I can possibly push it to 5. I'm looking to get an amp and a guitar. I was thinking, preferably, a 200 dollar amp and a 300 dollar guitar. What set up should I go for? I'm a big metal player, don't much play anything else (aside from blues and some acoustic stuff)

I'm thinking of getting a Shecter 006 Deluxe. I don't much care for looks, I care for reliability.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
If you ask me, your guitar is fine for metal (unless you want a Floyd or trem or something) but you could get a beastly amp for that price.

For instance, Peavey is releasing a 6505+ combo shortly for $550.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you ask me, your guitar is fine for metal (unless you want a Floyd or trem or something) but you could get a beastly amp for that price.

For instance, Peavey is releasing a 6505+ combo shortly for $550.

+1
and if you insist on a guitar too,
reverese those numbers
200 for guitar
300 for amp
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
is this going to be a practice amp or are you moving up to it from your practice amp, i use the raven RG60 which can do both, great cleans ok distortion, and for a SS amp it handles pedals pretty damn well. as for guitars, i cant think of any off the top of my head that are good for 300 unless your willing to go used like me.

Edit - never mind i saw your gear save up for a new amp, unless you need a bigger neck i wouldn't get a new guitar unless you really want a nice locking whammy bar or something
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 20, 2009,
Scecters are nice, I have one. But look at a Dean. the cheap VMNTs are sweet.
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
Scecters are nice, I have one. But look at a Dean. the cheap VMNTs are sweet.

he has a good point they are pretty well built for being low end deans go for the "united abominations" model the only difference between it and the regular VMNTs is the awesome paint job
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I need to update my sig, that guitar's neck is warped and I now use a ****ty dean vendetta.

300 amp, 200 guitar = amazing idea. I'm thinking either, Peavey Vypr 75 watt? Spyder 3? I know they're hated and all, but there is so much to mess with and so many sound options, I just think they're cool >.>
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I need to update my sig, that guitar's neck is warped and I now use a ****ty dean vendetta.

300 amp, 200 guitar = amazing idea. I'm thinking either, Peavey Vypr 75 watt? Spyder 3? I know they're hated and all, but there is so much to mess with and so many sound options, I just think they're cool >.>

i'll say this i don't hate spider IIIs they are great to just have but not really well in terms of upgrading but if you like a bunch of different effects to play around with go for it, but seriously check out those VMNT models they play well, im trying to think of other guitars that play well for low price, check the used section on guitar center's website, they usually have good stuff
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
i don't do used, i'm a big believer in warranties (or i'm paranoid and worry too much) can't handle the thought of knowing if my insert x hundred amount of dollar guitar/amp broke, there wasn't a warranty etc

i'm going to guitar center today, i'm going to check out the jacksons and the shecters...prob just get that line 6, it has a good enough tone (compared to my amp anyway)
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
i don't do used, i'm a big believer in warranties (or i'm paranoid and worry too much) can't handle the thought of knowing if my insert x hundred amount of dollar guitar/amp broke, there wasn't a warranty etc

i'm going to guitar center today, i'm going to check out the jacksons and the shecters...prob just get that line 6, it has a good enough tone (compared to my amp anyway)

"Good enough" isn't necessarily a good thing. For 300 dollars, you can get something in the Crate V Series, and those are GREAT amps for the price. You could always get a V Series amp and then if you need more gain just get an overdrive at some point.

Also, I recommend a tube over a Spider if you are going to go the modeling amp route.
Don't waste your money on more starter gear. Concentrate on one or the other.
I have a terrible amp though, I don't want to run an expensive guitar through a starter amp. I have a starter amp/guitar, and I'm working with about 4 to 5 hundred dollars here.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I have a terrible amp though, I don't want to run an expensive guitar through a starter amp. I have a starter amp/guitar, and I'm working with about 4 to 5 hundred dollars here.

So don't run an expensive guitar through a Spider. Look at Valvekings, B-52's, Crate Palominos and V Series, or just go used and try to find a good price on a 5150 or something. A cheap guitar through a good amp will sound MUCH better than an expensive guitar through a Spider or another cheap amp.
I wasn't going to get an expensive guitar, I'm probably going to do what that guy said and get a 200 dollar guitar and a 300 dollar amp. The guitar I have now (dean vendetta) is terrible, it has lots of fret buzz that never goes away etc, I need a new one :/
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

I have a Peavey Envoy 110 as well. It's definitely not a "terrible amp". I've seen people with FAR worse amps than my Envoy 110.

FYI, 200 to 300 dollars is not going to get you a much better amp than the Envoy 110, especially if you're buying brand new.

Seeing the gear you have now, I think you should save your money for better gear instead of more starter gear.

I can understand why people would be wary of buying used stuff, as I was too. I bought my guitar used, I played it and I felt it was worth the money, and I talked down the person in price. My amp, I bought used from a store similar to Guitar Center, it was a good deal and I paid 20 bucks for a 15 month warranty on it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by ReinventingEvil
I wasn't going to get an expensive guitar, I'm probably going to do what that guy said and get a 200 dollar guitar and a 300 dollar amp. The guitar I have now (dean vendetta) is terrible, it has lots of fret buzz that never goes away etc, I need a new one :/

Ok, so check out the Crate V Series, Blackhearts maybe, B-52's. A Spider REALLY isn't much of a step up from what you have now. In a year, you're going to want another amp if you get the Spider.
A 75 W spider 3 is 299.99 and I'd place it higher then my envoy.

It's not like I'll be gigging anytime soon anyway, I don't need amazing equipment, and I've only been playing for about 2 years so it's not like I need a 600 dollar guitar and a badass amp or anything ya know? I'm a very firm believer that your gear should reflect your ability, I'd feel like a douche if I had extremely good stuff but I couldn't rip solos and stuff.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
A 75 W spider 3 is 299.99 and I'd place it higher then my envoy.

It's not like I'll be gigging anytime soon anyway, I don't need amazing equipment, and I've only been playing for about 2 years so it's not like I need a 600 dollar guitar and a badass amp or anything ya know? I'm a very firm believer that your gear should reflect your ability, I'd feel like a douche if I had extremely good stuff but I couldn't rip solos and stuff.

Well, you are going to get better. And if your not going to be gigging anytime soon, why would you get a 75 WATT AMP? It's pointless to have an awful 75 watt amp. Go for one of the tube amps I listed above. Who cares what people think of you? I'm sure people think I don't deserve my Les Paul, but I don't care. Seriously, get equipment that will last you and that sounds good.
i wish i had $400.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by ReinventingEvil

Spider III's are loads of **** in my experience, and you'll end up hateing yourself literally weeks after buying it...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Spider III's are loads of **** in my experience, and you'll end up hateing yourself literally weeks after buying it...

THANK YOU.
Just get a new amp.
That Schecter isn't all to impressive (tone-wise).
What's the point of having two so/so guitars?

That Ibanez should do you well for now

For amps, I'd recommend
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

Sound clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

Or just wait for the new 6505 combo
It's priced at $535

Quote by Zycho
Don't waste your money on more starter gear. Concentrate on one or the other.

^That just says it all
Last edited by huevos at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by huevos
Just get a new amp.
That Schecter isn't all to impressive (tone-wise).
What's the point of having two so/so guitars?

That Ibanez should do you well for now

For amps, I'd recommend
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

Sound clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

Or just wait for the new 6505 combo
It's priced at $535

^That just says it all

Oh boy.

Read the whole thing. He doesn't have the Ibanez anymore, and he has $300 for an amp, $200 for a guitar.
Why not save up some more money so you get get something that won't need upgrading so soon. At the moment you will end up with a 200 buck guitar and probably by the end of the year you will be wanting to upgrade it. My own personal opinion is that for home playing I would rather have a real nice guitar that is easy to play feels good to hold and a roland cube 30 or boss micro br over a cheap guitar with a more expensive tube amp.
You're going from a practice amp (Peavey Envoy 110) to an oversized practice amp (Spider 3). If you've been playing for two years, you should know what sort of tone you want by now. And why would you feel like a douche if you had better equipment? I play on gear more expensive than yours and you're probably much better than me since I've been playing for under a year. It does depend whether you can afford better equipment though. I have a full time job, whereas if you're still in school, it's a different story.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by ReinventingEvil

4 to 5 hundred dollars is nothing when it comes to guitars. You admit you have starter gear right now, correct? Well what's the point of buying more starter gear? Your guitar and amp will still be of poor quality, getting you nowhere. Not only that but the resale value of starter equipment is horrendous so you're just digging yourself a hole when you could be saving up for guitar gear that has quality and will last you.

In my opinion, 400-500 dollars is going to get you a mid-range guitar or amp at best. However, at least you'll finally be making a move up from your current gear.
Eh. I don't know, I'm pretty set on getting a new guitar/amp/both with this money. It was a gift from my mother, and usually I never have my own money. I'd like to invest into guitar gear, and considering I'm a fulltime student and won't have a job till I've graduated HS and I can (legally) drive again, I won't have much money to save up.

I could go with a 300 dollar guitar, and perhaps a nice pedal/pedalboard?

Out of amps thus far, however, I'm pretty partial to the Peavey Vypr. I also like the vox modeling amps as well. Really though, I need a good metal guitar. Given the price, I could probably just keep my amp and get a really nice guitar
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I can possibly push it to 5. I'm looking to get an amp and a guitar. I was thinking, preferably, a 200 dollar amp and a 300 dollar guitar. What set up should I go for? I'm a big metal player, don't much play anything else (aside from blues and some acoustic stuff)

I'm thinking of getting a Shecter 006 Deluxe. I don't much care for looks, I care for reliability.

Thats $500 sir Anyway yeah scheters are good for what you want check out a jackson as well they make great metal guitars.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by ReinventingEvil
Eh. I don't know, I'm pretty set on getting a new guitar/amp/both with this money. It was a gift from my mother, and usually I never have my own money. I'd like to invest into guitar gear, and considering I'm a fulltime student and won't have a job till I've graduated HS and I can (legally) drive again, I won't have much money to save up.

I could go with a 300 dollar guitar, and perhaps a nice pedal/pedalboard?

Out of amps thus far, however, I'm pretty partial to the Peavey Vypr. I also like the vox modeling amps as well. Really though, I need a good metal guitar. Given the price, I could probably just keep my amp and get a really nice guitar

If you never have your own money wouldn't it make more sense to use it wisely and invest in something good? I definitely support the decision to just keep your current amp and spend the cash on a guitar. Most people on these forums will tell you to upgrade the amp first but who cares how good it sounds if you feel like you're playing a piece of ****?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20