Okay, I'm a n00b when it comes to scales, but is it possible to have more than one scale in a song?

Say for instance I use a Locrian scale during my verses, a Dorian for my bridge and a Phrygian for my choruses.

Is it okay to do this? I'm playing punk rock so its nothing fancy but I want to give it some melody. Thanks for any suggestions.
You can do whatever you want man, if it sounds good go for it. Lots of bands change keys in songs.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
do you mean parallel modes..
like:
C Locrian
C Dorian
C Phrygian

or just random ones
C Lorcrian
G Dorian
D Phrygian

??????

Edit: I personally have never heard a modal punk rock song.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Jan 20, 2009,
Random ones but mainly going from the root of the scale to the 5th of the root into another scale. If that makes any sense.
i get what your saying..
kinda

i'm sure you could..
BUT it'll be tricky, and probably not punk rock
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by MommasHooligan
Okay, I'm a n00b when it comes to scales, but is it possible to have more than one scale in a song?

Say for instance I use a Locrian scale during my verses, a Dorian for my bridge and a Phrygian for my choruses.

Is it okay to do this? I'm playing punk rock so its nothing fancy but I want to give it some melody. Thanks for any suggestions.

There's very little point trying to do what you're thinking - you can get all the melody you want from a single scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well alot of NOFX songs are always changing things up. Mostly due to El Jefe being a blues/jazz trained guitarist. I was just asking if it was possible. Three power chords from one scale then another 3 from a different scale.
Quote by MommasHooligan
Well alot of NOFX songs are always changing things up. Mostly due to El Jefe being a blues/jazz trained guitarist. I was just asking if it was possible. Three power chords from one scale then another 3 from a different scale.

Not from what I've heard of NOFX - their songs tend to stay in one key.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's always chromatic tones.

And instead of going modal
you could try changing keys.. that would probably be A LOT easier
Quote by joshjhasarrived
It's difficult to imagine how would modes from different keys sound in a punk rock song. Unless your keys change, then it's understandable, but then it's just a key change. But it's very non punk to play different scale on each chord, especially when they're power chords.
If you have a progression that goes Em C G D, you're not playing E Aeolian, C Lydian, G Ionian, and D Mixolydian. If you play the notes E F# G A B C D over that progression, or any Em progression, you are playing E Natural Minor and ONLY E Natural Minor.

However, it is common to play something like Dm C Dm C for the verse, then Dm Eb Em Eb (I did that in a song so that's why I use that example). It's still considered to be in the key of Dm (sorry to change key on you).

Moreover, you're not doing anything even close to modal playing in "punk rock."
Okay, thanks for the comments. I'm just trying to get an understanding of how all this stuff works.
Definitley. Just make sure they "agree" with the tone your music is taking. Like when I play a B Aeolian scale, and then want to go down to the 5th to "build tension" most people would say I'd have to use F sharp phrygian, but I'd go to F # Mixolydian, which would then lead me into B Ionian, etc. etc...You can change modes/scales and even keys as much as you want, just make sure the linking together sounds good.