORTION. You're going to want to also buy a dual 15 band EQ I recommend the DBX 215, great little EQ for the price used, but any 15 band dual EQ will do. You're going to want to put the first part of the EQ BEFORE the Compresser of the sustainer, and tweak to your hearts delight. After the sustainer and DG I would put a Chorus/delay, and use the delay setting on 200ms (the higheset it goes) for making your chords really big and chunky. after that a Stereo Chorus Works great to fatten up your leads and chords on the "wide" setting. After all this put the second side of your EQ here and tweak some more. This will all run you about 650-750 USD on the used market. If you're really going for the Boston sound I recommend a LP style guitar with pretty hot pups (Scholz uses DiMarzio SDs) The best place to find the stuff is on ebay, but craigslist and gear ad's are always good places to look.

Other "rockmodules" I think you should have are the Stereo Echo and midi Octopus and midi pedal. Recommended not required.

EDIT this is for a full rockman rig btw. If you want the Boston sound on a budget even lower, a Rockman Sustainer and Rockman Chorus/Delay with a 15 band EQ will be great, and cost about 315 dollars USD if you wait for the good deals.

EDIT2: if you are not going to be gigging and want to just record/play at home the X100, Soloist, and original Rockman are great and can usually be had for under 150
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 11, 2009,
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Sorry, thats kinda big isn't it.

I think there is too much in the OP though
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
Ah Got it.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
BUMP

Got a new rockman
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/1178521625.html Is this worth $150? I was looking for the distortion unit you just got and stumbled across this. Seems a tad high.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
It looks like its a late 80s one 150 isnt bad, it;s an attenuator
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
aww what the heck..

BUMP!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Mark G
UG Nerd
2,870 IQ
Hahaha the EQ intrigues me, how does it compare to the MXR 10 band and rack units like the DBX in quality and versatility?
WTLTL 2011
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
definitely better than the MXR. The DBX is going to be better if you want to have lots of contro,l the Rockman is great at the guitar frequencys and that's it. It's going to be extremely helpful EQing the mids because that's what it was made for.. the DBX is going to be better in the overall everything stuff. the DBX is going to be a bit more refined sound, the rockman a little more 'dirty' I suggest that after you buy (if) you should send it to "RockRefurbs" and they change the caps and everything for 80 bucks and it will sound amazing.

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/refurbrepai rinfo.html

you should be able to get one in europe just look around on Ebay. also it's not that hard to convert it to 240 (thats what you guys run on right?) i'll send you a schem if you like.

overall I suggest the rockman over the DBX if you are looking to EQ a guitar. if you want to eq more than that it's not going to do much because it focus's on the guitar freq range. the DBX will be better at doing whole mixes.

EDIT: Quality wise it is extremley reliable. the sliders feel a bit cheap but it works very very well.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era